Carver Professional Tripath Digital Amps, Anyone?

azryan

« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2003, 08:53 pm »
Rup,

"There seems to be a misunderstanding here - my phrasing was to mean that Tripath and Bel Canto are not in the same grouping of "tripath" amplifiers."

What are you talking about?? What are 'groupings' of Tripath amps??

Tripath is the chip company, and Bel Canto is one of many companies that uses Tripath chips.

Wouldn't you call any amp that uses a Tripath chip a Tripath based amp??

Anyway... my point was Spectron doesn't use Triapth chips, and as you being a Spectron dealer I found it odd you not knowing that, and seeming to have a prob. with these other amps being talked about. That's all.

Oh... and you got my handle wrong.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2003, 09:00 pm »
Sooo, I'm not the only one that can't spell your moniker! :lol:   There's a pretty good discussion of the Tripaths and some other digital amps in the two channel forum.

It would be cool to compare the Specrton with the Carver, thru some VMPS speakers.  I've heard only good about both of them.

kent

Re: Carver Professional Tripath Digital Amps, Anyone?
« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2003, 11:38 pm »
Quote from: kristian85
The Carver Professional ZR series, all Tripath amps, are getting some very, very good buzz, and comes highly recommended by Stan Warren himself in conversation with me last week--and they're awfully cheap.  300 wpc ZR1600 fpr $800 online.  They use the sameTripath stuff as Spectron/Bel Canto.

The sceptic in me says no way--they can't be any good.  But, several folks I've heard from swear by them, stating they demand comparison with the best.  Then I'm even more sceptical.

Anyone here used them?

Kristian, what exactly did Stan Warren say about the ZR series? Has this been posted over in the main ongoing Carver ZR discussion thread (in 2 channel)? If so, forgive me for missing it. In any case, I bet people would be very interested to hear what his opinion was, especially a comparative opinion!

Best wishes,

Kent

kristian85

Re: Carver Professional Tripath Digital Amps, Anyone?
« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2003, 08:05 pm »
Quote from: kent
Kristian, what exactly did Stan Warren say about the ZR series?
Best wishes,

Kent

It's been 3 weeks since I spoke with him, so I cannot quote directly, other than to say that he was VERY impressed, indeed, with the ZR500's sound, even against SOTA sound.

I'm very curious to hear what Brian Cheney has to say.  It could be a serious leap forward in SOTA/price ratio!

All the best,

Kristian

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
zr1600
« Reply #24 on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:25 am »
At 120 hrs the ZR1600 has calmed down quite a bit and was sounding quite good this morning on solo piano.

I will take it to John Curl's end of the week for bench testing, then do further burnin in my home system until 200 hrs are reached, when I'll perform comparative tests with four other amps.

I can see why professional modders are eyeing this amp with anticipation.  Inside are cheap parts by the dozen, the power supply caps (60,000uF worth at 100V) are unbypassed electrolytics, the main power transformer appears undersized (no more than 1.2 kVA) and the input and output connectors are primitive by audiophile standards.

I will continue to disable the fan when listening but will hook it back up for bench testing.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #25 on: 1 Oct 2003, 02:25 am »
I will take it to John Curl's end of the week for bench testing, then do further burnin in my home system until 200 hrs are reached, when I'll perform comparative tests with four other amps.

Brian,

It seems that most amps take 200 hours just to start sounding good,more revealing.

If you have not figured it out ...your opinion counts. If you said to spin around four times before listening to your speakers due to stabilizing your equalibrium. I am sure some would do it!!

Will the comparative tests be blind studies with you sitting and someone changing the amps without your knowlege of which you are listening to??? Or will these just be electronic testing test???

Just wondering.

Larry

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
zr1600
« Reply #26 on: 1 Oct 2003, 03:54 am »
I plan to set up the two amps for easy A/B comparison, side by side in my large rack so all I have to do is move the interconnects and speaker wires.  I will do this with each of the four comparison amps for a period until I am satisfied with the result.  I will then invite in some other listeners, and loan the amp to one of them for more comparison testing.

This and the bench testing eliminates two frequent problems with equipment auditions:
1. Is the equipment working properly?
2. Are the differences system-dependent, or do they hold up regardless of associated equipment?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 1 Oct 2003, 05:12 am »
I admire your the thoroughness of your methodology, Mr. Cheney.  Lot's of reviewers (even a certain legendary one that pops in here occasionally) don't seem to always take the trouble to be sure the equipment under review is operating fully up to spec.

You're right, too, that given the inexpensive nature of the amp there should be a lot of potential to mod it and improve the parts quality.  As I'm just a poor working stiff, I don't have a reference Uber System like you do.  But if the Carver isn't embarrassed by the comparisons, then it sounds like I've found my next component.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #28 on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:04 pm »
Brian,

Thanks for the thorough answer.

Remember that this component, the Carver professional, was not intended for the audiophile use.  When I talked to Jack yesterday from the Company, it seems that they are a little taken back by all the positive reviews.

He said that they are taking into serious consideration making a product that is made for home use and even possibly changing the faceplate do something more attractive.

I don't think that this won't be anytime soon but he said because of all the positive reviews from forums even like this one, they are trying to listen to potential future customers.

I think this is a great first step from a company that he seems to have a lot of potential.

Just might take,

Larry Kosova