Klipsch Gate Streaming Device

dr_skoobie

Re: Klipsch Gate Streaming Device
« Reply #60 on: 5 Apr 2019, 10:45 pm »
Recently picked up a PW Link and have been putting it through its paces (not ARC, yet).

Since the Gate also uses Play-Fi, thought I would ask here: has anyone found a satisfying way to access media from their local network on these devices? I have a lot of artists, albums, and tunes ripped and the interface is clunky and time consuming compared to e.g., Volumio (which has search and other useful functions) on RPi...?

witchdoctor

« Reply #61 on: 6 Apr 2019, 01:10 am »
Recently picked up a PW Link and have been putting it through its paces (not ARC, yet).

Since the Gate also uses Play-Fi, thought I would ask here: has anyone found a satisfying way to access media from their local network on these devices? I have a lot of artists, albums, and tunes ripped and the interface is clunky and time consuming compared to e.g., Volumio (which has search and other useful functions) on RPi...?

Try Alexa, from Paradigm website:

Works with Alexa
Paradigm DTS Play-Fi products now have “Works with Alexa” certification, meaning they can be controlled using voice commands given to an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Fire TV Cube, or other Alexa voice command-enabled device. Alexa functionality is activated by using the Alexa app to enable the DTS Play-Fi skill. This links your Alexa account to "Works with Alexa" DTS Play-Fi compatible products like this one.

After installing the skill, Alexa will know your speaker by name and allow you to control volume and playback functions such as track skip, mute, pause, and stop or request a song to play in a specific room or group of rooms linked together. Once an Alexa voice command is used to start audio playback, the DTS Play-Fi app can be used to dynamically add more products to the streaming session. Additionally, Alexa's Routines feature can be used to create events that initiate audio playback on your DTS Play-Fi speaker, such as setting up your speaker to work as an alarm clock by starting your favorite song.

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/how-do-i-set-up-alexa-on-my-play-fi-system

witchdoctor

« Reply #62 on: 6 Apr 2019, 01:13 am »
I have a kindle that is alexa enabled, I'll just say Alexa play (song or album) from (source) in (location) and it just works.

The PW Link can also be fed via RCA, spdif, and the "line in" feature of the playfi app.

I own the PW Amp and you will love what ARC can do with a sub!

cynum

« Reply #63 on: 21 Apr 2019, 09:16 pm »
Hi guys,

After days of searching through the net I was happy to find you people with similar wishes than me :-)
I was glad to read that the Klipsch Gate seems to do what I want, namely broadcast a signal at it's line-in to Play-Fi compatible speakers. That feature seems to be hard to get, although the Bluesound node+speakers might be able to, are quite expensive and proprietary, though. Play-Fi seems more my thing.

I have some more doubts though before I buy the new components.
It will work with non-Klipsch Play-Fi speakers as well, right?
The Klipsch Powergate aux-in will work in the same way as the one on the Gate does? (I am considering the powergate just because it has bluetooth included, I don't actually need the AMP)

Since I want a battery-driven Playfi speaker I am considering Wren Sound V3USP, or the Polk Audio Omni S2R since they seem to be the only one I can find that may be able to deliver what I need. Any thoughts on those or any other suggestions? I couldn't find any other suitable Playfi speakers.

Doany of you do the same setup with a Paradigm PW link?
I am considering that one because I have a good external DAC and I would like to have a digital out on my "Play-Fi-Hub" (Klipsch Gate/Powergate or Paradigm PW Link).
I would like to use my existing devices via digital or analog-in on the PW-link to stream to Playfi speakers and on the other hand allow other streaming services to go via digital-out from the PW-link to my DAC and from that analog to the amp and stationary speakers. Would this work?

Does anyone have experience with the SVS wireless Soundbase?
Seems to do the same as the Klipsch Powergate but is more expensive - does anybody know if it has any advantage (SQ?).

Thank you so much for this thread!
Cheers!

Hagarthehorrible

« Reply #64 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:10 pm »
Hello witchdoctor
How would you compare the pw amp to the powergate, in regards to sound quality. I am interested in purchasing one of these units. Thanks

witchdoctor

« Reply #65 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:12 pm »

It will work with non-Klipsch Play-Fi speakers as well, right?

Yes

The Klipsch Powergate aux-in will work in the same way as the one on the Gate does? (I am considering the powergate just because it has bluetooth included, I don't actually need the AMP)

Yes

Since I want a battery-driven Playfi speaker I am considering Wren Sound V3USP, or the Polk Audio Omni S2R since they seem to be the only one I can find that may be able to deliver what I need. Any thoughts on those or any other suggestions? I couldn't find any other suitable Playfi speakers.

I LOVE the Polk S6, I have 3 of them setup in mono in 3 different rooms. Very capable:

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/s6

I also have the DefTech W7 set up as a stereo pair in the dining room:

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/w7

The W7 is better as a pair. The S6 will be fine solo or as a stereo pair.

Doany of you do the same setup with a Paradigm PW link?

Yes, the PWlink will be better as a power amp paired with a sub because of ARC. The Powergate has more features, a better dac and a remote.

I am considering that one because I have a good external DAC and I would like to have a digital out on my "Play-Fi-Hub" (Klipsch Gate/Powergate or Paradigm PW Link).

I would like to use my existing devices via digital or analog-in on the PW-link to stream to Playfi speakers and on the other hand allow other streaming services to go via digital-out from the PW-link to my DAC and from that analog to the amp and stationary speakers. Would this work?

IDK, check the PW Amp manual.

Does anyone have experience with the SVS wireless Soundbase?
Seems to do the same as the Klipsch Powergate but is more expensive - does anybody know if it has any advantage (SQ?).

Thank you so much for this thread!
Cheers!
[/quote]

Scott F.

« Reply #66 on: 22 Apr 2019, 04:34 pm »
Witchdoctor
Thanks for the thread. The Gate looks like what I've been looking for. Like you, I've got an older Marantz and it handles music to differing zones in our house. Never been thrilled with the JRiver/Gizmo/Marantz interface collection of apps. I've also got numerous other systems besides the home theater/MZ setup. That is where I'll be utilizing the Gate but I'll also install one in front of the Marantz so I have a one streaming app that I use. My main listening system is handled by JRiver and a BMC DAC. I've also got a Klipsch "The One" wireless speaker that I love. Glad to see it will become part of the 'ecosystem'.

My question is on the USB port. Can it be used to feed a DAC, in particular an old MHDT tube DAC? Not sure if the USB port is input only or bidirectional sending data out. The manual doesn't mention this capability. If not, it isn't a big deal. I'll just use the RCAs. Just wanted to add a little more tube flavor to one or two of my other systems.

witchdoctor

« Reply #67 on: 22 Apr 2019, 06:07 pm »
Witchdoctor
Thanks for the thread. The Gate looks like what I've been looking for. Like you, I've got an older Marantz and it handles music to differing zones in our house. Never been thrilled with the JRiver/Gizmo/Marantz interface collection of apps. I've also got numerous other systems besides the home theater/MZ setup. That is where I'll be utilizing the Gate but I'll also install one in front of the Marantz so I have a one streaming app that I use. My main listening system is handled by JRiver and a BMC DAC. I've also got a Klipsch "The One" wireless speaker that I love. Glad to see it will become part of the 'ecosystem'.

My question is on the USB port. Can it be used to feed a DAC, in particular an old MHDT tube DAC? Not sure if the USB port is input only or bidirectional sending data out. The manual doesn't mention this capability. If not, it isn't a big deal. I'll just use the RCAs. Just wanted to add a little more tube flavor to one or two of my other systems.

Hi, the USB port can be used for a wired ethernet connection with an adapter but NOT as a digital out. You can connect the analog out of your dac to the analog in of your gate though.

cynum

« Reply #68 on: 22 Apr 2019, 08:29 pm »
Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. Super helpful!

I LOVE the Polk S6, I have 3 of them setup in mono in 3 different rooms. Very capable:
I also have the DefTech W7 set up as a stereo pair in the dining room:
The W7 is better as a pair. The S6 will be fine solo or as a stereo pair.

Both seem to need a power cable, however. No battery. But thanks anyways for the tip!

Yes, the PWlink will be better as a power amp paired with a sub because of ARC. The Powergate has more features, a better dac and a remote.

OH! The powergate has a better DAC? Then it will be Klipsch for me most probably.

Thanks m8!

cynum

« Reply #69 on: 22 Apr 2019, 08:31 pm »

That's why I am considering the PW Link instead of the Klipsch, because the PW had a digital out that you could feed to a digital input on your DAC. Would do what you want, no?

Hagarthehorrible

« Reply #70 on: 23 Apr 2019, 01:53 am »
I have a kindle that is alexa enabled, I'll just say Alexa play (song or album) from (source) in (location) and it just works.

The PW Link can also be fed via RCA, spdif, and the "line in" feature of the playfi app.

I own the PW Amp and you will love what ARC can do with a sub!

How would you compare the PW Amp to the Powergate?

bonnevam

« Reply #71 on: 21 May 2019, 11:55 am »
Hello,

First of all, I hope you will understand me because I am French...

I just received a Kilpsch gate and so I installed Klipsch Stream and Klipsch Stream Utility on my Android smartphone.
I connected the box to my wifi network and then searched for available updates using Klipsch Stream Utility.

He found me two. I was able to install the 1st update without any problem but it's impossible for me to install the 2nd (FW version v: 1.32) , the "updated" button is not bronze but grey.

I think I follow the procedure, press the power button long while plugging the power cord into the Klipsch gate.
I see the progress of the download on my smartphone and, once 100% the Klipsch gate restarts as it did for the 1st update but this 2nd update is not installed... because Klipsch Stream Utility proposes again it to me every time. I must have done this operation about ten times without success....

And, to finish, it's impossible for me to use my Klipsch Stream Gate because it announces me that this 2nd update is available and must be installed before I can use my Klipsch gate....
Can I download this 2nd firmware as a file and install it on my Klipsch Gate with a USB key?

thank you in advance for your answers

witchdoctor

« Reply #72 on: 21 May 2019, 04:59 pm »
Hello,

First of all, I hope you will understand me because I am French...

I just received a Kilpsch gate and so I installed Klipsch Stream and Klipsch Stream Utility on my Android smartphone.
I connected the box to my wifi network and then searched for available updates using Klipsch Stream Utility.

He found me two. I was able to install the 1st update without any problem but it's impossible for me to install the 2nd (FW version v: 1.32) , the "updated" button is not bronze but grey.

I think I follow the procedure, press the power button long while plugging the power cord into the Klipsch gate.
I see the progress of the download on my smartphone and, once 100% the Klipsch gate restarts as it did for the 1st update but this 2nd update is not installed... because Klipsch Stream Utility proposes again it to me every time. I must have done this operation about ten times without success....

And, to finish, it's impossible for me to use my Klipsch Stream Gate because it announces me that this 2nd update is available and must be installed before I can use my Klipsch gate....
Can I download this 2nd firmware as a file and install it on my Klipsch Gate with a USB key?

thank you in advance for your answers

Yes you can install the file via USB. If you are using wireless make sure the Gate is really close to your router.

witchdoctor

« Reply #73 on: 21 May 2019, 05:02 pm »
How would you compare the PW Amp to the Powergate?

The PW Amp ARC is the best at integrating the sub with the speakers. If you are using an external dac you will need the PW Amp.
The Powergate sounds a little better driving my desktop setup and is a true integrated amp. I could easily live with either one. Depending on the room the PW Amp could easily sound better because of ARC.

bonnevam

« Reply #74 on: 22 May 2019, 11:25 am »
Thank you for your answer but I can't find this firmware as a file despite all my research.
where can I download it?

witchdoctor

« Reply #75 on: 22 May 2019, 03:01 pm »
Thank you for your answer but I can't find this firmware as a file despite all my research.
where can I download it?

Watch this, then download the update to your phone and then transfer the file to a thumb drive:

https://youtu.be/0Eok_GjgfZw

nycjag

« Reply #76 on: 27 Sep 2019, 05:29 pm »
Hey, there. I have one of these on the way to me, which I got from Amazon for $30. I am only using this thing a streamer for a set of powered speakers, not multi-room. I assume that the max stream it can handle is a 24/96 stream correct? And I just run it either using and auxiliary cable or 3.5 to rca set-up, correct?

It can't/won't stream higher than 96, right? Thanks!

witchdoctor

« Reply #77 on: 27 Sep 2019, 10:28 pm »
Hey, there. I have one of these on the way to me, which I got from Amazon for $30. I am only using this thing a streamer for a set of powered speakers, not multi-room. I assume that the max stream it can handle is a 24/96 stream correct? And I just run it either using and auxiliary cable or 3.5 to rca set-up, correct?

It can't/won't stream higher than 96, right? Thanks!

It will handle 24/192, just make sure to use Critical Listening mode in the Play Fi app.
The auxilary cable or 3.5 to rca works fine. I use a mogami 3.5 to rca and has nice SQ. Here is the manual:

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-manuals/Gate-Manual-v8.pdf

Cacophonix

« Reply #78 on: 30 Sep 2019, 05:02 am »
So after my last firmware upgrade, i get no audio out anymore. I can connect to it via the stream app, but get zero output. Also, the button on top don't seem to light up. I searched online but don't seem to find anything useful wrt to this issue. Oh, another thing i noticed was that when i click on the critical listening mode, this klipsch gate device is marked as "unsupported device".

Anyone experienced this, and/or know how to reset the device? I really liked it while it worked ... :(

Brettio

« Reply #79 on: 30 Sep 2019, 12:00 pm »
So after my last firmware upgrade, i get no audio out anymore. Also, the button on top don't seem to light up.

I’m running two of these and a while ago, after an update, the ‘On’ (?) button on top stopped lighting up and I couldn’t connect to it.  Since the other unit wasn’t affected by the update I assumed it was an issue with the unit so I reached out to the amazon seller who replaced it free of charge.  Since then I’ve had no issues (I use one almost daily).  I did notice the other day that they’ve jumped up to $99.00 each which is considerably more than I paid for mine (thank you Witchdoctor!).  I also paid the extra couple bucks for the extended warranty but don’t think it mattered in this case as the unit was only a month or two old and never came up in my discussion with the seller.

There may be a workaround for this issue but this was my experience.
Brett