A new Cab design; Part II!!!

Phil A

Re: A new Cab design; Part II!!!
« Reply #60 on: 22 Feb 2017, 08:33 pm »
Great looking room fex02!

On my pc your picture is upside down but on my iphone 6 it's right side up...weird.

Same here - strange

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #61 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm »
I had a very nice visit with fex02 and his new room is going to be sonic nirvana once he gets it all set up.

I also visited an old friend in Orlando who is certified in HT setup and calibration.  fex02 has his contact info and I really hope they get together to get all the nice room treatments that are on the way into their optimal locations.

Anyone in the central Florida region really needs to get by Francis' place and check out the dedicated room.  I'm so jealous its disgusting.

Folsom

« Reply #62 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:29 pm »
I live in the most opposite state, otherwise I'd love to stop by. It looks nice a great large room to really let the magic happen.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #63 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:36 pm »
Love the waveguide. Is the woofer transmission line? What frequency range are you looking at? Sensitivity,etc?

Good Luck, looks GREAT so far.

The woofer for this prototype is the new Acoustic Elegance TD8S.  After baffle step compensation, I'd say we're looking at around 86.5dB/2.83V.  Target crossover point with the T-Labs MgO dome will be close to 1000Hz.  The cabinet is large enough to host a 10" woofer, and I've contemplated using the AE TD10S as an option.  That configuration would yield a slightly higher sensitivity of around 88dB/2.83V with sustained SPL well over 112dB, a true studio mastering monitor.  Either version will boast bass into the 30s and highs to just beyond 20KHz.  We could also opt for the 4 Ohm version woofer and gain an additional 3dB of sensitivity.

The inversion layer material has a unique set of properties.  It is incredibly strong but also quite porous.  You can literally pour water through it were it not for the laminate skin.  That porosity creates the ability for the material to swallow up sonic energy far more effectively than a solid wall.  It also makes it very difficult to transmit sound through it via vibration.  The resulting cabinet walls are very inert, for both sonic and environmental concerns.

Phil A

« Reply #64 on: 23 Feb 2017, 12:32 am »
I had a very nice visit with fex02 and his new room is going to be sonic nirvana once he gets it all set up.

I also visited an old friend in Orlando who is certified in HT setup and calibration.  fex02 has his contact info and I really hope they get together to get all the nice room treatments that are on the way into their optimal locations.

Anyone in the central Florida region really needs to get by Francis' place and check out the dedicated room.  I'm so jealous its disgusting.

I agree.  Went there when Ryan delivered his speakers and will have to check out the new room for sure.  A bit of a ride for me too (Florida is a big state).

GentleBender

« Reply #65 on: 24 Feb 2017, 10:42 am »
Keep the pictures coming. Seems like an evolution of the Aurora. That is a good thing since it would work well in so many different sized spaces.  :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #66 on: 2 Apr 2017, 01:13 am »
A friend visiting says the pics don't give a sense of size and I need to have an updated pic. So, here it it's guys.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #67 on: 2 Apr 2017, 01:40 am »
Holy Shnikies!

I must agree with your friend - earlier pics definitely did not give me a realistic sense of size.

bajaed

« Reply #68 on: 2 Apr 2017, 02:02 am »
Those are Massive!

I remember how amazing the Aurora's were when i heard them at Ryan's. Perfectly balanced, detailed and POWERFUL while at the same time smooth and completely non fatiguing.

Ive got a feeling you've taken the next step with these! Really like the looks.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #69 on: 2 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm »
It's twue! It's twue!

Really cool looking cabinets Ed. With that design, I am picturing them in a glossy candy apple red or deep shade of blue. What color are you going with for the first pair?

EdRo

« Reply #70 on: 2 Apr 2017, 01:43 pm »
LOL!!! I was thinking Ferrari Yellow; something presumptious and over the top; with polished black corian baffles. I wanted to portray a fast exotic look. That idea went over like a fart in church. Now the color is slated to be a solid piano white. We just finished the sidewalls of the second cab last night. Almost there!

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #71 on: 2 Apr 2017, 02:41 pm »
LOL!!! I was thinking Ferrari Yellow; something presumptious and over the top; with polished black corian baffles. I wanted to portray a fast exotic look. That idea went over like a fart in church. Now the color is slated to be a solid piano white. We just finished the sidewalls of the second cab last night. Almost there!

Ha! I was wondering if anyone would get the reference!

Yellow sounds really cool for the same reason I was thinking red, but I agree it would be a tough sell. I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress, keep us posted.

EdRo

« Reply #72 on: 2 Apr 2017, 04:49 pm »
And then there were 2!!! Here's the first pair of prototype together for the first time ever!!!

fex02

« Reply #73 on: 2 Apr 2017, 05:44 pm »
sweet

monte

« Reply #74 on: 2 Apr 2017, 06:23 pm »
Looking good

otto802

« Reply #75 on: 3 Apr 2017, 01:27 am »
I wonder how they will look in my living room..... 8)

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #76 on: 3 Apr 2017, 01:47 am »
A friend visiting says the pics don't give a sense of size and I need to have an updated pic. So, here it it's guys.

AWESOME!! :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #77 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:42 pm »
Ok guys... I'm trying to get things done!!! My thumb is "tender", but time waits for no man. Anyway, I don't like how a flat top looks, so I'll try this. Anyone besides me like this?

monte

« Reply #78 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:46 pm »
That sets it off real good

bajaed

« Reply #79 on: 16 Jul 2017, 09:11 pm »
Ed I liked the flat top but this is even better. Glad you are back at it.