For All You Maggie/Bryston Fans Out There!

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
For All You Maggie/Bryston Fans Out There!
« on: 8 Mar 2008, 12:17 am »
MEMO: To all Bryston Representatives
SUBJECT: Magnepan Demo at CES 2008

The latest Absolute Sound Magazine (April/May 2008) issue has CES show coverage by most of their reviewers. Harry Pearson ended his CES show coverage article with the Maggie Room at the Alexus Park.

Here is what he had to say:

"Last, but, hardly least, Magnepan, in a special room at the Alexus Park, set up a demonstration that didn't look, on paper, all that promising, but, which was, in fact, perhaps another omen of things to come in speaker situating. .........all of planar design and in this application, motorized........as well as a planar woofer panels under what looked like, and was for all practical purposes, end tables.

You had to hear it to believe it:  a terrific spread, and for once, quite wide dynamic contrasts, and from a Maggie no less, plus a midrange and high end lower in distortion than any of the company's smaller speakers........A word about the design: The midrange drivers in the panel are the result of Jim Winey's work on developing a computer speaker.......The effect: breathtaking. And something from a company that had been seeking new directions.

.....So, when it came down to what I heard (at CES), particularly in speaker designs, it was new directions with a resulting new realism".

HP

This special Magneplaner demonstration was powered by and all BRYSTON system consisting of:

•   Bryston 7B-SST Mono Amplifiers x 3

•   Bryston BP26/MPS-2 Preamplifier

•   BCD-1 CD Player.

James Tanner
Bryston, Ltd.
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2008, 12:43 am by James Tanner »

steve k

Re: For All You Maggie/Bryston Fans Out There!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2008, 12:51 am »
I assume the "end table" woofers were Magnepan's new planar subs. What model were the rest of the speakers?

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2008, 12:55 am »
I assume the "end table" woofers were Magnepan's new planar subs. What model were the rest of the speakers?

Hi Steve,

Yes the subs were as you state- I believe the others (LCR) were prototypes of new models.

james

Burke

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2008, 02:39 am »
Since several of Magnepan's current models are already breathtaking when driven by Bryston 7B SSTs, I will be very interested in hearing the new ones with the Bryston amps as well.

I hope my local Bryston dealer will become a Magnepan dealer soon to facilitate such a demo, because the current Magnepan dealer in this area hardly ever has any Maggies properly on display, and even if they did, they probably wouldn't be too keen on someone bringing in Bryston amps for a demo instead of using their brands.

Burke

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2008, 01:49 pm »

Hi Steve,

Spoke to Magnepan and the speakers they used in the CES 2008 demo are called:

MMC 2 (for motorized, multi-channel)
Woofer is DW 1 (for DiPlanar Woofer) - it is not a sub it is a woofer to extend the range of the LCR's

james

steve k

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2008, 02:08 pm »
I remember reading about them now. So they're made for home theater. It would be intereseting to hear how well the drivers integrate. I would think the woofers would be more directional than subs. Its' still an interesting solution to the bad WAF larger maggies have as you can get the full range response of the larger maggies without the large footprint. Damn, I wish we still had a Magnepan dealer in our area--I'd love to hear them.s
steve