Evoke Eddie Speakers - Listening Impressions

Rocket

Evoke Eddie Speakers - Listening Impressions
« on: 6 Mar 2022, 01:11 pm »
Hi Guys,

As usual, I've gotten myself into trouble as I've been scowering stereonet looking for a bargain again. I recently came across of a pair of Evoke Eddie Speakers for sale and the seller kept dropping their price until they were $1000usd. They were bought from the Australian dealer in October 2021 and only had a minor defect with the veneer on one of the speakers. Not a deal breaker! Including shipping they have cost me $1200usd which imo is an excellent price to pay for them.

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/532942-fs-evoke-eddie-standmount-loudspeakers-further-price-drop-150000-not-including-shipping-at-this-price/

I haven't heard this speaker before except I had some good knowledge about their design and consulted with a person on Audiocircle who had heard them previously. Sometimes you just have to take a punt in life...

I've had a couple of hours to have a listen to them and to also compare them with my Salk Sound HT3's.  Purely, from a cabinet finish perspective my Salk Sound HT3's are far superior finished and construction and also the Salks pass the knuckle test as they are quite dense.

Nonetheless, the Evoke Eddie speakers are nicely built and constructed.  During shipping one of the bass ports came loose so I took the opportunity to have a peak inside the speaker which revealed good quality components in the crossover (solen) and internal bracing of the cabinet.

My listening area is pretty bad as the Salk Sound Speakers are too close to the side and rear walls.  As a result the speakers have excessive bass and lack back to front depth imo.  I really love the HT3's its just my crappy room :(.

One of the reasons I decided to purchase the Evoke Eddie speakers are they are standmount and I thought it would help with the spacial clues, and provide a bit more front to depth performance.  I hope I am making sense to you all.

Anyway, whilst the cabinetry of the speaker is not in the same league as the Salk Sound speakers (I've also had a pair of song 3's as well) I can happily tell you that they really are an excellent sounding speaker. Bass performance is well catered for by providing deep bass with excellent definition (no one not bass here), the all important midrange is well catered for being as it is very transparent and the top end seamlessly integrates with the midrange.  I haven't heard a planar midrange before and I was also quite impressed in how smooth the speaker sounded without giving up tansparency (I also previously had a pair of Nuforce s9 speakers which were smooth but lacked ultimate transparency) I can also happily report that spatial clues and the soundstage width and depth is good as well. The speakers are a better match in this small area in my lounge room.

I also have a pair of solid tech speaker stands which I am having reduced by 10cm so the Evoke Eddie speakers which will mean the tweeter will be at approximately ear height.

All in all I"m pretty happy with my buy!

Cheers Rod

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2022, 02:31 pm by Rocket »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Evoke Eddie Speakers - Listening Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2022, 03:00 pm »
Can you provide details on the Eddie's (driver description, F3, cabinet dimensions/design)?  From your images they remind me of VMPS 626, a monitor I liked. 

Suggest you de-clutter the front of your room.  I've found reducing the bulk between loudspeakers opens up the soundstage and you could move the loudspeakers a bit farther away from side walls (I also have a fairly narrow room). 

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2022, 12:08 pm »
Hi,

This is the information was the Australian dealers website. I have to say I'm very happy with these speakers. The midrange and top and fantastic and has deep bass performance as well.

https://deephzaudio.com/Evoke%20loudspeakers%20Eddie%20product%20page.html

Cheers Rod

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2022, 03:50 pm »
The archived Evoke circle, with all of the Eddie info:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=137.0

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2022, 10:01 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm seriously confused why this speaker didn't take off. It really has it all including bass extension and the midrange is fantastic. There must be a lot of competition in the US for this type of speaker.

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2022, 04:32 pm »
Rod,

I'm glad you like Eddie. You got one of those oft-mentioned 'killer deals'.  Have you tried adjusting the tweeter or midrange output yet?

Michael

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2022, 12:03 pm »
Hi Michael,

Yes I did get that killer dealer and the Australian dealer Deep HZ Audio refunded my deposit so its all good.

I haven't really felt the need to adjust the treble or midrange on the Eddie's but my SST Ambrosia has treble and bass controls. I have added just a little but of bass to the sound though.  I've never heard a speaker using a planar midrange before and I have to say I am quite impressed.  The cabinets are not the same high quality as Salk Sound Speakers being less dense and the finish is not in the same league.

This is a really nice speaker and I'm a happy camper. Now what can I buy next lol...

Btw I've recommended Salk Sound BMR speaker to the seller especially as his wife is so fussy with the appearance and aesthetics of speakers in their living room.

Cheers Rod

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2022, 02:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm seriously confused why this speaker didn't take off. It really has it all including bass extension and the midrange is fantastic. There must be a lot of competition in the US for this type of speaker.

Cheers Rod

Marketing is the key.  Do they have a distribution network (dealers) established worldwide?  How many magazine reviews are out there?  Is the cabinetry extra pretty?  Sadly not many can produce good sounding loudspeakers and and still do (or want to do) marketing.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2022, 02:02 pm »
Hi,

Marketing is money I guess and if you don't have it...

Anyway, I will enjoy these speakers and I got them at a bargain price :).

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2023, 11:35 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm a bit embarrassed as my comments about the Evoke Eddie Speakers were used on Evoke Speakers website. I hope that the owner wasn't upset about my comments about the cabinetry. I really do like the Evoke Eddie speakers and they are my main speakers at the moment. My Song 3's are in the spare room.

Whilst I have a nice system my room really is a challenge as it doesn't give the speakers room to breath.

http://evokespeakers.com/update-going-into-2023/

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2023, 01:45 pm »
Rod,

I'm delighted (and a little relieved) that you like them so much! I'm checking out the new line, and the new Eddie looks damned impressive. I wonder what pricing will be like? Any clue?

Michael

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2023, 07:21 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm a bit embarrassed as my comments about the Evoke Eddie Speakers were used on Evoke Speakers website. I hope that the owner wasn't upset about my comments about the cabinetry. I really do like the Evoke Eddie speakers and they are my main speakers at the moment. My Song 3's are in the spare room.

Whilst I have a nice system my room really is a challenge as it doesn't give the speakers room to breath.

http://evokespeakers.com/update-going-into-2023/

Cheers Rod

Haha. I think it's hilarious that you evoked an entire post on his website/blog. Congratulations 🎉

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2023, 04:18 am »
Hi,

I didn't do it on purpose lol... Most of the time my comments are ignored on Audiocircle  :popcorn:.

Cheers Rod

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2023, 07:29 pm »
Hello, everyone!

I've been involved in a lot of things over the past few years and wanted to comment. First I'm glad that covid didn't hit me physically, but it did affect my supply chain as did it so many others. The last few years I had to deal with cancer, then a year later do did my partner. Ah the drama.

Eddie was so well received at the Newport show that we sold everything we could build. I have to thank the reviewers including The Absolute Sound and many others.

As for the comments on the cabinet - here are some things I had to deal with... Every component has an MOQ - minimum order quantity. The cabinets required an MOQ of 100 pieces. These were built my a great company north of the USA... They were not inexpensive. I chose satin walnut as a safe choice for the first run. Me, I like high gloss back as a default - but the cost is prohibitive here. To add to the frustration was the cost to ship each cabinet to me for assembly - which I did by hand. It's hard to keep a high value and a profit when these things happen.

I finally found an alternative offshore and the cost was reduced dramatically with no compromises. This was at the beginning of COVID. On top of that their factory burnt down and they didn't rebuild. Going back to my original company and the changed the MOQ by 500%!  Ouch!

All this was a bit much to absorb. About the marketing comments... I have a background in marketing which is why I introduced at the Newport Show (which wasn't cheap), and sought after reviews. That leads to the chicken and the egg. Top magazines want extensive dealer networks and time selling lots of product to support you. Or, and no one admits it, a good ad buy can garner attention.

Alas, this was more than I could manage with all the things going on. I have continued to build custom products and have a new line designed - feel free to look at the website. The planars are the same. A new woofer has been prototyped and it's insanely wonderful. The planar engineer is in the final stages on the bass planar panel. It works great, extends well, is VERY efficient and bullet-proof... Now to make the cost reasonable.

I'm currently looking for a business partner to be the yin to my yang. If it happens, great. If not that was meant to be too. I'm all about the organic thing.

If anyone has any questions - feel free to ask. There are no secrets - just the love we all share for music.

I hope you all are having a great year!

Best,
Mark
Evoke Speakers
mark at evokespeakers dot com