Welcome to the era of the'Virtual Audio Show'

dB Cooper

Welcome to the era of the'Virtual Audio Show'
« on: 8 Dec 2020, 10:08 am »
OK, now they are trying to present a 'Virtual Audio Show'. Presented by Resistor Magazine, the 'tour guide' is Rafe Arnott, whom you may remember as the face of the ruination of Innerfidelity after Tyll Hertsens was forced out. To me, it reads just like a digital edition of TAS or Stereophile, just written from the POV of the one 'attendee' which does give it a certain 'coherence', I suppose. You be the judge.

https://resistormag.com/features/vancouver-virtual-audio-festival-2020/

Look for the HERE link under the second big photo.

Navigation is 'Mystery Meat' style- click on the thumbnail at the bottom of each page to go to the next 'room'. There's only, like, 3 as the whole thing apparently took place in some Vancouver audio shop (apparently there are still a few of those scattered around).

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Welcome to the era of the'Virtual Audio Show'
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2020, 12:46 pm »
I visited the Hifi Centre a few years ago. My buddy and I were directed to a Classe/Maggies room to listen to just two songs. It was a great demonstration thanks to the gear and careful placement/room treatment. As soon as I said, "That's great!", the salesman immediately pushed hard to make a sale. Unfortunately for him, all he accomplished was our quick exit.

In eleven days, I'm going to attend (in person no less!) the 2020 Taipei Audio & Art Festival in the Grand Hotel in Taipei. This will be my third year in a row.  :popcorn: That's right. There is no community spread of Covid-19 here.  :o

Stay tuned...

Michael

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2020, 02:21 pm »
I visited the Hifi Centre a few years ago. My buddy and I were directed to a Classe/Maggies room to listen to just two songs. It was a great demonstration thanks to the gear and careful placement/room treatment. As soon as I said, "That's great!", the salesman immediately pushed hard to make a sale. Unfortunately for him, all he accomplished was our quick exit.

Not surprised. They almost have to. Gotta keep those six figure boxes moving. We gotta move those microwave ovens. We gotta move these color TV's...

A_shah

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2020, 03:46 pm »
Good Luck at the Taipei show - But stay safe !  :popcorn:

Asghar

displayname

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2020, 06:22 pm »

In eleven days, I'm going to attend (in person no less!) the 2020 Taipei Audio & Art Festival in the Grand Hotel in Taipei. This will be my third year in a row.  :popcorn: That's right. There is no community spread of Covid-19 here.  :o

Stay tuned...

Michael
I'm very jealous of the parts of the world that has controlled covid well enough to return to semi normal, let alone audio shows. Enjoy your time, be safe, and take pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2020, 12:30 am »
I'm very jealous of the parts of the world that has controlled covid well enough to return to semi normal, let alone audio shows. Enjoy your time, be safe, and take pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

I'll bring my mask to wear if it's really crowded. After 10+ months of extreme caution, it's hard to just forget about it. I'll snap photos and offer simple commentary in a dedicated thread.

Good Luck at the Taipei show - But stay safe !  :popcorn:

Asghar

Ashgar,

I miss your posts! I hope all is well. Did you order a new DAC?

Stay safe, you say? These Asian audio shows always have a dozen or more pretty young things dressed in skimpy outfits. I'll snap a couple photos for you (and for the others). I'll be safe so long as I don't touch them.  :lol:

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2020, 12:48 am »
This internet tracking cookie shit has reached a new low. After commenting above about how I visited that audio shop in Vancouver, lo and behold there is a big advertisement in my FB feed just 10 hours later.

Big brother really is watching.  :nono:

ServerAdmin

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:15 am »
???

Unless I'm much mistaken, AudioCircle doesn't deliver tracking cookies to logged-in users. More likely you "caught" it by visiting the site linked in the first post, or a Google search.

But if you're actually concerned about tracking, you can take action yourself: 1. use a browser or browser plugin that blocks trackers; 2. change your search engine to DuckDuckGo; and, er... 3. don't use Facebook.

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:22 am »
I agree that I likely caught it from clicking the link.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:40 am »
Irony is, you don't even have to use Facebook- there are many sites that have facebook trackers on them that track you whether you have an account or not! Firefox users, install the 'Facebook Container' plug-in to help. Safari has good tracking protection but is Mac-only. Lastly, avoid Chome (Chromium, which is Chrome without the big-brother code, has a reputation for being more privacy-friendly).