Bepure2 and tube amp suggestions

hoard

Bepure2 and tube amp suggestions
« on: 4 Jul 2023, 02:21 am »
I saw the thread a while ago on the Cary Sli-80 was curious if anyone has used a Cary Sli-100 on them, thoughts, differences? I have kick ass solid state Odyssey now and was looking at tubes for these magical beauties. The Odyssey amps sound excellent and have massive punch, not sure what I am after anymore, am I missing something with tubes?  I have only had the speakers a few weeks.
Thanks for any input.

JCarney

Re: Bepure2 and tube amp suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2023, 02:56 am »
Try a tubed pre. It will give you that tube love without losing any control over the drivers Odyssey's are known for. You should be able to find one that meets your needs used for a good savings. I had tubes in my phono stage and the pre. I like the tube front end stuff with solid state power, but that's just me. The Candela is tubed, and affordable. Call Klaus.  :lol:

Good Luck,
JCarney

hoard

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:01 am »
I forgot to mention. I have the SS/tube Candela pre amp from Odyssey, does this qualify for tube, or are you saying go full tube in the pre amp, thanks

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:50 am »
Yeah, it qualifies. There are several tube integrated's just on the first page of amplification in the trading post, which the Cary is I think. There are more "traditional" tubed pre's I would guess, maybe one of those? I have not kept up with current offerings, so I don'y have a lot of recommendations for you. Elekit is good place to look. Good products and good prices.

JCarney

Rshorb

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2023, 08:41 am »
McGary Audio SA-1E…. End game amp if your looking to gain that tube sound and not lose any low end performance.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:06 pm »
Those speakers deserve the best tube amp and tube preamp you can afford. Based on the speaker sensitivity, you'll need plenty of tube power.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:51 pm »
I've had Odyssey Kismet amp and really liked it. Still, I would try a tube amp and see for yourself. For the money, I'd look for a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP amp or integrated to start. If you get the amp only you can use the candela pre, but you should be able to find a good deal on a used Dialogue HP integrated. Heck, even the regular Dialogue Premium integrated or amp will have enough power to drive those speakers, and they cost a lot less to tube roll since there's 4 power tubes instead of 8. I've never heard Cary but everything I've heard from those who have experienced them is positive. Regarding the difference between solid state and tubes, once I've heard tubes I've yet to find a solid state amp that I prefer.

DFpritchard

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2023, 05:32 pm »
Have you read the March 27 BePure2 + Tubes = Heaven thread?  I had some doubts about the whole 'tube' thing myself and was quite satisfied with the BePure2s driven by my Mark Levinson No. 585.  Curiosity prevailed and I tried an Ayon Spirit 3 integrated purchased used for $3K.  Sold my Levinson for $4800 and never looked back.  Still don't know if tubes are better than transistors, or just different, but the combination of tubes with the BePure2s is stunning.  Not necessarily better than transistors or the Levinson, just different in ways I prefer.  I am also guided by what Jim S chooses to demo the BePure2s with, that is, the McGary tube gear (and Anticables Flex 4.2 speaker cable, with I also bought). 

The sensitivity and resistance of the BePure2s gives you lots of options.  I use the Ayon in pentode mode, about 1/4th the power of the Levinson.  No problem driving these things to 95+ dB.  The folks at Raven have a home trial arrangement.  Their Avian series Osprey (I think) for about $5K is something I had been looking for but they never come up in the used market.

hoard

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2023, 11:12 pm »
  :o Thanks for all the info everyone, lots of good stuff here

Those speakers deserve the best tube amp and tube preamp you can afford. Based on the speaker sensitivity, you'll need plenty of tube power.

The Bepure2 are 90 dB, should be fairly easy to drive these?

I've had Odyssey Kismet amp and really liked it. Still, I would try a tube amp and see for yourself. For the money, I'd look for a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP amp or integrated to start. If you get the amp only you can use the candela pre, but you should be able to find a good deal on a used Dialogue HP integrated. Heck, even the regular Dialogue Premium integrated or amp will have enough power to drive those speakers, and they cost a lot less to tube roll since there's 4 power tubes instead of 8. I've never heard Cary but everything I've heard from those who have experienced them is positive. Regarding the difference between solid state and tubes, once I've heard tubes I've yet to find a solid state amp that I prefer.

Good call on the 4 tubes vs 8 tubes, always thinking more must be better, but that, could be an expensive nightmare, and yes. I am looking at the Prima luna also

Have you read the March 27 BePure2 + Tubes = Heaven thread?  I had some doubts about the whole 'tube' thing myself and was quite satisfied with the BePure2s driven by my Mark Levinson No. 585.  Curiosity prevailed and I tried an Ayon Spirit 3 integrated purchased used for $3K.  Sold my Levinson for $4800 and never looked back.  Still don't know if tubes are better than transistors, or just different, but the combination of tubes with the BePure2s is stunning.  Not necessarily better than transistors or the Levinson, just different in ways I prefer.  I am also guided by what Jim S chooses to demo the BePure2s with, that is, the McGary tube gear (and Anticables Flex 4.2 speaker cable, with I also bought). 

The sensitivity and resistance of the BePure2s gives you lots of options.  I use the Ayon in pentode mode, about 1/4th the power of the Levinson.  No problem driving these things to 95+ dB.  The folks at Raven have a home trial arrangement.  Their Avian series Osprey (I think) for about $5K is something I had been looking for but they never come up in the used market.

I just read it, on a quest to get the best out of these speakers, the home trial thing looks awesome, looks like several companies are doing it, this is a great way to not get screwed thanks.

McGary Audio SA-1E…. End game amp if your looking to gain that tube sound and not lose any low end performance.

30 watts enough horsepower for the speakers? seems like it's on the low side, but 30 tube watts vs ss, yea.

Yeah, it qualifies. There are several tube integrated's just on the first page of amplification in the trading post, which the Cary is I think. There are more "traditional" tubed pre's I would guess, maybe one of those? I have not kept up with current offerings, so I don'y have a lot of recommendations for you. Elekit is good place to look. Good products and good prices.

JCarney

I think if I go tube. I will want all tube and not hybrid. I will check out the Trading post, Elekit is a bunch of parts you have to glue together :( or do they have finished stuff

Boybees

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2023, 11:37 pm »
I saw the thread a while ago on the Cary Sli-80 was curious if anyone has used a Cary Sli-100 on them, thoughts, differences? I have kick ass solid state Odyssey now and was looking at tubes for these magical beauties. The Odyssey amps sound excellent and have massive punch, not sure what I am after anymore, am I missing something with tubes?  I have only had the speakers a few weeks.
Thanks for any input.

Thanks for starting this thread! I share many of your questions - my BePure2s are currently at 46% completion on the project tracking website. :hyper:

TerryWI

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2023, 11:54 pm »
This guide is listed on the BePure 2 product page:

Easy Load
At 90db (2.83 V/M), the BePure 2's are an easy load for just about any amp. 30 tube watts or 50 solid sate watts are plenty sufficient to drive them at relatively high SPL's.

https://www.salksound.com/model-bp.php?model=BePure+2

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2023, 12:24 am »
"I think if I go tube. I will want all tube and not hybrid. I will check out the Trading post, Elekit is a bunch of parts you have to glue together :( or do they have finished stuff?"

I believe Elekit it is pretty much diy, but I am not 100% sure. They come up in threads every so often and seem to be well regarded. I've always like Manley Labs stuff. I have a circa 1999 Stingray with all chrome chassis and gold faceplate. 50 watts per channel using EL84's. There are a lot of good tube integrated stuff out there to choose from. I'd look for something with a minimum 50 watts per channel or more just for the extra headroom. You just need to find what tickles your fancy.

Have fun,
JCarney

PS
For fun, you could look at Atmasphere's web page. They make a lot of powerful monster tube amps. Like hundreds of watts, it's a hoot to look and drool a little.

Rshorb

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2023, 12:26 am »
  :o Thanks for all the info everyone, lots of good stuff here

The Bepure2 are 90 dB, should be fairly easy to drive these?

Good call on the 4 tubes vs 8 tubes, always thinking more must be better, but that, could be an expensive nightmare, and yes. I am looking at the Prima luna also

I just read it, on a quest to get the best out of these speakers, the home trial thing looks awesome, looks like several companies are doing it, this is a great way to not get screwed thanks.

30 watts enough horsepower for the speakers? seems like it's on the low side, but 30 tube watts vs ss, yea.

I think if I go tube. I will want all tube and not hybrid. I will check out the Trading post, Elekit is a bunch of parts you have to glue together :( or do they have finished stuff

Regarding 30 watts for the McGary audio. That is using EL34 tubes and KT 77’s. And with those tube I have recorded peaks of 102 db at 4 meters, that is with the Bepure2’s . You can also go up to a KT 90 in those amps and get 50 watts. I would say this is a very conservative rating on Mikes part. This amp will power my SS 9.5’s and rattle the windows.

Boybees

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2023, 01:42 am »
Regarding 30 watts for the McGary audio. That is using EL34 tubes and KT 77’s. And with those tube I have recorded peaks of 102 db at 4 meters, that is with the Bepure2’s . You can also go up to a KT 90 in those amps and get 50 watts. I would say this is a very conservative rating on Mikes part. This amp will power my SS 9.5’s and rattle the windows.

How does the McGary amp do in terms of pressurizing the room with bass. That feeling that the bass is incredibly muscular and powerful, but at the same time subtle and balanced. That is, controlled.

Rshorb

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2023, 01:57 am »
Listening to bass heavy tracks, I’ve never wanted for more ( running KT88’s ). His transformers are over sized for the output power. I’m guessing that’s why the bass performance is right up there with solid state. I have many different amps I’ve run with the Bepure2’s. I had Tyr mono’s on them at one time. I just keep coming back to this combo. I feel you lose nothing but the midrange and top end is well End game for me. I’ve been to Jim’s shop a few times and 2 things were never for sale. His Bepure 3’s and his McGary Audio SA2. The fact that he will not part with it speaks volumes.

Boybees

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2023, 03:24 am »
It also speaks volumes that you did a direct comparison with powerful solid state monoblocks, and then went back to the 30-watt tube amp with the feeling that you sacrificed nothing on the low end.

Rshorb

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2023, 04:21 am »
They do make quite the pair.

ckullmann1

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2023, 01:10 pm »
Has anyone heard the McGary amp with SS8s?  Is the lower wattage an issue in that case?

Rocket

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2023, 12:48 pm »
Hello Hoard,

At this level you really really need to listen to any gear in your own system. I currently use Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambrosia (SST) and Ampzilla Monoblocks in my system. For years I swore buy using a tube preamplifier but after using the SST Ambrosia I don't feel this way any more.  So if you have the opportunity please listen to any new gear in your own system. Btw Odyssey is top notch gear :).

All the best.

Rod

Boybees

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2023, 09:01 pm »
Here's an interesting amp from Whammerdyne in Portland, OR:

http://whammerdyne.com/product/circuit-salad-hybrid/

It combines a tube front end with a solid state output stage, and looks cool as well. :dance: