Opinions: A/V Receivers

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
« on: 10 May 2003, 06:37 pm »
I’m looking for a new/used A/V receiver for my mother.  What I would like to see is a simple interface, easy to use remote, Pro-Logic 2, 5.1 speaker layout.  If used, what types of DYI updates could be done on the unit.  The price range I’m looking at is around $300-400.  Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance…

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2003, 07:03 pm »
If ease of use & DPL2 are concerns, I'd look at a Pioneer Elite. You can get a VSX-41TX new for just over $400. You might be able to find a used VSX-43TX for $400.

Denon's got a few nice DPL2 models, but I've not found them as easy to use as the Pioneers.

That's my little opinion on the subject. I don't care much for the usability of most receivers. Can't stand to use Sony stuff. Yamaha has too many damn DSP modes and other odd non-standard features. Denon's a lot better than the Sonys or Yamahas. But I still find the Pioneers to be the most user-friendly.

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2003, 07:58 pm »
I am quite happy with my Marantz SR7000, now the SR7003, I think. Good build quality, sound quality and usability from the unit. Remote is a bit complex but that is quite normal for these things.

I would not worry too much about DPL2. I don't have it and don't miss it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2003, 08:12 pm »
I wouldn't waste a nickel on a reciever that didn't have PLII.  IMO it's almost a bigger boon to HT than Dolby Digital.  I have a lot of DVDs with older Pro Logic soundtracks that frankly sucked enough that I rarely watched them, but w/PLII they're like new movies.  One example is "Sniper", with Tom Berenger.  Via the original Prologic, this is a very flat and uninvolving soundtrack, but PLII opens it up to an amazing degree.  I've watched that flick three times since I got PLII but had only watched it once in the previous 3 years or so.

I really love Denon recievers for HT, and have used a bunch of em.  The new '03 series is a great deal, loaded with features and (to me) is the easiest to use.  I guess the easiest to use is the one you're most familiar with! 8)

Even the second from the bottom model, the 1603, has two component video inputs and S-Vid all around, which is a must if you have a very complex system.  On a bigger TV (say 32" or bigger) component vid is noticeably better than S-vid, so switching of component inputs is nice.  The Denons I've used are completely transparent in the vid dept with NTSC signals (can't confirm HD, sorry).  If you are lucky enough to have the DVD player w/DVI output, you can then hook up games to both component inputs.

Err, or maybe your mom isn't big on videogames... :oops:   Forgot who you said it's for!  Well, I still like the Denons.  Five channel stereo is a big draw of the Denons for casual listening and those who aren't high end purists.  Likewise, PLII sounds good enough for music that I often listen to CDs that way.

Truth be told there are many brands that will do a good job at that price range, especially if you're talking a non-enthusiast that just wants something nice that's easy to use.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2003, 12:17 am »
I will pop in a vote for Harman Kardon...try the new 525.  I have the 520, the remote controls everything but my x-box

Ernest

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2003, 05:01 am »
I also love H/K receivers.  I tried Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Yamaha, and GREATLY prefer the H/K's.

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2003, 04:18 am »
Outlaw Audio has some pretty good following, I wouldn't overlook them.

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2003, 04:24 am »
If you're talking simple, clean interface you can't beat NAD in my opinion.

dogberry

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2003, 04:41 am »
I think Denon is a great brand.  I had a 3801 receiver for years and it was great.  The new 1603 has everything you want and retails for $399--you should be able to get it for less.

The Outlaw receiver has less power, and doesn't offer DPLII.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

Al Garay

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2003, 07:38 am »
Lots of good choices between Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, HK...
Compare their 2-channel mode. Then, you might prefer the NAD.

Al

Al Garay

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2003, 07:38 am »
Lots of good choices between Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, HK...
Compare their 2-channel mode. Then, you might prefer the NAD.

Al

F-100

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2003, 01:11 am »
All the recommended receivers above are nice but if you're looking into budget AV receiver, you might want to look into the Onkyo TXSR500. For $149 (factory refurbished) at J&R, it doesn't have all the bell & whistle but your pocket will be happy.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1982&Product_Id=3657144