Wilson Audio demonstration at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2013 Video Recap

jhm731

At this year's Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, Wilson Audio demonstrated the system that represents their state-of-the-art: Alexandria XLF supported by two Thor's Hammer Subwoofers. With program material including DSD transfers of some of Dave Wilson's legendary recordings from the 1980s. A video recap of the undertaking, from setup to the reactions of those who were there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohZKxklzIA

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I don't get the speakers but very cool. 

Geardaddy

Quite the effort.  Very kool. 

jhm731

Quite the effort.  Very kool.

Yes, quite an effort.

Wish I could have attended the Wilson owners event, but family issues don't allow me to travel to the mainland.

My local WA dealer just installed a pair of XLFs with a single Thor and I'm hoping to get the opportunity to hear
that system.

Don_S

And that, my friends, is why the doors were closed to prevent interruptions during the presentation.

I hope they repeat the effort at CES.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I will disagree, these monsters are pathetic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgGrVUdMFaA
They trying valorize the maximum this product, see the Joshua Bell experiment.

mav52

The Vapor room next door sounded better. 

jimdgoulding

Probably are magnificent.  A Rolls is probably fun to drive, too, for somebody.  When you have the money to buy anything, is it still fun?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Probably are magnificent.  A Rolls is probably fun to drive, too, for somebody.  When you have the money to buy anything, is it still fun?
Good point.
Mark Levinson once said he regreat to invest in audio equips and would do a more useful service to people working with live music.

Geardaddy

Good point.
Mark Levinson once said he regreat to invest in audio equips and would do a more useful service to people working with live music.

or those who recorded the music....

a.wayne

No it did not , thats  just silly .....  :roll:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Stop being silly, mav52...Vapor didn't have Hors D'Oeuvres, or 500ks worth of equipment, or engineers taking measurements to find the best room the week before...so you must be mistaken! But thanks oh so much for your opinion! (Actually, thanks!) I built the Nimbus cabs, and I'm very proud of them. Wilson is a name that is very respected, and there isn't anything wrong with putting on the show that they did. But the Vapor room was proof that if a few guys could work their tails off to try to make the best speakers that they could possibly build, and use all the supporting equipment that they had, something special could be done. Thanks again, mav52, and all the others that liked the Vapor room.  :thumb:

Ed

SoCalWJS

The Vapor room sounded very, very good! I couldn't give an honest opinion as to which sounded better. Completely different music in different rooms, so tough to be diffinitive. I believe the Wilson room was better....

.... but the Vapor room was incredibly good for a whole heck of a lot less money and was by far the better value. That it can be mentioned in the same class as the Wilson system, which must have cost - what? over 500k. almost 750k???????? - shows how great a deal they are.  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
The Wilson room was amazing but it wasn't the best system at RMAF imo.

IMO Wilson needs to work on their high end, recent developments in tweeter/hf reproduction have left them in the dust. Vaughn and Lanche's plasma tweeter, Beryllium tweeters used by many including the $3900 Odyssey speakers, RAAL ribbons and the TAD CST driver are all better.

The Wilson room was at least tied with TAD on dynamics but the upper mids and highs are much better on the TADs.

I also think the highs on the Vapors are better than Wilson, but it's hard to tell overall because the acoustics in the Vapor room weren't good enough to be able to make fine judgements. That's one advantage of having engineers measure the room beforehand I suppose, and the advantage there definitely goes to Wilson.

For me the difference in prices don't matter so much, I can't afford a $10k speaker just as much as I can't afford a $100k speaker right now.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
or those who recorded the music....
Wilson also do audiophile recordings and pharmaceutical research, maybe for the huge profits of audio speakers he had leave these jobs and keep in loudspeakers manufacturing.

brj

Quote from: FULLRANGEMAN
Wilson also do audiophile recordings and pharmaceutical research

Can you share your references showing Wilson Audio's involvement in pharmaceutical research?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Can you share your references showing Wilson Audio's involvement in pharmaceutical research?
It was mentioned on TAS or in a old Wilson site version bio.
It not any kind of secret or sensitive infom just curriculum vitae.

jhm731

I just checked, DW worked for Cutter and Pfizer pharmaceuticals.

He has degrees in zoology and chemistry.

« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 12:02 am by jhm731 »