Newcomer to vinyl

TrabimanUK

Newcomer to vinyl
« on: 20 May 2019, 11:10 am »
Hi,

I've recently purchased a turntable as I've been collecting vinyl for a while and had nothing to play it on.

I've got an old Denon PMA-280 integrated amp from my younger days, CD player, speakers and they all fit together well and play well.

The turntable is a new thing for me and I've done a lot of reading and got nicely confused.  I've got a ProJect DC Carbon (picked it up cheap as a starter turntable to learn on), only I don't know if I need or would benefit from a phono stage/pre-amp.  My Denon amp has a built-in phono stage, but some articles say that an external (modern) phono stage (e.g. rega Fono) will still make a difference, but I can't find anything definitive to say DC Carbon + Denon is good or DC Carbon + Phono Stage + Denon is better (or even works or how best to connect it!).

Any pointers will be gratefully received,

Many thanks,

Grant

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Newcomer to vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2019, 07:01 pm »
Welcome Grant :thumb:
An external phono stage will add no more quality per se due additional connections, unless its very hi quality imo. As a recommendation I could look a all tube phono stage.

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 08:03 pm »
Hi Grant.  There are loads of good inexpensive phono pre's out there.  Just do a quick search within your budget, take your time and I'm sure you will find something in your price range that will better the internal one you have now.

Ric

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 08:09 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Grant  :thumb:  Lot of enjoyment to be found in vinyl at all levels. First is simply getting things setup & running correctly. Take it a step at a time, do your research, and enjoy the journey.  8)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2019, 08:43 pm »
Make sure you have the cart (what cart?) properly installed. I would think the phono section in the Denon is fine for starting out. Relax and enjoy.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2019, 09:13 pm »
Make sure you have the cart (what cart?) properly installed. I would think the phono section in the Denon is fine for starting out. Relax and enjoy.
This is sound advice.  I'd add the importance of getting vinyl clean.  Look for a deal on a second hand vacuum cleaner... or if you can DIY, build an ultrasonic cleaner.  They make a world of difference. 
Don't sweat the finer points at this time.  Get your rig set up, get your cartridge installed, get your vinyl clean, and enjoy your music.  You can look for upgrades down the road.   :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2019, 09:46 pm »

Hey!

My thought exactly after I've read Grant/TrabimanUK's post.

Having turntable and cart set up properly is the most important and should be first priority. And I don't think spending $200-300 for a new external phono pre would be a huge leap in performance at this point. Likely that $100-200 external phono pre will have similar circuitry design using op-amp as the one in your Denon right now

Use and enjoy what you have now for a while and see how thing work out for you and note what you like and what you want to improve and than plan for upgrade later.

Buddy

TrabimanUK

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2019, 07:01 am »
Hi guys,

thank you for your responses.  I like the sound of saving some cash and just using the amp's built-in phono stage!

I'll let you know how things go,

cheers,

Grant   :D

undertowogt1

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2019, 03:02 pm »
My First real turntable  was a project Debute III, I had it for 13 years or so. The table served me well and provided me with pretty good sound. I kind of tweaked out the table with Dampening material under the platter and on the motor. I also made a DIY sandbox for the table to sit on. The most important thing was I  learned how to set up the table and Cart properly with the proper tools. Tracking force gauge, alignment protractor, azimuth etc. Without this knowledge you may not be happy with the sound. Though I was pretty happy with my Project table, eventually on my Vinyl journey I move up significantly with my turntable. )P.S. Make sure you remove the screws by the motor, they are just for transport. If you do keep the screws you can isolate them with rubber washers.

kclark0395

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2019, 04:21 pm »
The built in phono stage you have should be fine. Rather than spending a few hundred for what might be marginally better I'd consider a record cleaning machine instead. That's something you'll have a long time and will improve the sound of most if not all your records. At this stage money would be best spent on adding music to your collection and once you decide vinyl is definitely for you, start saving to upgrade.