Sometimes system sounds great, sometimes not so much

Yomaha

I'm checking here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. There are times when my system sounds really good. Great detail, space, depth, all the buzz words. Often I'll look at my wife and I'll say 'wow it's really sounding good tonight.'

Other times things sound muddy with the detail and soundstage being diminished. This back and forth has happened so many times...it makes me wonder am I just hearing things?  But my wife genuinely agrees that some nights the system sounds better than other nights.

I'm guessing this is attributable to fluctuations in power here at the house?  We live in a very well built 1940's house in a smallish town in Louisiana. The elements here are tough...esp the summer when folks have to keep AC going  24/7.

I wouldn't call this town's infrastructure top notch by any means, so I'm wondering if the sonic fluctuations are caused by power fluctuations and would something like a regenerator help alleviate that?

toocool4

Re: Sometimes system sounds great, sometimes not so much
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2019, 01:05 pm »
Yes a regenerator may help. Can you narrow down to when the system sounds good and bad? Is it any particular time of the day weekend ect as that may help you know what is going on at the time?
Do you leave your Hi-Fi on all the time or do you switch it on when you are going to use it? Hi-Fi do take time to settle down and sound at it’s best.

I use a regenerator and also leave my Hi-Fi on all the time, so everything is stable and always ready to go.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2019, 02:55 pm »
I agree. As I have done more and more to perfect the AC power.. Tht is like the last few percent to 'perfection' of the sound.
SO I say yes a power regenerator would be the best choice. And the best use is to not really ever go over 50% of the regenerator capacity, if you want the best sound. so plan accordingly to get one bigger ... like double the capacity of what power you actually will be using

eichlerera1

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2019, 03:04 pm »
Is there a preferred producer of power regenerators?

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2019, 03:04 pm »
I could understand the power explanation for changes in sound if it was happening during the day...especially in the summer....when the grid was being taxed the most....but what would explain the evenings when industrial power usage is down and A/C usage is dropping?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2019, 03:20 pm »
Well in the USA, PS Audio is the go to for audiophiles. There may be industrial versions also available, and in other countries.. But here, IMO... PS Audio has the market all to itself now.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2019, 04:01 pm »
   Hi there. First off you need a voltage meter. Take measurements at outlet everyday at listening times and also at other times. This will determine if you are not getting proper voltage all the time. If not a regenerator MAY be in order. If voltage is normal 118V to 124V your fine. Then there are options to consider before spending in one area.
   Is the outlet you are using a dedicated one ? If not what else is on that circuit ? lights ? AC ? other appliances ? If used in conjunction with other items plugged in same circuit power may be overloading or stressed.
  Can you install dedicated lines in this house ? If so you will need three. One for amps, one for analog and one for digital. This is the best place to start spending money. After the lines are installed  power conditioning each line will further improve the power.
  If you cannot install dedicated lines and power is not proper then a regenerator should be considered. However you will still need a min of 118V constant.  Yes PS Audio is a good recco for regeneration but keep in mind they do have a sonic signature. Listen before buying.

charles

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2019, 04:53 pm »
If you don't have power level fluctuations it could be there is more RF on the lines during bad sound times. But it does sound like AC sagging so I suspect you will see voltage level fluctuations. I have a 1950's house. Just going through the AC system and replacing the AC outlets and making sure all the connections were tight helped my situation.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2019, 08:30 pm »
It doesn't matter how old or how new your house it, power fluctuations and noise and hash will be an ongoing battle.  I finally took a sledgehammer approach and got a PS Audio P5 because I could dial in a very precise output voltage that is rock steady.  I've noticed it reduced hum and also drastically helped improve tube life in my gear. 

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2019, 09:27 pm »
Well in the USA, PS Audio is the go to for audiophiles. There may be industrial versions also available, and in other countries.. But here, IMO... PS Audio has the market all to itself now.

Indeed..  I switched this spring to a PS Audio P20 regenerator from a 20-Amp BPT Ultra-3.5 balanced-power p-con.. The improvements were audible when I installed the BPT, and after installing the P20...
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163641.0
...the improvements were again audible.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2019, 03:16 am »
I'm checking here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. There are times when my system sounds really good. Great detail, space, depth, all the buzz words. Often I'll look at my wife and I'll say 'wow it's really sounding good tonight.'

Other times things sound muddy with the detail and soundstage being diminished. This back and forth has happened so many times...it makes me wonder am I just hearing things?  But my wife genuinely agrees that some nights the system sounds better than other nights.

I'm guessing this is attributable to fluctuations in power here at the house?  We live in a very well built 1940's house in a smallish town in Louisiana. The elements here are tough...esp the summer when folks have to keep AC going  24/7.

I wouldn't call this town's infrastructure top notch by any means, so I'm wondering if the sonic fluctuations are caused by power fluctuations and would something like a regenerator help alleviate that?

This issue was discussed by Steve Guttenberg.  Some of it has to do with the human element.  On  some days our senses are more in tune and the music just sounds better.  I have days like that all the time.  I recently went though a period where I could not listen to my system for a few weeks.  It just sounded blah!  Looking back, I was under a bit of stress at the time.  Now all is well but I still have days where it does not sound good.  I have discussed this with a couple of other people and they experience this as well

Although, I have no doubt that fluctuations in power can affect the sound.

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2019, 03:24 am »
This issue was discussed by Steve Guttenberg.  Some of it has to do with the human element.  On  some days our senses are more in tune and the music just sounds better.  I have days like that all the time.  I recently went though a period where I could not listen to my system for a few weeks.  It just sounded blah!  Looking back, I was under a bit of stress at the time.  Now all is well but I still have days where it does not sound good.  I have discussed this with a couple of other people and they experience this as well

Very true!  Back when I drank single malt scotch I would notice the same thing.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2019, 02:20 pm »
  Tyson. No softening of sound or loss of dynamics with PS audio device ?

charles

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2019, 05:20 pm »
  Tyson. No softening of sound or loss of dynamics with PS audio device ?

charles

Nope, in fact the opposite.  Because the noise floor was lowered, dynamics actually increased. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:02 am »
  Thanks. I asked since with older models they were a bit on the warm side of neutral. Have not heard the new ones.

charles

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:00 pm »
Very true!  Back when I drank single malt scotch I would notice the same thing.

Works just as well or better than all those fancy regeneraters and such, best tweek on the market.  Can be substituted with good IPAs, Vodka, or wine.

decal

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2019, 02:15 pm »

I would be willing to bet this to be true with 9 out of 10 people. Lots of interactions with sound perception.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2019, 07:40 pm »
  Mood is key for good listening no argument there. However steady voltage and clean power is key to best performance. Started with one dedicated line which improved sound. Added a power conditioner and better yet.  Then went to four 20A dedicated lines off a sub panel. Added power conditioner for each line. That enabled my to have one dedicated line for Digital only, one for mono block amp and one for the other mono block. The last one for preamp, phonostage and TT.
 I thought that using four dedicated lines as described would eliminate the need for power conditioning. WRONG. Using four. No going Bach just listening to Bach more often. :lol:

charles

Yomaha

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2019, 09:34 pm »
  Mood is key for good listening no argument there. However steady voltage and clean power is key to best performance. Started with one dedicated line which improved sound. Added a power conditioner and better yet.  Then went to four 20A dedicated lines off a sub panel. Added power conditioner for each line. That enabled my to have one dedicated line for Digital only, one for mono block amp and one for the other mono block. The last one for preamp, phonostage and TT.
 I thought that using four dedicated lines as described would eliminate the need for power conditioning. WRONG. Using four. No going Bach just listening to Bach more often. :lol:

charles

rollo - I'm sure it varies due to geography, the elctrician you choose, home layout etc., but in general, what does a single dedicated line cost?  I had read in the neighborhood of $500-600, but I really don't have any idea.