Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Sonicjoy

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #60 on: 9 Mar 2020, 11:45 pm »
Tyson I remember Danny saying how good the first pair sounded right out of the gate. Looking forward to the improvements.

I will comment more on the sound shortly but first lets finish the build.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #61 on: 10 Mar 2020, 12:52 am »
Ok here is the crossover part.

This was the mock up I did and asked Danny to confirm that it looked correct and he did. Thanks Danny!

Here are the parts ready to go. For details on crossover assembly read the Sticky "Crossover 101" Thread.

Edit: Make the crossover board 4 7/8 inches by 8 inches. Once you have the locations for the zip ties marked, stack them and drill both at the same time so they are the same.

Here they are ready to be hooked up.

The input wires installed with the tube connectors.

Edit: Be sure to review the tube connector Sticky thread to be sure you install them correctly.

Now I will caution others to be careful with your wire lengths as there is just enough length included in the kit. Just!

All connections made and ready to install the crossovers and woofer. Tweeter is already mounted.
You should mount the tweeter before wiring it. I drilled 1/8" holes for the tweeter wires. It fits nice and snug with no sealer needed.

Edit: Notice the Kleenex box under the crossover. That's to raise it up to make the tweeter wire shorter while soldering it to the board to save wire length.

Closer view.

Mounted on the bottom with 3 screws.

Edit: You can see the two screws in the front and the third is in the center of the rear coil. Drill the holes ahead of time and start the screws before inserting the crossovers in the boxes. Be sure the screws you use are not so long that they go all the way through the bottom. I used 3/4" long screws.

Adding the poly fill as per the instructions.

Edit: Picked some up at a craft store. It does not come in the kit.

And assembled and bolted to the stands. Again I will take some better photos soon.

Showing the Norez and tweeter wires.

Edit: I drilled 1/8 inch holes in each front corner for the tweeter wires. It is a tight fit and does not need sealer.

Tube connectors and Anti Cable speaker cables.

Grill mounting clips installed. All that is left is to install the grill cloth.

Edit: A tip is you use the plastic clips like I did. Place the grill frame on the speaker. Mark the location where you want the clips. I put them 1 1/2 inches from the ends. Then drill a small 1/16 inch hole all the way through the frame and into the top of the box. This will locate the larger holes for the clips perfectly. In this case the hole are 3/8" in the box and 1/4" in the grill frame. I used forstner bits. You could use brad point bits but I would not use standard drill bits.

Grill frame installed. I decided to round over the top opening of the frame.
That was not in the instructions but seemed like a good idea as you don't want sharp edges near drivers inside or out of the speakers.
A nice flair for the sound to more smoothly roll out the top.
Note also that the grill cloth and mounting clips do not come with the kit.
I purchased these from "Simply Speakers". He even has a video on how to install the cloth on your frames.

And here they are in the primary position in my room all hooked up to the Rogue Pharaoh integrated amp that they will be paired with in my dads system.

As I mentioned all that is left is to install the grill cloth and then they are complete.

This has been a fun project for me. They turned out beautiful. The pictures don't do them justice. They really look sharp in person.
I will have the grills finished and get some good photos up soon.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2020, 08:40 pm by Sonicjoy »

witchdoctor

« Reply #62 on: 10 Mar 2020, 03:06 am »
Looks great, what was more fun, building it or using it?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #63 on: 10 Mar 2020, 11:49 am »
Hi Witchdoctor.

That's an interesting question. I would say I enjoy both pretty much equally. I love building things and I love music and playing with audio toys. I enjoy the whole process of researching the designs and learning and then seeing what others have build and then coming up with my version of a design and then seeing the end result come out as good or better than I hoped.

I admit that I had high expectations for these and so far I am thrilled with the performance and the looks. They sound amazing. Very engaging. Listening to them as I write this.

maty

« Reply #64 on: 10 Mar 2020, 11:58 am »
...They sound amazing. Very engaging. Listening to them as I write this.

With or without subs?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #65 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:45 pm »
Hi Maty.

Currently without subs. Just want to hear them on their own. I'm trying to get some hours on them and running full range should break them in faster. I do plan on hooking them up to my main system soon and will hook up the Vandersteen 2wq subs you can see in the photo. That should be a great combo. They are excellent music subs! 3- 8" drivers in sealed enclosures with hi pass filters to remove the deepest bass from the main amps/speakers will clean up the bass and mids. That is not how my dad will run them but I do want to hear what they are truly capable of.

The bass is much better than I imagined on their own. Plenty enjoyable sans subs. Especially at low listening levels.

These are breaking in nicely now. Really starting to smooth out.

More to come as I get used to them.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2020, 12:54 pm by Sonicjoy »

maty

« Reply #66 on: 10 Mar 2020, 02:02 pm »
After the burn-in, I / we would appreciate 1+2 tests:

* Speakers with the top cover, closing the tweeter, without sub.

* Speakers closer to the wall, without sub. With and without top.

WarmColors

« Reply #67 on: 11 Mar 2020, 03:51 am »
Monitors look great!!

Question. Are you making the grills your self for the top and the tweeter?

Also since the speakers are tube connectors how will you hook them up to the amp?

I personally will be using NAD or PS Audio. They offer standard speaker terminals.

Or how does everyone else hook them up? 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #68 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:05 am »
Monitors look great!!

Question. Are you making the grills your self for the top and the tweeter?

Also since the speakers are tube connectors how will you hook them up to the amp?

I personally will be using NAD or PS Audio. They offer standard speaker terminals.

Or how does everyone else hook them up? 

Tube connectors only go in on the speaker side.  For the amp side you use regular spades or banana plugs.

WarmColors

« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:18 am »
Tube connectors only go in on the speaker side.  For the amp side you use regular spades or banana plugs.

That I know but is it a special cable that Danny supplies or do we cut into the standard speaker wire and solder the tube connectors?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #70 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:19 am »
That I know but is it a special cable that Danny supplies or do we cut into the standard speaker wire and solder the tube connectors?

Solder the tube connectors to regular speaker wire.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 11 Mar 2020, 05:02 am »
Check out the sticky on Electra Tube Connector installation instructions. It has pics.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #72 on: 11 Mar 2020, 01:09 pm »
Hi guys. Tyson is correct you have to cut off whatever connectors are on the cables you are going to use and replace them with the tube connectors. Personally I prefer bare wire connections at the amp. I really like Anti Cable's speaker wire. It's inexpensive (you can buy the wire by it self and make up your own cables). It's solid core (like the internal wire Danny supplies in the kit) 12 gage wire with a very thin insulation for minimal capacitance. Because it's solid core it's stiff and you can bend and shape it as desired and it will hold that shape. You don't need cable risers and can rout it without it touching anything. Plus it sounds great, very clean and neutral.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #73 on: 11 Mar 2020, 01:12 pm »
After the burn-in, I / we would appreciate 1+2 tests:

* Speakers with the top cover, closing the tweeter, without sub.

* Speakers closer to the wall, without sub. With and without top.

Maty I will do what I can. I have limited time with these, only a couple weeks before I deliver to my dads place and set the new system for him.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #74 on: 11 Mar 2020, 01:20 pm »
Did I make the frames?

Yes I made the frames. I just have to wrap the fabric around the frames and glue it. Here is the video from Simply Speakers on installing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=mVe0sjNZXCI

Sonicjoy

« Reply #75 on: 11 Mar 2020, 02:32 pm »
So last night my wife and I had one of those rare listening experience's when the stars aligned and we were in the right mood and had the right music and everything just worked. We both had almost out of body experience's listening to Jamie Dupuis (the harp guitar guy). We were watching tv and she fell asleep and so I put youtube on started a Jamie Dupuis play list streaming and turned off the projector and the lights. Well that woke her up and we listened for almost an hour in the dark. After the second song she asked if those are the speakers I just made. I said of course and she said man that sounds good! We proceeded to just get lost in the music. It was truly an amazing experience! It takes a lot for her to even comment on anything audio related but she just kept going on and on about how good it was. Of course she loves his music and these speakers allowed it to come through in all it's glory. And that was just streaming youtube through the roku unit. She is still talking about it this morning! :D

These speakers have the ability to just disappear. Even better than my Emerald Physics EP 2.7's. and those are good.

These really are superb speakers! I must have those tweeters one day. They are incredible! Everyone talks about needing subs with these? Sure it would be nice but damn these things sound very satisfying on their own. They sound so good I don't even think about subs. Now in the long run I would use subs but if money is tight I would not worry about it at all.

Anyone on the fence about these? Don't be, you will not be disappointed.

Thank You Danny for such an amazing value!

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2020, 08:07 pm by Sonicjoy »

maty

« Reply #76 on: 11 Mar 2020, 08:24 pm »
I guess you will cry when they leave home.  :duh:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #77 on: 11 Mar 2020, 08:39 pm »
I may shed a tear or two Maty.  But I will get to visit them from time to time and that makes me feel better!

Knowing myself it is likely to push me to build a set of NX-Otica's or maybe even NX-Treme's. I have the space and no serious neighbor issues. I really like that tweeter!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #78 on: 11 Mar 2020, 10:16 pm »
A few thoughts on the sound now that I've spent some time with them.

Keep in mind that I am coming from my Emerald Physic's EP 2.7's That Danny upgrade with new high spec crossovers. That's how I came to be interested in building one of his kits. Right about that time my Dad approached me wanting help putting together a new system and it was the perfect opportunity to try out one of Danny's designs. The EP's are large open baffle full range floor standers with a compression tweeter and a 12" mid-range/mid-bass driver in a coaxial configuration and two 15" woofers per side. Hardly apples to apples.

With that in mind the main differences are in power and dynamics, scale and of course deep bass. There is just no way that the Studio's  can compete in those areas. However they hold their own and then some in imaging and transparency. On well recorded music they have an uncanny ability to disappear into the music. That tweeter is really something special! The level of subtle detail is quite remarkable. Now the EP's are very good here also but not quite to the level of the planer tweeter. We watch tv on this system as well and I have found myself distracted from the story at times by the subtle sounds of things in the back round on shows and movies (and even the music). Modern tv sound tracks are very well recorded these days. Every bit as good as most music I find.  Anyway I find myself closing my eyes and just listening to all the little sounds even more than with the EP's.

Tonally The Studio's are very seductive as well. They are getting smoother as they break in. I currently have about 50 hours on them. I'm sure there is more improvement to come. They are very addicting to listen to and are very good at low level listening.

I know they were designed for monitoring and near field use (which I have not tried yet) but I am here to tell you that they work beautifully in normal speaker listening use. In my case they are 5 feet from the front wall and about 8 feet apart and 9 feet from the listening sweet spot.(there is about 6 feet to the wall behind the listening position)

These provide a level of sound quality and refinement that is unheard of at this price point. They are beautiful sounding speakers!

The blending of the two drivers is excellent I can not detect any issues in the crossover region. Vocals and horns are very well rendered.

The only slight detraction I have noticed is a slight boxy sound to the upper bass do to the fact that they are indeed box speakers. If I was not used to the open baffle sound I would not likely have noticed it. It is very slight. Just an observation rather than a complaint. These are very dense and solid little boxes.

The bass response is very good and well controlled. It sounds deeper than the spec's led me to believe. In fact is quite satisfying even stand mounted and well out in the room where there is little room gain. I will try them close to the wall soon Maty.

Now of course with small 6" drivers and full range music and sound tracks you do have to be careful with the volume control and keep an eye on the excursion. You can start to hear when it's nearing it's limit. This is where subs will come in and clean up the upper bass and mid's as well as extend the low end and allow for much higher SPL's.

For their size they sound big and full. But they do not sound as large as the big EP's (how could they?) but I am very impressed and I think my dad is in for a very nice surprise as is anyone else that decides to try them.

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2020, 04:56 am by Sonicjoy »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #79 on: 11 Mar 2020, 11:06 pm »
Here is a comparison shot.