Which is best platform to mod-Sony 999ES or 9000ES???

Lkdog

Am thinking of possibly trying a Modwright unit.
I see these two units used on Agon in the $450-500 range.
Which is better platform to mod and how far up the Modwright food chain does one need to go to get a reference type unit?
I am a little confused when I look at the pricing options.
The clock uprgade option I have read about is not on the website unless I missed it.

Any major differences in sound between these two?
I am primarily interested in 2 channel audio (CD/SACD) use of the unit.
Don't care about video or multichannel and do not need a volume control.
Definitely want the tube output stage options.

Any help or advice is welcomed. A suggestion as to best bang for the buck would be appreciated also.
Thanks.

Lkdog

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:01 am »
Just read where the 9000ES does not play CD-R's.
That resolves that as I have about 300 CD-R's.    :o

So the question is (assuming the 999ES plays CD-R's as reported)-
How far up the Modwright food chain does one need to go to get a reference level player?

Thanks for sharing any experiences with different level mods on this player.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:26 am »
If you are to upgrade a Sony, get the DVP NS999ES with tube output stage.  I forgot how much it costed me.  Do get the opamp upgrade for the 5ch and the tube upgrade.  The sound of the Tungsol 5687 tubes are lush.  I call it sometimes "ambience extractor".

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:31 am »
The 999se that I had played cdr's fine 'n dandy...

Lkdog

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2006, 02:47 pm »
Thanks for the input.

Any comments on the AC and Slipstream bybee filter add on
and the Revelation Audio umbilical cord upgrade (Plat level versus Basic)?
What is the cost of upgrade from Basic to Platinum if somebody had a Basic unit already? Is it a big sound difference?

Also, how much then is the Clock upgrade from the Platinum level and do folks feel it is worth it if one wanted that later?

Really would not get the MC opamp upgrade. I am a 2 channel guy for audio.
Also have a preamp that I use so would not need the voluje control I read about in the PF review.

Thanks for any input from users.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2006, 03:25 pm »
My 999ES is the highest Platinum level, with all mods and umbilical upgrade (including mch op amps). I had it doen all at once.  So I can't speak for the evolution and changes each mod brings.  I don't have the clock upgrade, though ($350 I think) so any feedback on that is of interest.

The 999ES plays cdr's very nicely.  Our comments on its modded sound are all over Dan's forum here.  Net/net, it's incredible.  The Tung Sols, as Levi stated, are very nice.  Without the clock, the max mods were around $2500 back when I had them, I think.  Dan can quote you...he reads this forum daily, and responds very timely.....when he's not sick!! (Sorry Dan, hear you were quite ill at CES/T.H.E...hope you're feeling better...now get back to work!!! :lol:  )

Ted

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2006, 03:26 pm »
Gordy, I didn't know you have a modwright 999ES?

Pricing Dan can answer accurately.

The full bybee and the umbilical upgrade adds transparency to the 999ES and cost.
Quote from: Lkdog
Thanks for the input.
Any comments on the AC and Slipstream bybee filter add on
and the Revelation Audio umbilical cord upgrade (Plat level versus Basic)?
What is the cost of upgrade from Basic to Platinum if somebody had a Basic unit already? Is it a big sound difference?

If you live close to Dan, you can have the tube upgrade first.  If you think you want more sonic upgrade, you can bring it back for the bybee, clock or the umbilical upgrade.  The umbilical upgrade is a DIY.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2006, 03:37 pm »
A friend of mine just recieved Dan's Platinum 999 and it replaced his full Meitner stack.

He thinks it is almost the equivalant of the Meitner gear and he has yet to mess around with tubes, ic's, pc's, etc... that will allow the Modwright to reach its true potential!

Go Platinum 999 and get it maxed out!

George

Gordy

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:18 pm »
Quote from: Levi
Gordy, I didn't know you have a modwright 999ES?

Pricing...

I had a 999es, Levi, a stock unit.  I was just commenting on its ability to handle cdr's.  Someday I'll have a Modwright tubed  cdp, but I'm still absorbing a 9se purchase  :D

MarkR7

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2006, 05:49 pm »
I've had both modded by Dan, the 999ES modded to the hilt with the clock, and a bon-mod 9000ES, also with the clock.  I kept the 9000es as it easily bettered the 999es.  It presents music in a much more organic, real way.  It is also sturdier and heavier than the 999, and much better shielded.

The 9000es will play CD-Rs, as I have found that Maxell's MusicPro CD-Rs work in it.