Ulysses V2 - Room Size question

jdavis37

Ulysses V2 - Room Size question
« on: 10 Nov 2019, 04:56 am »
Very high level ballpark question regarding room size needed for the Ulysses to really breathe and air out. Most of us have what we have and then work around that. I'm curious at what point does a room just become too small for the Ulysses to work. For example, would a 15 x 17 foot-ish room work with these. I am trying to keep this at a very high level and realize there are many factors for any given room. I don't think my current speakers are going to enjoy this room size and we are about to move! Thx in advance.

cheech

Re: Ulysses V2 - Room Size question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2019, 01:20 pm »
Might just want o email or call Lou and ask him directly; in my experience with him he will  give you his honest view of which of his speakers might be best for your room

jdavis37

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2019, 01:35 pm »
Thanks Cheech!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2019, 04:04 pm »
I have Ulysses in a 27 x 14.5 room

I have the speakers on the long wall.

Your room is close to square which isn't ideal but I have heard it work nicely, how high are the ceilings?

You may need to treat the room a little (simple household items or something specifically designed for acoustic surfaces

The speakers are not too big for the room and that is an ideal offset distance.

If your room plan allows I would set up the system short wall with the 17 ft dimension being the depth between you and the speakers.

Lou's insights especially with his offset tweeter design will be very helpful.

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2019, 04:20 pm »
Keep in mind that this is a multiple driver speaker; there is definitely a minimum speaker to listener distance for the multiple drivers to be able to blend appropriately.  In my experience that is at least 8-9 feet from the speaker plane to the listener's ears, which could make 17 ft just barely possible (assuming reasonable distances from front and back walls for smoothest frequency response)

kingdeezie

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2019, 07:14 pm »
I'm not sure of the price difference, but in that size room, I would go with something like the nearfield Apollo. Before I switched to my current Soundlabs, I had a pair of Muse Studios in a room 12x18, and I sat about six feet away from the speakers. The sound was great.

The Muse Studio and the similarly arranged Apollo are made for listening closer to the front of the speaker.

advanced101

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:53 pm »
Keep in mind that this is a multiple driver speaker; there is definitely a minimum speaker to listener distance for the multiple drivers to be able to blend appropriately.  In my experience that is at least 8-9 feet from the speaker plane to the listener's ears, which could make 17 ft just barely possible (assuming reasonable distances from front and back walls for smoothest frequency response)

Ill agree, comparing 8-13’ or so, I preferred 11’ away from the speakers. Good balance of cohesion and immersion.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2019, 07:17 pm »
Very high level ballpark question regarding room size needed for the Ulysses to really breathe and air out. Most of us have what we have and then work around that. I'm curious at what point does a room just become too small for the Ulysses to work. For example, would a 15 x 17 foot-ish room work with these. I am trying to keep this at a very high level and realize there are many factors for any given room. I don't think my current speakers are going to enjoy this room size and we are about to move! Thx in advance.

I would say that is about at the lower limit of room size for that speaker. It can work well in that room, but you will definitely need room treatment. I am assuming the ceiling is 8ft or higher? If it is a dedicated room and you can treat it with the seating 9ft or more back you should be fine. I have seen customers with rooms that size and even a bit smaller who get great sound. That being said I agree with the other comments that the Apollo or Muse are an easy choice for that room.
Feel free to give me a call, we can also talk about room treatment ( which I would rather do in a phone call)
thanks,
Lou

jdavis37

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2019, 10:50 pm »
Thanks to all.. sorry I have been slow to respond but preparing for surgery on Monday and moving to a different home in about 3 or so weeks. That's it with my whiny excuses :)

I will know more once we move into the home regarding what room I will pick and placement. The ceilings by the way are 9 feet (if I had to use the family room which is larger somewhat, it has a double tray ceiling but multiple room openings and of course difficult place to really listen to music.

It may be a bit of a fight mkaing the room totally dedicated versus my music and normal computer desk room but I am hoping to make it more or less dedicated. That will allow my normal listening chair to be mobile somewhat (think wheels) which would easily get me further back from the "front wall". Current plans on that room is for the speakers to be aligned on the shorter wall aimed toward the longer length and giving some room off of the side walls.

Lou I will gratefully take you up on the offer for a phone call for assistance regarding room treatments. I love the speakers especially the dynamics and live sound even when studio music is played through them. I am not getting any of that from my current speakers (which sound nice just not live). It took 5 months for us to find a home we liked well enough to buy and it is larger than we wanted.. however, it just does not have a single room well shaped and sized for audio. Will just have to find a way to make these speakers work well!!

rbbert

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:57 pm »
Did you already purchase the Ulysses?  If not, ask Lou about the Apollo as mentioned earlier in this thread, because if you are going to put a computer desk or other stuff in the room it's hard to see how the Ulysses will work well, for the reasons already mentioned; there just won't be enough room.