Some pictures to look at

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:51 am »
I always like seeing pictures other people's systems so I thought I would post a few of mine.  Hope you enjoy them!  :D

System Pics

JoshK

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:48 pm »
Very nice setup!   I hear VMPS sounds wonderful on Pass gear.  I wish I had that kind of room to set my gear up.

Are those polycrystal racks?  Those are my favorite racks that I have found so far.  I am thinking of making my own poly knock offs.  My new apartment has a big balcony (on the 10th floor) where I can make sawdust.  

P.S.  I noticed that in the profile/preferences for your album you can select to have comments allowed.  This might be a great way to get feedback.  I have done this but as of yet noone has left comments. I think b/c noone knows of this feature.

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2003, 03:13 pm »
Hi Josh- Yes they are Polycrystal Racks and I think a knockoff on the frames would be pretty easy for a woodworker.  Shelves are supported by four brass pins that have a flat side for the shelf support and a round side that inserts into holes on the rack.   What's nice is the holes are placed about an inch apart so if you change gear you can change the height of the shelves (holes run the length of the frames).  The top shelves on both racks are supported on four Polycrystal cones point side up and are adjustable for perfect leveling.  Again, you could probably do this yourself with a threaded cone.  As far as the shelves,  the Polycrystal shelves are pretty expensive, you could probably substitute granite or Silestone for a lot less.

Not sure about the "comments allowed" thing you are talking about.  I can't find anything to allow or not allow them?

I welcome comments/feedback. That is how we learn and improve our systems. If anybody has anything to say both good and bad I can take it. :wink:

John Casler

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2003, 01:48 am »
Good Lookin Rig :o

BrunoB

Re: Some pictures to look at
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:37 am »
Quote from: Horsehead
I always like seeing pictures other people's systems so I thought I would post a few of mine.  Hope you enjoy them!  :D

System Pics

Nice pictures.

What is the black stuff behind your speakers? Is it some sound adsorption material?

Bruno

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:54 am »
Thanks John and Bruno.  Those are Eighth Nerve acoustic products in black.  The room has a lot of Eighth Nerve products mostly in ivory, but for the screen wall I chose black.  Painting the wall black behind the screen makes a huge improvement for the video quality and I like it when I dim the lights and sit back and listen to some good old 2 channel which sounds amazing.  

John- The foam tweaks really work well and the looks of them really grew on me.  For some reason I like the RM40 with the foam than without.  I wish I could find a foam place that would make precision cut single strips to the exact length for the baffle.  It's only when you get up close that you see the less than perfect cuts.

John Casler

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2003, 03:12 am »
John- The foam tweaks really work well and the looks of them really grew on me. For some reason I like the RM40 with the foam than without. I wish I could find a foam place that would make precision cut single strips to the exact length for the baffle. It's only when you get up close that you see the less than perfect cuts.

Glad you like them.  I think they do a good job.  Closest thing to the RM/x type cabinet without major surgery.

Your do look much better in the pisctures than mine, but there is something about the color of this brown foam that makes it photograph in this ugly reddish color and they really don't look like that at all.

But then when the lights are low, and your eyes are closed..... :wink:

And I just saw "Soundguy's" rig up in Oregon.  http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=723

Nice stuff Soundguy :wink:

Whats with all the new RM40s in the Gallery?  Juan R, Audiochef, Ekovalsky, You, Soundguy.  

You guys are buying Brian a nice little retirement home in the Bahamas :mrgreen:

Or maybe he'll pick up a small mansion in China right beside Mark's and they can ride in "rickshaws" over to the factory for a little "kimchee" specially prepared by their new Korean Chef.  I think his name is Odd Job. :mrgreen:  :D  :lol:

audiochef

your pics
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2003, 03:52 pm »
very nice set up. I'ts good to see  rm40s supported by such esoteric gear. What do you think of your paladiun powercords  and do you think the'de do justice to my 2500 dollar aragon? Thanks, Stan.

shokunin

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2003, 03:38 am »
Horsehead,

Thanks for posting the pics, you've got a nice setup, I wish I had a dedicated room like you do.  :D   I don't have a gallery up yet, but in JoshK's there's a comment link under each picture.  I never seen that until Josh mentioned it...

Horsehead

Couple of more pics.
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2003, 07:01 pm »
I added a couple of pictures of the Placette Remote Volume Control.  This device is absolutely mind blowing!  It has literally transformed my system and taken it to another level.  The gains in dynamics, resoultion, and smoothness are incredible.  After talking with Guy at Placette Audio, he felt the metal film resisitors used in the Pass Labs D-1's volume control would be constricting my system.  Man, was he ever correct.  I bypassed the D-1 volume control and ouput direct to the Placette RVC. Plenty of gain and absolutely no drawbacks from using a "passive" device.  I'm getting plenty of volume at only half way on the RVC's 125 steps.  I  am posting these comments here because I truly believe the RM40s are an incredible window to the source.  They allow you to judge system changes with absolutely clarity for better or worse.  The RVC is an incredible device.  It was a little pricey at $1800 for the fully balanced version, but for the sound I'm getting now I would pay twice that for it.  Placette Audio offers a full money back 30 day trial period, so I figured I had nothing to lose. Prior to this device, I only had 24 steps on the D-1's volume control and no remote control.  The ability to perfectly dial in system volume with 125 steps is a sheer joy.  Just when you think your system sounds at its peak....... :shake:

www.placetteaudio.com
www.placetteaudio.com/remote_control.htm

Tonto Yoder

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2003, 08:27 pm »
I'm not sure how you can gain dynamics with such a passive device???
I could understand a statement like "eliminates colorations" or something like that, but am confused about the dynamics statement.

(I'm not trying to bring up the cliched argument that passive components LACK dynamics, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying).

Thanks

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2003, 09:06 pm »
The increase in dynamics is very apparent and I would say the RVC is not "adding" these dynamics, just allowing them to pass through unrestricted from the D-1 to the X350.  In talking to Guy, he stated most of his customers report an increase in dynamics in addition to increased resolution.  I called him to report my findings, so the increased dynamics I'm hearing were not the "power of suggestion". :wink:
It's actually pretty easy to A/B with the RVC because you are just inserting it between your source and the amp, either removing a volume control from the preamp or from the source device.  Just make sure levels are matched and the proof is in the listening.

shokunin

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2003, 11:29 pm »
I've not had the chance to listen to the Placette, although there are a number of positive and some so-so reviews on the RVC.  It's good to know that the Pass Amps can be driven off the passive since it's usually a sensitivity and impedance "synergy" that will determine if a passive will work.  Sounds like the Placette's a winner with Pass :D.

Horsehead, which XLR interconnects are those going into the placette?

shokunin

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2003, 11:40 pm »
Oh, didn't see the rest of the pictures, looks like Placette makes interconnects!

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2003, 06:17 am »
Hi shokunin- You're right, your equipment must "work" with the RVC since it is a passive device.  Your source must be able to output enough voltage and have fairly low output impedance, while thew power amp should have sufficient gain and a relatively high input impedance.  The Ampzillas and JC1s at 100K input impedance would work quite well.  You also want to keep the ouput of the RVC close to your amp so short interconnects could be used.  The RVC worked quite well in my system since the D-1 is outputting close to 4 volts with 300 ohm output impedance and the X350 has enough gain and input impedance to have no performance compromises.

This is from the Pass manual on the X series:
"The amplifier does not care what the source impedance is, although its gain will drop a bit with
high source impedances. Since we have 30 dB of gain (26 dB in the X350), we can afford to
throw a little bit away, since the quality is unaffected. Using a balanced source attenuated
through a balanced passive attenuator is perfectly OK, and we often use this approach
ourselves to minimize components in the signal path and also to reduce bit loss in CD players
with digital volume controls."

The best thing to do is have Guy look at the equipment to be used and see if he think it would work.  For truly balanced designs such as the Pass gear, it is worth getting the attenuator in a fully balanced design also.

Dunedain

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2003, 05:03 pm »
Horsehead:  What are those little foam things you are
using to keep your speaker cables from hanging above
the ground and where did you get them?  Do they come
in a variety of heights?

Nice system!  I really like the Pass amp. :)

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2003, 06:38 pm »
Thanks Dunedain. They are cable elevators that I got from Audionut.  I really use them for neatness and taking some of the strain off the connectors going to speakers and amp, etc.  Whether they provide any sonic value, I'm sure my system would still sound great if you removed them.

http://www.audionut.com/pk4/store.pl?section=6

These look the same and are cheaper.

http://www.oregondv.com/CableElevators.htm

Same purpose. Different look.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstwek&1065770030&class&3&4&

Horsehead

Some pictures to look at
« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2003, 06:38 pm »
Thanks Dunedain. They are cable elevators that I got from Audionut.  I really use them for neatness and taking some of the strain off the connectors going to speakers and amp, etc.  Whether they provide any sonic value, I'm sure my system would still sound great if you removed them.

http://www.audionut.com/pk4/store.pl?section=6

John Casler

A "Tweakers" Version of cable isolators
« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2003, 07:47 pm »
OK, I don't beleive it myself, but I just tried a "tweakers" version of these things, (not that I beleive they work) and I'm sure I imagined an increase in sonic clairty.  

Might I say a decrease in "grunge" which you don't notice till its gone.

At the risk of my own self ridicule  :nono: I will say I think I heard a difference.

Now the cool thing is I used one of my daughter's toys to make these things.  They are called Ring-A-Majigs and cost all of $17, for enough to do every freaking wire/cable in your system.

http://www.epinions.com/Ringa-Majigs

They are like LEGOs (which might also work).  Now they don't have the weight and vibration dampening qualities of the heavy porcelean models, but they certainly could offer some "isolation" from the dreaded "carpet dielectric". :lol:  :lol:

They can be stacked to any height and come in "yummy" colors :lol:  :lol:

And if they don't work, givem to your nephew.   :wink: