Survey: What HiRez-capable player/processor/DAC do you use?

santacore

Re: Survey: What HiRez-capable player/processor/DAC do you use?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2009, 10:01 pm »
MacBook Pro>Locus Audio Axis>Empirical Offramp3 on battery power>Nordost Silver Shadow>Xindak DAC8.

I pretty much stick to red book stuff, but look forward to more hi-rez downloads.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jun 2009, 12:40 am »
My only Hi rez is my Pioneer dv-59 udp. My Bryston BDA1 on redbooks smokes the dvd audio and sacd. It works as a nice transport though. However I am still interested in finding more sacd's for it. I really like the marantz 9600 udp. Its a solid machine, would like to replace my pioneer with it. The marantz is a nice cd transport i find too.

If the BDA-1 smokes it (BTW, i'm demoing it and i agree it's very nice) then why don;t yous et the DV-59 to send up-to-192k LPCM out the coax and have the Bryston be you DVD_A DAC (can't do for SACD, of course, but can for DVD-A).

didnt know i could do that.... :lol: . going to give that a try later. thanx

Nevermind.  I just downloaded the owners manual, and the 59AVI is an older model that will only output up to 96k if you set "LPCM and down sample off" in the dig outs (page 63-64).  It downconverts 176 and 192k audio out those ouitputs regardless.  :(

My cheap Oppo will do 192k although I love the sound of the Modwright Denon 3910 so I go that route.  The Oppo is a nice 176k and 192k digital downloaded file transport for a DAC though; I just take 176k and 192k hirez files and author them as DVD-A, via something easy like DVD Audio Solo, and i send them out the Oppo digital outs to a 192k DAC.

I thought that DVD-A capable players would downsample the digital out to 44kz as copy protection.  :scratch: Wonder if I could use my Yamaha Universal player in a similar fashion...

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:42 am »
My only Hi rez is my Pioneer dv-59 udp. My Bryston BDA1 on redbooks smokes the dvd audio and sacd. It works as a nice transport though. However I am still interested in finding more sacd's for it. I really like the marantz 9600 udp. Its a solid machine, would like to replace my pioneer with it. The marantz is a nice cd transport i find too.

If the BDA-1 smokes it (BTW, i'm demoing it and i agree it's very nice) then why don;t yous et the DV-59 to send up-to-192k LPCM out the coax and have the Bryston be you DVD_A DAC (can't do for SACD, of course, but can for DVD-A).

Nevermind.  I just downloaded the owners manual, and the 59AVI is an older model that will only output up to 96k if you set "LPCM and down sample off" in the dig outs (page 63-64).  It downconverts 176 and 192k audio out those ouitputs regardless.  :(

My cheap Oppo will do 192k although I love the sound of the Modwright Denon 3910 so I go that route.  The Oppo is a nice 176k and 192k digital downloaded file transport for a DAC though; I just take 176k and 192k hirez files and author them as DVD-A, via something easy like DVD Audio Solo, and i send them out the Oppo digital outs to a 192k DAC.

I thought that DVD-A capable players would downsample the digital out to 44kz as copy protection.  :scratch: Wonder if I could use my Yamaha Universal player in a similar fashion...

I thought that too, a few years ago, and argued the point until I found out I was wrong.  For whatever reason there is a category (typically cheaper ones FWIW) of DVD-A player that let's EVERYTHING, including protected MLP stuff, through the coax outs (2 channel, of course).  I've tested just about every label and disc type of DVD-A and players like the Oppo 980 let full 24/192 get to my DAC, regardless of MLP, LPCM, PPCM, ICBM ....yadayayda

Moon Doggy

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2009, 08:30 am »

I thought that too, a few years ago, and argued the point until I found out I was wrong.  For whatever reason there is a category (typically cheaper ones FWIW) of DVD-A player that let's EVERYTHING, including protected MLP stuff, through the coax outs (2 channel, of course).  I've tested just about every label and disc type of DVD-A and players like the Oppo 980 let full 24/192 get to my DAC, regardless of MLP, LPCM, PPCM, ICBM ....yadayayda

Thats great news and a really big help to my Hi REz ambitions. My Yamaha Universal only does 24/88 & 24/96 on the dig coax out "unless copy protected". So I'll have to give it a try and hook it up to my DAC. Maybe a used Oppo that does 24/192 is in my future for Hi-Rez files burnt to DVD! 8)

bunnyma357

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:34 am »
Setting up a system that will be for digitizing LP's at 192/24 and using downloaded files on the computer, no HiRez transports. Very budget conscious set up with both ADC/DAC for 192/24 files.

System will be iMac to Focusrite Saffire 26 I/O and then either out of the Focusrite or into a Zero DAC, depending on which sounds better. I should get the Focusrite sometime next week.

Jim C

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2009, 09:25 pm »
I'm currently using the following....

Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/CD/DVD player
Sony SCD-CE595 5-disc SACD/CD changer

I have a brand-new Sony DVP-NS775V sitting in a box in the garage, but I'm considering a player that can also play DVD-A.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2009, 10:00 pm »
Source files: .ape or .flac (high-res downloads or 24/96 vinyl rips)

EMU1616M sound card>StereoVox XV2 coax>Peachtree Nova

Thinking about getting an SACD player but I don't even own any, friends do however.

DC

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2009, 06:38 pm »
Mac Mini > Gigawork 24/192 DAC > Yamaha RX-V2700

The Gigawork enables we to use my old Mac Mini with USB. It was $99 plus shipping but included only the board and power supply. Installing it in a Hammond case was relatively easy. There's an extensive thread on the Gigawork at diyAudio, and the DAC-nophils compare it to $800 units. (Have no opinion on this myself.) I'm planning a recommended mod that involves bypassing the analog outputs as soon as the parts arrive. This change will supposedly take the DAC to a whole new level.  :wink:

ashok

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2009, 11:00 pm »
A little late to the party here ...

You may have seen the thread in the Discless Circle about Networked Media Tanks. I use one called the ioBox. The set up is

ioBox --> Keces DA 131.1 24/192 DAC -->  passive pre --> diytube ST35

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:32 am »
A little late to the party here ...

You may have seen the thread in the Discless Circle about Networked Media Tanks. I use one called the ioBox. The set up is

ioBox --> Keces DA 131.1 24/192 DAC -->  passive pre --> diytube ST35

Did you go with the media streamer or NAS server?

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jul 2009, 02:20 am »
My current setup:

Logitech Transporter 24/96
Empirical Audio PaceCar2 dual SuperClock4's
Bryston BDA-1 DAC

mgalusha

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2009, 03:34 am »
Once it get it all finished it will be ioBox -> Sabre 32 DAC -> preamp/amp/etc... The ioBox is supposed to do 24/192. Running mpd on the ioBox controlled via Minion in Firefox. For testing purposes I have the ioBox feeding an older musical fidelity 24/96 dac, works better than expected. Downside is this is very much a computer geek type setup. :(

JDUBS

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jul 2009, 04:18 am »
Downside, Mike?  Come on!   :lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:30 pm »
Downside, Mike?  Come on!   :lol:

I am a computer geek so not a big deal but this makes setting up a Squeezebox/Transporter look like using a toaster. :)

ashok

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:58 pm »
Did you go with the media streamer or NAS server?

It is the ioBox 100HD, the media player. I have added a 1TB hard drive to it and MPD (Music Player Daemon) is installed. Control it over the network using Minion for Firefox (same as Mike and Jim (JDUBS)).

It does take a fair bit of work to get it going, but not too bad.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2009, 01:03 pm »
Can anyone who actually has an iobox confirm that it does native 24/192?  Are there any limitations for that hirez sample rate (i.e wireless is difficult due to bandwidths, etc.)?

ashok

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2009, 04:47 pm »
Can anyone who actually has an iobox confirm that it does native 24/192?  Are there any limitations for that hirez sample rate (i.e wireless is difficult due to bandwidths, etc.)?

I have played 24/96 and 24/192 files from my ioBox and my external DAC has no problem locking on to the digital signal. That said, I have not actually measured what is being output from the ioBox's S/PDIF port. So, no first-hand knowledge of whether any sample rate or bit depth adjustment is going on.

But based on my reading at least, it does no such thing and lets the digital information pass through unchanged.

My ioBox is connected to the router via Cat 5 cable. I do not use wireless. Also, I have an internal HD in the ioBox, so there is no question of streaming. I think both Mike and Jim do stream, but wired, not wireless.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2009, 04:55 pm »
Current Players/DACs (format)

Modwright Transporter (up to 24/96)
Squeezebox 3 (up to 24/48)
Oppo 980 (SACD/DVD-Audio)
Oppo 983 (SACD/DVD-Audio)
Samsung BDP-1400 Blu-Ray (decodes TrueHD and DTS HD MA)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 (bitstream HD codecs only, no decoding)
Denon 3808 processor/receiver (decodes TrueHD and DTS HD MA)

and a brand new Oppo BDP-83 (SACD/DVD-Audio/Blue-Ray/all lossless codecs)

George

spectralman

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2009, 03:41 pm »
Currently using:
Sony 777es with VSE Level 6+ mod and Terra Firma Lite clock
Oppo BDP-83 (HDMI out only) in HT use; trying to decide which mod to go with.

In the past:
Denon 3910 with Upgrade Co. Signature mod
Panasonic BD35.

JackD201

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jul 2009, 04:49 pm »
Accuphase DP-78 CD/SACD player with Digital Input

Emmlabs CDSD + DCC2  via ATT Glass including master clock link but also accepts S/PDIF and AES EBU

Hi-Rez capable DAC currently not in use Mark Levinson No. 360S