Crackling noises from SP3

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Crackling noises from SP3
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2018, 12:31 am »
In my experience, James, Stan, and the entire Bryston team are highly focused on customer service and very responsive.

Have you reached out to Stan to describe the issue, so he can see if there is a viable fix via a firmware update?

Yes, a few years ago. No firmware upgrade. Stan DID send me a few things to try. I confess that I lost/misplaced his recommendations before I had the time to try them.

Buseto

« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2018, 08:55 am »
I don't think it's an individual problem. It seems to happen with more users.

I have cited in this thread the reaction Stan gave. But I didn't describe well what the reason was for the reaction Stan gave.

I quote from my mail to Stan: 'When I tried to play a Blu Ray (more exactly when the Blu ray is trying to switch tot the HiRes file (or probably better: when passing the drm) a strange hard distorting noise came from the speakers, so disturbing that I feared about them. So I hastily turned down the volume, pressed the stop, …
My idea was: it’s a faulty Blu Ray.
But alas, it happened more often, though not with all Blu Rays. (And never with dvd’s.)'

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2018, 03:26 am »
In my case, it happens when going from previews or the menu to the main movie (so definitely a switch in audio formats). It also can happen when I pause the movie for several minutes and then start it again. I do NOT experience this when I use headphones (and thus the 2-ch analog output from the SP-3 into my BHA-1).

It does seem like the SP3 is trying to lock (back) on to the lossless audio formats.

Buseto

« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2018, 07:46 am »
Did you try Stan's advice? (from my earlier mail):
This is what Stan advised:
'I asked about trying CBL/SAT input because there is a special handling of the HDMI implemented on this particular input, dealing with some TV cable boxes.   The special feature involves recovery after sudden switching between adertisements interruptions (typically PCM 2ch or old Dolby 2 channel format), and high resolution audio play (Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio).     

CBL/SAT input treats every PCM multichannel at 192k samples/s as a case of mis-detection of one of the high resolution streams (Dolby THD or DTSHDMA) and forces the system to reset detection which prevents loss-of sync noise.   Other inputs like DVD, DVR etc do not do that and allow PCM multichannel at 192k as is.   Until now, this problem was reported only with some cable TV decoder boxes, but it is possible that the same on the fly stream changes are now encoded in the newer blue ray disks.  We have to keep an eye on it.  For the time being if you find that CBL/SAT fixes this issue, please let us know so that we will implement a parameter allowing this to be enable for other inputs.   Note that the side effect is that (in 2015.04b) it will not allow you to play multichannel PCM 7.1 sources at 192k from CBL/SAT.'

WillyP

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2018, 08:47 am »
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that in the newer firmware this parameter is available for all HDMI ports. I have disabled the 192k option for HDMI input 1 (DVD) and until now I have not heard any disturbing noise. I have only tried a few Blu-rays, though.

I do not have any idea if there are many multichannel PCM 7.1 sources at 192k. On the display of the SP3, I have never seen higher numbers than 48 (for movies) or 88.2 (for SACDs). Who can tell me more about this?

There may be a side effect. I noticed once that switching to another input confused the SP3 and there was no sound, but of course, this could be a coincidence.

I will play some more Blu-rays and I will let you know if the noises are definitely gone now. I hope so!

Willy

Buseto

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2018, 12:00 pm »
@WillyP

In the notes for Fw 2016.04b [most recent is: 2016.08b] I found the following passage:
"Added OTHER parameter HDMI-PCM-192k 
disable/enable to  improve detection of Dolby THD and DTS HDMA lossless high resolution formats
("disable" prevents mis-detection during THD and HDMA formats switching but disable 192k PCM, 
"enable" allows PCM 192k but may occasionally may cause loss of synch when THD or HDMA formats switch tracks on some blue ray players). 
Default is "enable".   
Does not affect 176.4k or lower rates PCM."

So it seems that you are right. Thanks!!
I hadn't (knowingly) seen this passage before.

By the way, I'm still interested in your findings.

WillyP

« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2018, 12:22 am »
I have tried a few Blu-ray discs now with the suggested setting by Stan, but I can't say that the cracks are completely gone, unfortunately. It is better than it used to be but not good enough for me.

So I have decided to go back to my first settings, with the output from the HDMI port of my Blu-ray player configured as LPCM.

Willy

Buseto

« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2018, 04:00 pm »
That's a pity.

Thanks for sharing.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2019, 05:35 pm »
Bumping an ancient thread.   I've been living with this exact situation and it's so tiring.   I found this thread via a search but unfortunately changing the HDMI-192K parameter setting did nothing.   I still get a terrible snap when starting a movie from my HTPC, usually when the codec is changing from a Dolby variant to DTS.

Stan, if you're out there - is there anything we can do?    The sound is brutal and i'm tired of apologizing to my guests AND my speakers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 17 May 2019, 05:49 pm »
I will forward this to Stan for you.

james

brucek

« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2019, 07:48 pm »
Bumping an ancient thread.   I've been living with this exact situation and it's so tiring.   I found this thread via a search but unfortunately changing the HDMI-192K parameter setting did nothing.   I still get a terrible snap when starting a movie from my HTPC, usually when the codec is changing from a Dolby variant to DTS.

Stan, if you're out there - is there anything we can do?    The sound is brutal and i'm tired of apologizing to my guests AND my speakers.

I would think a small amount of chirp is normal before a DTS decoder detects the bitstream, but in your case it seems more than a chirp.

I think in general every manufacturer handles the problem of switching between bitstreams somewhat differently. My understanding is that in digital, the incoming bitstream is constantly monitored so the decoders will know whether the appropriate decoding is PCM, AC-3 (2.0, 5.1 etc) or DTS of various flavors.

When the processors DSP's first receive or detect a change in the encoded material they immediately mute the volume controllers and the correct bitstream detection routines are enabled. You sure don't want to hear what comes out your speakers while this nonsense is going on - it can be very damaging to the speakers in some cases.

But there's a tradeoff (as there always is in electronics). A manufacturer is perfectly capable of holding the mute long enough and combine it with a soft volume increase, but then everyone would be complaining they had to wait too long until their decoders locked onto the signal. Alternately, if the volume controller is un-muted too quickly you will get a digital chirp. So, while some manufacturers equipment seems to take forever for a "mode" change, others hedge their bets and you get that digital chirp.

I wonder if that's the problem?

brucek

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2019, 10:19 pm »
I didn't look, but I'm guessing one of my posts is up there too. I think calling that sound a "chirp" is like calling a fire truck siren a "whistle". It's always loud (louder than whatever starts playing afterwards), startling, and very brief (less than 1 sec).

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2019, 02:56 am »
Exactly, Grit.  Best description I have is...like an electrical *SNAP* or *ZZZT* at 105dB.   Half a second at most.

WillyP

« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2019, 11:55 am »
I have mentioned it before in this thread but I have changed the output format from my Blu ray player from Bitstream to LPCM and I haven't heard the crackling noises since the format was changed. This is more important for me than an eventual loss in sound quality. The information that appears in the display window of the SP3 is not as informative as it used to be, but again, the absence of those chirps for me far outweighs these minor issues.

I don't know if this is possible for a HTPC but for a Blu ray player, it is worth a try.

HTH

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2019, 09:58 pm »
Hi Willy P,

What is HTPC ? 
If it is the cable receiver problem, with HDMI when switching between Dolby 2 channel commercial play and DTS multichannel movie content, then the new HDMi HSR72Q firmware version 52 would help.  MDS addressed that glitch in the recent firmware release.  That would work if and only if:

1) your card is HSR72Q (7 input 2 outputs 600MHz) 

and

2) You would be able to send the unit to swap the card because the new HSR72Q cards no longer support the in-circuit programming feature that the old HDMI cards in the SP3 have used. 

Stan Bleszynski
Bryston
c/c James Tanner

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2019, 05:11 pm »
Hi Willy P,

What is HTPC ? 
If it is the cable receiver problem, with HDMI when switching between Dolby 2 channel commercial play and DTS multichannel movie content, then the new HDMi HSR72Q firmware version 52 would help.  MDS addressed that glitch in the recent firmware release.  That would work if and only if:

and

2) You would be able to send the unit to swap the card because the new HSR72Q cards no longer support the in-circuit programming feature that the old HDMI cards in the SP3 have used. 

Stan Bleszynski
Bryston
c/c James Tanner

"... the new HSR72Q cards..." ---> New, as of when?

WillyP

« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2019, 12:41 pm »
Hi Willy P,

What is HTPC ? 

and

Stan Bleszynski
Bryston
c/c James Tanner

Hi Stan, I have sent an E-mail to you.

Kind regards,

WillyP

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2019, 01:25 pm »
HTPC = Home Theater PC.   Connected via HDMI to the SP3 for sound and 4K video.

Stan/James - I recently had the 4K HDMI upgrade applied to my SP3 (late last year I think) Does that mean I already have the HSR72Q firmware update?    Is there a way for us to check?

stanb

« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2019, 03:43 pm »
Hi gravy,

From the main screen press right arrow beside the display (or use remote), then navigate to
SYSTEM SETUP-->TESTS-->SYSTEM STATUS-->HDMI VERSN

The value is 8 digit code, explanation of the code is given in this document:

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/sp3/documents/SP3_HDMI_board_revisions.txt

The older HSR72Q (from 2017 on) will read 00023A2E

Software release 46.2     (.2 = 0002)
Version 3Ah = 58= HSR72Q hardware model

The most recent boards installed from 2 months ago, have a speeded-up format switching
 (according to manufacturer) would read 00343A2E
Software release 46.52     (52 = hex 0034)
Version 3Ah = 58= HSR72Q hardware model

I hope it helps,
Stan B.,
Bryston

WillyP

« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2019, 09:33 pm »
Hi Stan,

When I do this, my SP3 returns the code 000F3A2E, which is not on the list.

Can you explain to me what this means?

Thank you in advance.

Willy