First time at Floida Audio Expo!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
First time at Floida Audio Expo!
« on: 12 Jan 2020, 11:34 pm »
Here is the press sheet for the room.

Very excited to be showing with the very best each of my partners has! Should be an outstanding room and I can't wait to hear the Statement VAC with the Apollos!!!! :thumb:

tonyptony

Re: First time at Floida Audio Expo!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2020, 01:02 pm »
Hi Lou! You should enjoy FLAX. I was at the premier last year and had a great time. While it is a smaller show it has a great vibe and the attendance was great. The free entry drew a much more diverse crowd. IMO a great opportunity to expose more folks to our hobby. The rooms also support being able to get very good sound. Good luck. See you there!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2020, 02:35 pm »
Looks nice - I'll be there.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2020, 09:34 pm »
Really pretty excited about this room, top shelf gear from VAC, Lampizator and WyWires!
I feel like a kid who just was handed keys to a hotrodded Lamborghini :thumb:
http://www.vac-amps.com/productPages/Statement450i_iQ.html

dodgealum

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2020, 09:57 pm »
Lou--should be outrageous! I'll follow along from the cold of New Jersey :duh: Have a great time!

RonN5

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2020, 10:47 pm »
I'm thinking that for anyone that can pony up the $150k....the Apollos should be thrown in to 'seal the deal'....also it looks like VAC is going to be in three other rooms as well.

And...according to the event website....the expos rooms and the tickets are now sold out.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2020, 12:54 am »
The Florida Audio Expo, per my understanding is free to the general public. The rooms at Embassy Suites for both the vendors and guests are sold out however.

Best,
Anand.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:16 am »
There are nice sounding rooms.  The structure was originally condos.  I'd guess though this will be the last year at this location as the hotel is not huge.  Last year one could barely get an elevator on Saturday.  I'll just be going Friday (it's a drive from the other coast) and staying Friday night and leaving before Saturday (probably early afternoon) turns into a crowded mess.  There will be tons of traffic through the rooms so it's good for vendors.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:22 am »
Really pretty excited about this room, top shelf gear from VAC, Lampizator and WyWires!
I feel like a kid who just was handed keys to a hotrodded Lamborghini :thumb:
http://www.vac-amps.com/productPages/Statement450i_iQ.html

Reminds me of an 80s Cray super computer.

Is this the hardware that blasts the Apollos into space.

Looks like a great show.

All the best Lou - and many new converts

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2020, 02:17 am »
The Florida Audio Expo, per my understanding is free to the general public. The rooms at Embassy Suites for both the vendors and guests are sold out however.

Best,
Anand.

Apparently it’s sold out to the public as well due to Fire Marshall limitations.

Best,
Anand.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2020, 02:45 am »
One of the show owners indicated in a post elsewhere "Make sure you register if you’re coming. Although not required, it helps us with a numbers count. So no tickets are necessary."  So I'm not sure how they are going to police that (and that is a reflection of people who have registered and probably not 100% of those who registered will attend) as there are going to be people staying at the hotel who may also have guests (business or personal) come and go (since the hotel was previously a condo, they are suites and perfectly suitable for having a business meeting in the living room) with nothing to do with the show.  They can't very well tell people who have paid for a room they can't come in.  I suggested last year they charge a nominal amount (e.g. $5 or $10) and then have a marketplace where discs and other accessories are sold and give it back as a credit.  I did register for Friday and will likely leave anyway either right before or after lunch on Saturday just to avoid the mess (check out time is noon anyway) as it got bit crowded last year, which was the first year of the show, and I believe they only had about two thirds of the exhibit rooms that they will have this year.  I expect they will move to a bigger hotel next year.  I'm hoping they make it closer to Orlando (although the owners live in the Tampa area) as that will alleviate some of the booking of the rooms for people coming from certain areas of Florida as it will be closer to home (as well as the fact I'd guess Orlando has more available hotel rooms).

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2020, 03:15 am »
Here is the press sheet for the room.

With all due respect (I have met Lou at CAF; very nice man) this kind of thing is why I skipped CAF (my local show) this year and am probably done with shows unless I find a compelling reason to hear a particular exhibitor. I listen to headphones a lot and since CAF seems to have chosen to ignore that market segment almost completely, if I do go back, it won't be for that.

Assuming quantities of four for each of the isolation devices listed (enough to outfit one component), and one for each of the cable types listed, the equipment in Room 408 comes to a cool $216,465, the lion's share going to the VAC integrated.

That's some 'hobby'. If you've got enough to put a kid through Harvard Med to spend on an audio system, go for it, but... that's some 'hobby'.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2020, 03:46 am »
VAC is a local company which accounts for Kevin's gear showing up in more rooms than normal and if he offers to let you use that quality of gear you generally accept.  As to moving it may in fact have to move from that particular location but I seriously doubt that Mike, Bart and John are going to move it out of the Tampa Bay area.  Measured growth is what is needed and not what RMAF tried unsuccessfully tried to do with it's expansion.

Bones13

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:45 am »
Sadly  :D , the wife wanted to go to the beach house this weekend. (condo at Rosemary Beach, FL) I was, previously, thinking of listening to speakers down there this weekend, but no luck.

Have a great show Lou!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2020, 07:04 am »
This may not look look much but oh man it is a world of difference.
2 am and even at low volume the texture depth  and width is mindblowing,,,,,
If anyone is in Tampa this weekend make your way to this room!  (408) listen for a while and the realize that $150K for an amo is justified!!!!!!

RonN5

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:22 pm »
This was the first time I’ve ever heard these speakers...and while the VAC may be a really great amp... to say $150k is justified should not leave you with the impression that the great sound in this room is all the amp....these speakers, the Apollo’s, sounded incredibly musical and deserve a lot of the credit... if you go to the show... don’t miss this room.

Bones13

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:26 pm »
Nice setup!

Jarbs

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2020, 09:15 pm »
Well, it is an integrated amp so you save on the cost of an IC and power cord😊

I wonder how it compares to the IQ200 on the Apollo 11’s used previously.

mhconley

« Reply #18 on: 9 Feb 2020, 02:36 am »
Nice sounding room:

Martin

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm »
That setup looks sweet
How was the show?

I have always found every time I have made a significant upgrade in system - a great speaker will reflect that in spades.

A great speaker that is tonally balanced and resolving will also reflect a great recording but also will be unforgiving to a bad one (brickwalling etc)

So showing what the Apollos will do with the ideal front end is putting them in their best light.

and they will sound great in a more modest system as well.