Dual driver H-Frame question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Dual driver H-Frame question
« on: 21 Jan 2016, 11:29 pm »
With two drivers, does it matter which one faces forward, top or bottom?

Mike

jparkhur

Re: Dual driver H-Frame question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:03 am »
No. Pref only. 

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:04 am »
As long as they are wired so they move same direction you are good

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:34 am »
Thanks Jon

I'm building a pair of dual 12" H-Frames to go with the Wedgies and 3 x 8" Wedge bass units I built this past summer. My plan is to put the top driver facing to the rear. That way if he decides he wants to have triples later on, all that would need to be done would be to bolt a single box with the driver facing forward on top of the duals and wire the new driver in phase with the bottom driver.

If I wire the duals up like the Super V, with the top driver facing forward, adding a third driver down the road would require a whol lot more work.

Mike

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:56 am »
With two drivers, does it matter which one faces forward, top or bottom?

I have duals -- the left sub has the top driver facing forward, and the right sub has the top driver facing rearward. This was done accidentally, but I like it. I certainly hope it doesn't matter.  :o

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2016, 04:33 am »
Thanks Jon

I'm building a pair of dual 12" H-Frames to go with the Wedgies and 3 x 8" Wedge bass units I built this past summer. My plan is to put the top driver facing to the rear. That way if he decides he wants to have triples later on, all that would need to be done would be to bolt a single box with the driver facing forward on top of the duals and wire the new driver in phase with the bottom driver.

If I wire the duals up like the Super V, with the top driver facing forward, adding a third driver down the road would require a whol lot more work.

Mike

As long as you wire the rearward facing driver out of phase you are good (servo in series, driver in parallel)
V1's or Super V's  diagram will  work fine but if IIRC they have the top driver facing forward so you'd have to flip the wiring

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2016, 04:55 am »
As long as you wire the rearward facing driver out of phase you are good (servo in series, driver in parallel)
V1's or Super V's  diagram will  work fine but if IIRC they have the top driver facing forward so you'd have to flip the wiring

jay

Yep. Got that part covered. Just wasn't sure if for some reason the top driver needed to be the one facing forward.

I'm basically lazy so I wanted to wire these up in such a way that it would make adding a third driver later on as easy as possible. However, if it would have made a big difference in sound quality I wouldn't have done it. Since it doesn't mater I'm free to make the upgrade path easy.

Mike