Finally, Something I'm Excited About - the iDSD Pro

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Hmmm, I probably shouldn't post this now, because it's not available yet.  But I've gotten on the list to do a review of something I'm very excited about, the iFi iDSD Pro.  As anyone here on AC knows, I'm pretty darned jaded about most things audio related at this point.  So it takes a lot to even catch my interest, let alone generate any excitement.  Well, it's happened, courtesy of the iDSD Pro. 

Here's some things that to me look very cool.

1. I own the iDSD Micro and I love the house sound of iFi.  I figure the iDSD Pro is going to be a serious step up.
2. Fully balanced design - which means it should be QUIET, something very important in my system with hyper efficient speakers.
3. TUBED OUTPUT!!!!  Yeah, you can never have enough tubes in your system, IMO.
4. Native DSD up to 1024.  Pretty much crushes the DSD512 I am able to currently stream.
5. Native PCM up to 768.  Wait, you may ask, how does it do Native DSD AND Native PCM?  Because they built 2 DACs into a single box.  Holy crap that's genius.
6. Supercapacitors!  I heard what super caps can do in Vinnie's LIO (which is amazing).  I love the LIO but I don't need a preamp, so I'm very curious to hear a super cap powered DAC. 
7. Digital Source selection and streaming, all in one box.  For me this is huge - I have 3 DACs I use in my system right now.  One for my music server, one for my 4k Bluray player, and one for wireless streaming & Roku.  Gah.  This would let me get rid of ALL those boxes and clean up a massive amount of clutter in my equipment rack 

Of course, the proof is in the listening.  And I'm always a bit skeptical and a bit jaded.  But I have a good feeling that this will seriously challenge my other mid-priced favorite DAC, the Auralic Vega.  Even though the iFi is a thousand bucks cheaper.

Docere

Re: Finally, Something I'm Excited About - the iDSD Pro
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2018, 08:19 am »
I saw the unit promoted over on the iFi forum - looks very impressive. I'd want to know whether the unit is verified as UAC2 compatible, irrespective of platform, including Linux. Some manufacturers extend the capability of their USB receipt, invalidating true UAC2 compatibility; they will then endeavour to ensure compatibility for only a few platforms, excluding one/some you may need. I'd want to know how universally USB compatible the DAC is before purchase.

Good luck.

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:15 pm »
I saw the unit promoted over on the iFi forum - looks very impressive. I'd want to know whether the unit is verified as UAC2 compatible, irrespective of platform, including Linux. Some manufacturers extend the capability of their USB receipt, invalidating true UAC2 compatibility; they will then endeavour to ensure compatibility for only a few platforms, excluding one/some you may need. I'd want to know how universally USB compatible the DAC is before purchase.

Good luck.

Good luck?  Uhm OK.  You're running a fairly obscure platform (linux) and you're pissy that some manufactuers (not even iFi necessarily) don't fully support it, and you come into this thread to bitch about it?  Jesus Christ if it's that much of a PITA for you, just switch over to Windows or a Mac like the vast majority of people.  It's like what, $100 or $200?  That's chump change.  And stripped down Windows Server sounds outstanding. 

So, with your obscure problem on your Linux platform - good luck.

smargo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:54 pm »
Hmmm, I probably shouldn't post this now, because it's not available yet.  But I've gotten on the list to do a review of something I'm very excited about, the iFi iDSD Pro.  As anyone here on AC knows, I'm pretty darned jaded about most things audio related at this point.  So it takes a lot to even catch my interest, let alone generate any excitement.  Well, it's happened, courtesy of the iDSD Pro. 

Here's some things that to me look very cool.

1. I own the iDSD Micro and I love the house sound of iFi.  I figure the iDSD Pro is going to be a serious step up.
2. Fully balanced design - which means it should be QUIET, something very important in my system with hyper efficient speakers.
3. TUBED OUTPUT!!!!  Yeah, you can never have enough tubes in your system, IMO.
4. Native DSD up to 1024.  Pretty much crushes the DSD512 I am able to currently stream.
5. Native PCM up to 768.  Wait, you may ask, how does it do Native DSD AND Native PCM?  Because they built 2 DACs into a single box.  Holy crap that's genius.
6. Supercapacitors!  I heard what super caps can do in Vinnie's LIO (which is amazing).  I love the LIO but I don't need a preamp, so I'm very curious to hear a super cap powered DAC. 
7. Digital Source selection and streaming, all in one box.  For me this is huge - I have 3 DACs I use in my system right now.  One for my music server, one for my 4k Bluray player, and one for wireless streaming & Roku.  Gah.  This would let me get rid of ALL those boxes and clean up a massive amount of clutter in my equipment rack 

Of course, the proof is in the listening.  And I'm always a bit skeptical and a bit jaded.  But I have a good feeling that this will seriously challenge my other mid-priced favorite DAC, the Auralic Vega.  Even though the iFi is a thousand bucks cheaper.

Glad your excited - But live and listen with the "pro" for at least 2 -3 weeks - before you start gushing about its virtues or letdowns - you of all people should know better - but again im glad your excited

restrav

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:04 pm »
Glad your excited - But live and listen with the "pro" for at least 2 -3 weeks - before you start gushing about its virtues or letdowns - you of all people should know better - but again im glad your excited

how dare you? this is a jaded audiophile here.  he is jaded but he got excited about this one. this is a rare, once in a month phenomenon. he is better than you and he doesnt give a crap about other people's "obscure" problems. this is jaded man. he goes to shows and takes pictures of shiny boxes. bow before him.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:11 pm »
Maybe one day IFI will actually publish measurements of their gear rather than give BS responses. 

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:51 pm »

Very true - I should know better.  But I'm still stoked.  It would solve so many problems for me.

Maybe one day IFI will actually publish measurements of their gear rather than give BS responses. 

Agreed.  Maybe it'll be in the manual? 

how dare you? this is a jaded audiophile here.  he is jaded but he got excited about this one. this is a rare, once in a month phenomenon. he is better than you and he doesnt give a crap about other people's "obscure" problems. this is jaded man. he goes to shows and takes pictures of shiny boxes. bow before him.

I also make a fair bit of gear, asswipe.  In fact it was the DIY aspect that made me realize how much of this hobby is overpriced BS.  I'm not shopping for a preamp because I've got a custom DIY one-off that I don't think can be equaled, for any price.  Same with my amp - it's a customized First Watt BA3, that I just don't see anything being able to touch it, regardless of price.  Combine that with going to RMAF every year and hearing a lot of the best equipment on the planet, every year, for 12 years and yeah I'm pretty damn jaded. 

Having said that, I KNOW that the iDSD Micro I use is the bottleneck in my system.  I love the sound of it (especially it's tonal balance), but its far, far from the level that the rest of my system is at.  And THAT's the main reason I'm excited about the iDSD Pro - I'm hoping to keep the same tonal balance I love about the iDSD Micro, and elevate all the other areas of performance.  And I could be wrong :P  The Pro might not actually be all that.  If that's the case, then I am definitely buying a Vega, because I HAVE heard that extensively and I know it's awesome.  I've just been too much of a cheap bastard to spend that much $$ on a DAC. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2018, 11:36 pm »
I have used the IFI Pro Ican with the Maraschino Chery Mono amps for a year now and still very happy. I doubt if I will ever change. The Pro IDSD might be one to think about.

tvyankee

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2018, 01:20 am »
Tough language , people have been put in the bin for less.

Good Day.

TJHUB

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2018, 01:58 am »
Tough language , people have been put in the bin for less.

Good Day.

He called it as he saw it, and I think he was right. 

Good day to you as well.

toddbagwell

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2018, 12:40 pm »
Please refrain from using personal attacks.

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2018, 03:43 pm »
“My clearly biased review thread”
I basically consider this an ad.

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2018, 04:09 pm »
“My clearly biased review thread”
I basically consider this an ad.

Sure, I am biased - I know I like iFi house sound.  But if you look at my past reviews you can see that it doesn't always get a good review from me.  For example - the iDSD Black, I was very excited about because it was an 'upgrade' to the iDSD Silver that I already have.  IME it was better in a lot of ways, but not the most important way (tonality), so I reported what I heard and sent the unit on to the next person.  Same with the iGalvanic - it worked well, but the daisychained Regens in my system sounded better.  So I reported what I heard and the unit went on to the next person. 

On the other hand, there's some things from iFi that I've liked very much - the iDSD Micro silver is the best sub $1k DAC I've heard (for my specific preferences).  I love the iTube 2 for taming crappy sources like my cheap Sony 4K Blu Ray player.  I love the little IEMatch because I get GREAT sound from my iPhone and Mac laptop audio outs and my Alclair Curves (and my Etymotic ER 3XRs).

So heck yeah I'm biased.  I really want the iDSD Pro to be way way better than what I currently have.  That's why I put in an order for the darn thing!  But I also know that it very well might not sound better, in my system and based on my preferences.  If so, I'll report that. 

smargo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:05 pm »
I have used the IFI Pro Ican with the Maraschino Chery Mono amps for a year now and still very happy. I doubt if I will ever change. The Pro IDSD might be one to think about.

Really! - The "i doubt if i will ever change" are the 6 words - that are the most untrue ever. Im not saying thats a bad thing or a good thing

Docere

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:32 am »
Good luck?  Uhm OK.  You're running a fairly obscure platform (linux) and you're pissy that some manufactuers (not even iFi necessarily) don't fully support it, and you come into this thread to bitch about it?  Jesus Christ if it's that much of a PITA for you, just switch over to Windows or a Mac like the vast majority of people.  It's like what, $100 or $200?  That's chump change.  And stripped down Windows Server sounds outstanding. 

So, with your obscure problem on your Linux platform - good luck.

?!

No need to fret Tyson. So, your excitement wasn't universally endorsed, your beliefs and expectations not validated. Relax, it's just audio. Strong reaction - sincerely, are you okay?

Not sure how you get "pissy" and "PITA" from my post. Please, just take my post at face value. Don't attempt to read between the lines - I've put nothing there. The "good luck" was genuine - I sincerely hope it works for you.

...he is better than you and he doesnt give a crap about other people's "obscure" problems. this is jaded man. he goes to shows and takes pictures of shiny boxes. bow before him.

Yeah, I don't know how a Linux-based server is "obscure"... it wasn't even about my problem - I was just suggesting that if UAC2 compatibility is needed, check it.

Cheers,
Ray

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2018, 05:22 am »
?!

No need to fret Tyson. So, your excitement wasn't universally endorsed, your beliefs and expectations not validated. Relax, it's just audio. Strong reaction - sincerely, are you okay?

Not sure how you get "pissy" and "PITA" from my post. Please, just take my post at face value. Don't attempt to read between the lines - I've put nothing there. The "good luck" was genuine - I sincerely hope it works for you.

Yeah, I don't know how a Linux-based server is "obscure"... it wasn't even about my problem - I was just suggesting that if UAC2 compatibility is needed, check it.

Cheers,
Ray

Sorry about that - I mistook your intentions. 

Docere

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:24 am »
Sorry about that - I mistook your intentions. 

Thanks -much appreciated. Hell, you should see some of my reactions and postings over the years, even recently. :oops: We've all got the capacity for it.

Keep well.

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2018, 08:15 pm »

Really! - The "i doubt if i will ever change" are the 6 words - that are the most untrue ever. Im not saying thats a bad thing or a good thing

I might re-consider if the preamp has this many features and sounds as good.

RoadTripper

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2018, 07:04 am »
Hey Tyson,

Did you ever get the iDSD Pro unit into your system? Surprised to see this thread fizzle out.