Warm Stratos Mono Extreme+

arfan

Warm Stratos Mono Extreme+
« on: 1 May 2011, 01:41 am »
One of my Mono Extreme amps is warm to the touch on the right heat sink area with the amp on and no input.After a listening session the temperature of the sinks become a little warmer but never hot. I also have a stratos stereo unit and have never felt the heat sinks getting warm enough to notice. I am driving Magnepan 1.7's at moderate listening levels. I haven't talked to Klaus yet but was wondering if there might be a problem that might get worse. I do not hear any difference in the sound of the amps the best I can tell.Has any one  experienced this with their amps? Thanks for the help.
Don         

lazydays

Re: Warm Stratos Mono Extreme+
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2011, 05:10 pm »
before calling Klaus, I'd recommend you shut the amps down, and do a cable swap. If the amp still heats up, then you know it's in the amp. If the other amp heats up, then you have a bad cable.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2011, 05:11 pm »
forgot to ask you about how the speakers sound with the Odyssey amps. Please tell!
gary

arfan

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2011, 11:55 pm »
Thanks Gary for the response.
I swapped cables as soon as I noticed the amp getting warm some time ago. I also removed the cover (cord pulled) and touched the heat sink area and the output transistors and they were warmer than the exterior. I let the amp cool off to ambient temperature and noticed after I turned the amp back on and playing that it took a few days for the heat to build up to the higher temperature.At this point I'm leaning to think it's a bad amp.

In my haste to post my question I failed to mention how pleased I am with the sound of the 1.7's and Odyssey's. I also have a TAD-150 Tube Pre, W4S Dac2, A Sony scd xa5400 CDP and a pair of ACI Titan Sub's to help the 1.7's below 40 hz.I've had the speakers for about 6 months and still adjusting for the optimal position.My room is 13 ft. wd x 32 ft long, maggies on the short wall about 68 in from the front wall. They are currently 8ft apart at the centers, with the edges 20 in from the side walls toed in to intersect behind the listening position which is 8ft from the centers.

Don

Nels Ferre

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2011, 01:21 am »
The bias could be off on the warmer running one. That can be adjusted- not a "bad amp" just out of tune.

arfan

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2011, 10:23 pm »
I agree and very likely since I bought the amps used. Bad component or adjustment, either way looks like I need to get the amps to Klaus and be without them for a while.
Thanks for the input.
Don

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2011, 06:59 am »
Yes,  it is most likely a biasing issue.  How much of an issue ??  Depends on whether you hear channel output indifferences.
The monos are slightly different biased than the stereo,  so that is normal.
As for as warmth itself is concerned,  warm or warmer to the touch as to room temperature is also a by-product of voltage.  If the voltage goes up,  so goes the bias,  so goes the temperature from the transistors.

All normal,  and unless there is a channel imbalance, don't worry about it.

Then again,  a complete tune-up is free of charge....always