NHT Super Zero version 2.1 at Amazon for $61.45 ea

RDavidson

NHT Super Zero version 2.1 at Amazon for $61.45 ea
« on: 19 Aug 2018, 05:02 am »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CKNOYWK/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534654483&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Great sounding small and versatile speakers at an unbeatable price. These are the direct descendant of the, now classic, Super Zero. They're perfect for a desktop setup, small bedroom setup, or even a modest HT system. At this price, get a pair to tinker around with, change out crossover parts or whatever. Have fun. :thumb: Note they are sold as individual speakers, not pairs. Regardless, they're basically 1/2 their normal selling price at the link above.

Note the price has dropped a little more since I first posted. Now : $60.67
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2018, 06:20 pm by RDavidson »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: NHT Super Zero version 2.1 at Amazon for $61.45 ea
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2018, 03:23 pm »
Damn you!  :D  I was forced to buy a pair because of the price although I have no need.  I loved these little brutes back in "the day".  It's guys like you that cause guys like me to always be broke.  Well, thanks, I guess.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2018, 03:33 pm »
Price dropped in the last few minutes to $60.67.

Now THAT'S C&C! Get a little sub and you're in business. I tend to view drivers with foam surrounds with skepticism though (know any original Advents that still work?) But at this price, that's really hair splitting; they'll easily last long enough to get more than your money's worth out of them.

I do notice that Amazon will come to your house and set them up though- for $185. Wonder how much they charge to screw in a light bulb....

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2018, 05:58 pm »
Damn you!  :D  I was forced to buy a pair because of the price although I have no need.  I loved these little brutes back in "the day".  It's guys like you that cause guys like me to always be broke.  Well, thanks, I guess.

Ha! I bought (another) pair too. I have no immediate use for them either, but hey they’re small and versatile. They’ll get used somewhere. They’re great little speakers. Using Amazon rewards points to really sweeten the deal, I just couldn’t resist.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2018, 06:06 pm »
Price dropped in the last few minutes to $60.67.

Now THAT'S C&C! Get a little sub and you're in business. I tend to view drivers with foam surrounds with skepticism though (know any original Advents that still work?) But at this price, that's really hair splitting; they'll easily last long enough to get more than your money's worth out of them.

I do notice that Amazon will come to your house and set them up though- for $185. Wonder how much they charge to screw in a light bulb....

I don’t think the surrounds are foam like "old school" types of speakers. Material technology has come a long way since the 60’s & 70’s. The surrounds on these aren’t susceptible to rotting away. That’s why you still see original, 20 year old, NHT Super series speakers on eBay that are still totally fine.

Yeah, price dropped another ~$0.80. I think that’s the absolute lowest price I’ve seen.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2018, 07:25 pm »
I don’t think the surrounds are foam like "old school" types of speakers. Material technology has come a long way since the 60’s & 70’s. The surrounds on these aren’t susceptible to rotting away.

Good to know. A lot of otherwise usable speakers ended up in the dump because of this. Advents, Allisons, a lot of brands used foam. It was very 'lossy' which is desirable in a surround (it shouldn't have any acoustic output).

CurtisIIX

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2018, 01:42 am »
If version 2.1 are anything like the original models (ca. 1994), these are a very easy load - a true 8 ohm speaker for any C&C amp/receiver to drive.

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-superzero-loudspeaker-sw2-subwoofer-measurements

Cacophonix

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2018, 08:01 pm »
I've a pair of these, and am using it with NHT super center for my living room. Absolute hifi bargain!

sturgus

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:39 pm »
I wish I had never clicked on this thread. I am now the owner of another pair of speakers I have no use for. I am 2 weak when it comes to this stuff. I guess I will use them in place of my Minimus 7's in the kitchen. I can't believe I am buying speakers at the same time I'm trying to sell a pair :duh:. I got it bad and that ain't good.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2018, 08:04 pm »
I wish I had never clicked on this thread. I am now the owner of another pair of speakers I have no use for. I am 2 weak when it comes to this stuff. I guess I will use them in place of my Minimus 7's in the kitchen. I can't believe I am buying speakers at the same time I'm trying to sell a pair :duh: . I got it bad and that ain't good.

Well, if you want to sell these NHT's at a discount... pm me! lol (I'm really cheap!)

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2018, 12:03 pm »
Current Amazon price, $60.12.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2018, 09:18 pm »
My new NHT Zero 2.1's arrived yesterday and this afternoon I found time (retirement is so busy) to give them a listen.  Fine for the $, but no comparison to my Spatial Audio M3TMs.  Heck, the Spatials only cost 25 times as much - they ought sound the same, eh?  The NHTs are really, really pretty though so I can forgive RDavidson for forcing me to buy them.  Man, I love the Spatial Audios.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2018, 10:23 pm »
I got it bad and that ain't good.
I love that song

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2018, 09:05 pm »
My new NHT Zero 2.1's arrived yesterday and this afternoon I found time (retirement is so busy) to give them a listen.  Fine for the $, but no comparison to my Spatial Audio M3TMs.  Heck, the Spatials only cost 25 times as much - they ought sound the same, eh?  The NHTs are really, really pretty though so I can forgive RDavidson for forcing me to buy them.  Man, I love the Spatial Audios.

Hey! I said get them for secondary use. Because you tried them in your primary system you are disqualified from getting a refund and have to sell them to me for pennies on the dollar. :lol: But seriously, I bet you were more amazed by what they can do vs what they can't. Wondering how well they'd respond to some crossover parts upgrades. I think they're hiding a hint of detail / transparency / air, that the drivers are capable of producing.

apstoltz

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2018, 03:04 pm »
anyone else pull the trigger on the Super Zero's on sale? I am thinking about getting a pair for the bedroom and mate with an 8" sub. It is either going to be these or the ERA / Peachtree D4 4.5.

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2018, 02:27 am »
They’re perfect for small setups. An 8" or 10" sub would be an ideal pairing. Just get a pair and see why they’re modern classics for yourself. Amazon has a great return policy.

sturgus

« Reply #16 on: 4 Sep 2018, 09:31 pm »
anyone else pull the trigger on the Super Zero's on sale? I am thinking about getting a pair for the bedroom and mate with an 8" sub. It is either going to be these or the ERA / Peachtree D4 4.5.
Mine just came in yesterday. Will put them through the paces this week. I hope they are as nice as I remember. I use to sell them in the 90's. They made a very good small HT system. We used 5 Zereo's/NHT Sub and a 5 channel Rotel amp/pre-amp/processor. It was a very nice system. I will put them on a pair of stands and run them in my main system.

rlal

« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2018, 06:05 pm »
Hi,

I was looking for a surround speaker for my HT.  I want to us it with Salk silk towers.
I really dont know if I should care too much for timbre matching with fronts for surround speakers.
 Do you guys this will be a good option?
Does it have binding post in the rear? I am not sure if I am asking too much for the price.

Thanks

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2018, 11:44 pm »
Yes, they'll work great as surrounds, assuming you'll cross them over around 80-100hz. Yes, they have binding posts. These are listed at $150 ea and typically sell for $125 ea. They're cheap and cheerful, not junk. Google is your friend. Read the reviews of the originals as well as the reviews of these updated speakers.
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/10654-superzero-2-1-our-amazing-mini-monitor

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2018, 05:13 pm »
When I see speakers like these that people really like and are cheap, I always wonder what it would sound like to stack several pair and use them as a small tower speaker. There would probably be issues with freq. cancellations and such but it might be fun to try.