Anyone still using the Tempest phono pre?

robbiesurp

Anyone still using the Tempest phono pre?
« on: 16 Jun 2009, 02:03 pm »
I've got a tempest extreme and have always used an out board phono preamp (Wright Audio wpp200c - Bent MU step-up transformers - Shelter 501). Some of the tubes just started having a problem in the Wright and instead of trouble shooting I decided to try the phono pre in the Tempest.

So far I'm amazed at how good this sounds. It still seems to be breaking in. Very light bass and etched highs when I first hooked it up when but it has opened up considerably with a few hours of play. I'm going to keep using it and see if it will still get better. I would love to simplify my phono preamp set up and maybe I had the solution all along. I think I'll run the Tempest in and then see how it compares to the Wright setup when I get it back up and running.

Has anyone else compared the Tempest phono pre to any others?

Preamps with built in phono preamps seem to be a thing of the past. How good can a built in phono preamp be? It seems like a more direct route to the speakers.

klaus@odyssey

Re: Anyone still using the Tempest phono pre?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2009, 10:10 am »
For what it's worth:  the SL based Tempest board is also the pre part of the RG 9 / RG 10 integrated amps in Europe.  There,  in several magazines the phono section rates as the reference for integrated amps in direct tests to anything from Japanese jobs to MBL's, Burmesters,  and super expensive pieces.  It is excellent for both,  MM and MC.

Late,

Klaus

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:10 pm »
For what it's worth:  the SL based Tempest board is also the pre part of the RG 9 / RG 10 integrated amps in Europe.  There,  in several magazines the phono section rates as the reference for integrated amps in direct tests to anything from Japanese jobs to MBL's, Burmesters,  and super expensive pieces.  It is excellent for both,  MM and MC.

Late,

Klaus

That's right,  I have read those tests and RG9 and RG10 are always at the same level, higher or a little bit under of high end japanese and german brands and normally SL products seems also very competitive regarding their price against other brands.

robbiesurp

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply. It seems that this phono section is a bit of a hidden gem. I've used it for a few days an it's still sounding better. Frankly I'm shocked at how good it's sounding. I can't believe I'm not missing my tubes.

If anyone is using the Tempest with an outboard phono input you should definitely run in the the phono section on the Tempest. You may be surprised.

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2009, 02:43 pm »
I've had my Tempest since '03 and it has proved excellent with MC carts.  That said my very low output Denon DL-304 (0.18mV) is one I couldn't help experimenting with.  The picture shows a DIY step up box (hidden behind a Denon DL-103D cartridge stand) using a pair of CineMag CMQEE-3440A transformers.  Is it better than the built in stage?  No, just different :)

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2009, 05:21 pm »

Late,

Klaus

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2009, 05:23 pm »

Late,

Klaus

It would be a nice option on the Candela to have a seperate phono circut using that card, but also not going thru the bypass circut. In otherwords a seperate switched on circut
gary

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2009, 07:28 pm »
That said my very low output Denon DL-304 (0.18mV) is one I couldn't help experimenting with.

Bob,

Stay tuned...

By the way, you brought some very nice memories with your pictures! I used to have the very same Tandberg RR that you have (great unit) and was replaced by a Teac X1000R in the very early 80's (still playing!!). I also currently have (fully reconditioned) the same AR ES1 in my office (pic below) highly modified that among other things includes the original Merrill platter and sub-chassis...great little turntable.  :thumb:

It would be a nice option on the Candela to have a separate phono circuit using that card, but also not going Thur the bypass circuit. In otherwords a separate switched on circuit

Gary,

Not a bad idea...who knows what can happen!!  :D

Alex

lazydays

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2009, 02:05 am »
That said my very low output Denon DL-304 (0.18mV) is one I couldn't help experimenting with.

Bob,

Stay tuned...

By the way, you brought some very nice memories with your pictures! I used to have the very same Tandberg RR that you have (great unit) and was replaced by a Teac X1000R in the very early 80's (still playing!!). I also currently have (fully reconditioned) the same AR ES1 in my office (pic below) highly modified that among other things includes the original Merrill platter and sub-chassis...great little turntable.  :thumb:

It would be a nice option on the Candela to have a separate phono circuit using that card, but also not going Thur the bypass circuit. In otherwords a separate switched on circuit

Gary,

Not a bad idea...who knows what can happen!!  :D

Alex

Just kinda looks like a simple option to a good preamp.
gary