HDMI input to play DSD in DOP format

shektau6

HDMI input to play DSD in DOP format
« on: 2 Aug 2018, 11:15 am »
Hi, I have an Oppo univerrsal player and want to pair it with IDA-8 but I found out I can't send DSD direct to IDA-8 other than ripping all my disc and use my Mac to play dsf files over USB. I could use analog input but I feel this is defeating the purpose. Would Nuprime plan to include HDMI input for their 2 channel DAC amp in the future?

Phil A

Re: HDMI input to play DSD in DOP format
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2018, 12:56 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Which Oppo player?

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2018, 01:51 pm »
Yup. I wish more 2 channel integrated amps had HDMI inputs too. That'd be really nice for those of us who want a nice, simple, 2 channel AV setup. From my understanding, the biggest hurdle is the cost of the HDMI licencing. So, if you look around the net, this explains why only larger companies that offer a wide range of products (including Blu Ray players) may offer HDMI on an integrated amp. They're already paying the licencing fee.

...and that's why many are using Oppo players as their AV "hub" in 2 channel setups. They're great quality players and their HDMI inputs are their most handy feature for AV integration. Their internal DACs are very good.
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2018, 02:56 pm by RDavidson »

shektau6

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2018, 03:34 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Which Oppo player?

Thx! It's BDP-105D.  I am using it as my main SACD / Blu-ray player as well as using it's DAC for my CAS setup. and sending analog output to my NAIM int-amp.  I want to move all my audio source including SACD to power by the IDA-8 with direct digital input (rather than analog->digital->analog) and use my OPPO for movies (disc + network) only and eventually ditching the OPPO to find something smaller to play movies later.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2018, 04:12 pm »
Your only option, is the discontinued HD-AVA, which has HDMI input and is best used for 2 channel stereo only.

Not sure, but there may be stock left through NuPRIME directly.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2018, 07:10 pm »
One can of course convert the DSD to (88.2) PCM in the Oppo (for at least the short term).

envydd

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2018, 08:47 pm »
Your only option, is the discontinued HD-AVA, which has HDMI input and is best used for 2 channel stereo only.

Not sure, but there may be stock left through NuPRIME directly.

1. The AVA is a great product - I have it
2. I have to try and see if I can get DSD out of the HDMI into the AVA .... maybe PCM ... I use the analog outs from my Oppo

envydd

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2018, 08:47 pm »
BTW I bought the AVA from John!

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2018, 09:10 pm »
BTW I bought the AVA from John!

Sorry, I didn't recognize your screen name.   :oops: