Bob's Crow Dinner#1 -"byteme" Come Back!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« on: 8 Jan 2004, 03:57 am »
...we miss you!

I want to extend a hand of friendship and apologize for my last post to you.  I'm sorry, I got a little frustrated and went out on a limb a bit too far.  You're right, I was projecting and I did not have anywhere near enough information about you to take such liberties.  Jerry says you're a "classy" guy and I trust his judgement. If you're OK by him then I figure you're OK - period.

If you'll accept my apology I'd like to invite you back to our circle.  Even though we may see things a little differently, our circle needs folks like you.  The last thing I want to do is surround myself with people that always agree with me.  We all grow by being challanged.  The only thing is, if you read my "Forum Guidelines" post, I think we can exchange ideas in a way that reduces the risk of people being offended on both sides of cyberspace.

With this concept in mind, I would like to share with you what I felt was a bit "aggressive" in your posted statements and what motivated me to respond in the improper way that I did.  Please don't take offense in the following, I am not belaboring those old points or trying to make an example out of you.  If anything, it will help you and others to understand my side more easily.  Please feel free to respond in a followup posting to share your side as well.  Remember, this is a "no emotion" analysis here for the purpose of learning - NOT condemning.

To start, let's take a look at your moniker.  It would seem that "byteme" was intended to illicit some sort of response on the reader's part.  No big deal, just a little aggressive play - Right?  But it's not beyond the realm of reason that someone could interpret it as a sort of "Freudian" reflection of inner irreverence and anger.  We're not playing doctor here, this would probably raise a few eyebrows on any forum.  By itself it's not all that big of a deal.  What would be more revealing is how you convey your opinions in your posts.

There are, what, over 700 speaker manufacturers out there? And you guys come out blazin' saying that you're the be all end all.

Good business decision to reel in the free trial. Black eye when it comes to Goodwill and PR in my mind.

That "be all end all" comment was a bit unfair - don't you think?  I mean, what company presents their products as being "sort of an OK deal" or "pretty good"? C'mon, we're all in the business to sell product.  AT LEAST you have the president of the company plugging his own product here rather than some over paid marketing geek.  And since we do offer an in home audition with shipping paid one way at minimum, and round trip if you got the juice, how much more can a company express the fact that their willing to literally put their money where their mouth is?  I have to be either right about the quality of our product or NUTS! So...that one ruffled my feathers a little.  I guess I would classify it as being a little "bullish."

And this statement Quote:
If a product excels in all measurable areas FIRST, then by default, its performance will be observed to be superior to the majority of unbiased reviewers as compared to other products that fall short in a number of those same areas. Notice I said the MAJORITY of reviewers – not all. That majority constitutes the folks that our products are being marketed to.

apparently applies if the listener happens to meet your criteria for being able to hear correctly and have the "right" gear. Or, if the majority of the unbiased reviewers are you.

OK, admit it - that was a direct challange and you projected on me the character of being a totally biased A--hole.  As I had said in a follow up post, I don't have to expect people to take my word for it.  We got a couple great reviews from people we've never met before AND have been awarded Pro Audio Review magazine's "Reviewer's Pick" status in this December's issue.

In my follow up posts I went to great lengths to explain that there is such a thing as "objective evaluation" and that, to a great extent, that this process can be developed such that subjective preferences are virtually engineered out of said process.  You know, like double-blind studies and such.  They are used extensively in scientific research AND financial analysis throughout the world.  You seemed to not want to understand, as if you had to defend your point - which I never challanged.  I was not trying to deny your point about the effects of subjective influence in evaluating value.  It's no more obvious than in audio that it exists! Rather, I was simply trying to explain my original point about the existance of objective analysis - the very foundation of science!

None of these points matter now though. All that matters is that you understand that SP Technology Loudspeakers has a greater mission than just selling speakers or trying to excel in "one upmanship."  Our mission is YOU.  If you can find it in yourself to forgive and come back, we would be very thankful.  I also believe everyone here would benefit from your presence and ideas.  Even if you decide to never post here again, we hope that you will be able to receive this apology. It is sincerely given.

God bless,  :)
 -Bob

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2004, 05:25 am »
Apology accepted.  Things got further than they needed to and we both had part in it.  For mine, I apologize as well.

byteme, or Byte Me started out as a tounge in cheek jab when I was doing taxes one year and needed to come up with a name for my fledgling digital consulting company for the Schedule C form.  It was and is always intended to be humorous.  I feel if you can't laugh and have fun then what's the point.  That was about 3 years ago and things have grown since then.  I've actually pursued things a bit further, and have gotten to be a distributor specializing in home theater installs, however, I haven't quit my day job  :o .

A difficult part of email, these forums and communication of this type is lack of vocal inflection and not being able to gleen the full intent of someones meaning because it's only written.  I'm sure that I read what you wrote differently than intended and visa versa.
However, based on some other posts I know I wasn't alone.

At any rate, no harm no foul.  That being said no matter what Jerry says I've still got my doubts... :wink:   That was a joke by the way.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2004, 10:25 pm »
byteme

Boy, now I really do feel like a dumb-dumb!  Thanks for coming back and I wish you the best of luck with your venture!  It's too bad I didn't have my act together with the "No Risk" deal before I shot it out there.  Maybe I wouldn't have ticked so many people off - including you.

By the way, I really do think you'd be impressed with our products in an A/V application.  The controlled dispersion and dynamic range is the ticket there.  That's how the Continuum came about.  Flip her on her side and you've got a killer center channel.  3 Continuums in front L-C-R and 2 TP2's in back and you'll never leave the house!

Anyway, see everybody - this is how repentance and reconsiliation works.  By the grace of God, his principles restore people and relationships.  It seems pretty simple, just a little "I'm sorry" can work miracles...but how hard do so many people find it to say.  Yes, often it is far more complex than that but the same "spirit" or attitude lies at the core.  We should all try it more often (IMHO) :D .

So now we have a friend in "byteme" back, and I couldn't be happier.  I hope he stops in from time to time and gives me hell. :wink: Today is a good day :!:

-Bob