Sell me on VMPS, slay the rest!

The Oracle

« on: 4 Jul 2003, 10:11 am »
Now that I have your attention, this following that you have appears to be very much from ribbon models and up. These are OUTSIDE my price range. So, the 626se unshielded is the only practical option.
Who will dare to compare to say, VSS Eros Mk1 or 2, GR A/V2 or 3,
Northcreek Ikema, BESL DIY2000, Murphy Usher or similar.
A separate sub appeals, to give flexibility of room matching and lifelike dynamics - important.
Room 18x14x8 concrete floor
Amp will be AKSA 100watt
Music - contemporary pop / rock and acoustic instrumental
Please refer to my post on page 4 of GENERAL CIRCLE - "Yet another request for speaker input."
I live in New Zealand, so can't audition and expect to have to build cabinets.

Thank you in advance
The Oracle

lifewithmusic

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2003, 05:14 pm »
I expect there have been no responses to this post because, like me, none of us have heard the associated components.

However, you can read the resounding endorsements of VMPS products.  I don't think they can be bested at or near their price points.

For example, the only competition the RM-40 might have close to its value, is a Mangepan 3.6R or the Martin Logan CLS.  These are both  dipole planar speaker with much reduced base, and generally a different listening experience.  Cones just can't compete with VMPS' ribbon midrange and tweeters in terms of clarity, speed, smoothness, tonal accuracy and dynamic jump.  Some cones can compete in terms of sensitivity, and soundstaging.  There may be other ways to compare and contrast the two, but those are examples.

Hope this helps.

The Oracle

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2003, 09:41 am »
Thanks 'lifewithmusic'
But where are these resounding endorsements? I've searched many forums and found a few comments here and there.
Remember - the 626r and above are verboten, can probably stretch to the cone and dome 626se unshielded, so this is the only model that matters to me.
Sure - the theory of the design is convincing - but they're not in front of me!
P.S. these for music only, no movies

The Oracle

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2003, 12:38 pm »
You could perhaps be clearer about what exactly you are looking for. Do you want opinions from people who own that particular model, the 626se?

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2003, 06:46 pm »
Hi Oracle,

I would doubt if many have had the opportunity to A/B the 626SE with the speakers you are listing.

There is little doubt that the SE version is an incredible speaker based on its components.

The SE has dual Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers and the Focal inverted metal oxide harddome tweeter. (if it is still available)

I have heard the regular QSO626, but not the 626SE.  As well, I have not heard all the speakers you mention so cannot give you an opinion.

But I have heard the standard model and it is hard to beat in a dynamic cone speaker.  Hopefully some one else on list has had the opportunity to hear or own the SE version.

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2003, 06:58 pm »
Any of the three speakers you mentioned should be OK. I have heard several of the GR Reseach speakers and they are pretty good for that price-point. Even though I am a VMPS dealer, I have not heard the 626SE. In fact, I am not sure if it is even sold anymore (one of these days/years, Brian is going to have to up update his website :banghead: ). Comparing a 626R to a GR Research 2, the 626R is the clear winner in my mind (better imaging, fuller mid, more detail, etc.). However, the 626SE is a totally different speaker and I would not be surprised if many people prefered the GR 2.    

Given that you are on a very limited budget and live in New Zealand, I might even suggest that you search out one of the local DIY speaker building clubs to see what others are doing. It will likely be much cheaper/easier if you can do a design that you can get drivers/crossovers locally since shipping/duties will likely be somewhat high. Also, some drivers/crossover parts that are really cheap in the USA are very expensive in Australia (and vise-versa).  

My suggestion would be do an inexpensive local design (or get one of the clones that filter down through South-East Asia to Australia/New Zealand) and then save up your Kiwi Dollars for something truly in the "audiophile" class like the 626R with Free Swinging Tweeter. Hope that helps.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

Rocket

speaker choices
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2003, 05:09 am »
hi,

thought i might make an alternative suggestion.  i have not heard vmps but i'm sure they are very good speakers.

http://www.geocities.com/diyproac25/

i did hear this speaker on saturday and it was very good.  it is a copy of the proac response 2.5,  it is supposed to sound 95 % like the original.

it cost about $1000au to build.

regards

rod

The Oracle

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2003, 09:00 am »
Thanks all for your consideration

John R - Yes, current users with experience of previous speakers and recent comparisons would be great.

John Casler - I've researched more posts about 626r vs Ref1, concluded I would'nt enjoy the near field requirement of 626r - 626se unshielded may not have same dispersion and could be more dynamic with 2 drivers.
However, Wayne J's Eros Mk2 has been described as very dynamic by more than one. Pity it's quite large and would be a handful to build.

S.S.S - What drivers in NZ? Buying drivers from Australia is dearer than from USA!
No local designers that I know of.
Where are clones of S.E. Asia found?

Rocket - Thanks - maybe, but warm bass of original didn't bowl me over

We'll see what is posted next
Cheers - The Oracle

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2003, 10:51 pm »
John Casler - I've researched more posts about 626r vs Ref1, concluded I would'nt enjoy the near field requirement of 626r - 626se unshielded may not have same dispersion and could be more dynamic with 2 drivers.

Hi Oracle,

I'm not sure how you concluded that the 626R has a nearfield required listening position.  

That is generally my prefernce but that is because I don't like listening to the room generated sounds.  

It has nothing to do with the 626R.  I listen to "all" speakers this way.

In fact, you could listen at a more "farfield" position with the 626R than many other speakers, because of its "more controlled" dispersion and reduced room interaction at a distance.

Sorry  :? if I wrote something that gave you the wrong impression.