Stereo Subwoofers?

Jonathon Janusz

Stereo Subwoofers?
« on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:06 am »
Hi, all!  I stumbled on this circle from GR-Research and was looking at the soon to be released Sensation integrated amps.  My question is, as the web site says these are being built to order, if it is possible (and there is enough real estate somewhere on the back) to have installed a pair of line level subwoofer inputs, without having the output summed L+R?  I've got a pair of GR/Rythmik servo subs and would like to run them stereo if possible as I sometimes play around crossing them high.

Thanks for the advice!

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:50 am »
Nicely asked, i have been thiking about this too. My system is a pair of 2 way actively driven open baffle and after using Stereo woofer, I would not go for summed L+R. My virtue 2 now only supports a summed mono output and I am not using it. But would be nice if Virtue can support this too.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:10 pm »
Yeah, I can see that as been a highly desired feature. Especially with OB dual subwoofers built into the base of the speaker like the GR V series considering how high you can cross those subs.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:27 pm »
There is both a mono pre-output AND stereo pre-outputs on Sensation.  They're all full-range and there is a jumper on the board to cut-off the mains at arond 80hz (1st order).

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2010, 05:54 pm »
Wasn't sure if that was the current version or Sensation 2. You need to update the website Seth that is a pretty nice feature.
There is both a mono pre-output AND stereo pre-outputs on Sensation.  They're all full-range and there is a jumper on the board to cut-off the mains at arond 80hz (1st order).

Welborne

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:56 pm »

This is very nice to hear.This is exactly waht i need as I am using a two way active open baffle and i need to cut off the main fullrange at around 80hz. and bring in the dipole woofer around that frquency...

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2010, 07:37 pm »
And to confirm, the sensation is the currently the only virtue amp that has a stereo out that could be used with dual subs in stereo? Heck, it looks like it's the only one with the real estate on the back to be able to do that...

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2010, 08:13 pm »
That's neat.  :drool:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2010, 06:30 am »
Thanks!  Sorry I'm probably a little late to the party, but is there a thread here on the circle that has all the most up to date info?

Maybe I should start another thread, but right now I'm running a pair of AV123/Onix Strata Minis that are listed as only 86db efficient, and I have found that big watt or big current amps are what this speaker needs to really shine (combination of planar tweet/mid and cone woofer).  Anyone run a Virtue amp with these speakers with any thoughts?

Thanks again!

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2010, 06:54 am »
That is the normal speaker that I run with my Virtue Two. I love the combination.
Thanks!  Sorry I'm probably a little late to the party, but is there a thread here on the circle that has all the most up to date info?

Maybe I should start another thread, but right now I'm running a pair of AV123/Onix Strata Minis that are listed as only 86db efficient, and I have found that big watt or big current amps are what this speaker needs to really shine (combination of planar tweet/mid and cone woofer).  Anyone run a Virtue amp with these speakers with any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Welborne

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2010, 09:14 pm »
Well  I think a creative use of the mono pre-out is to set up a 3 channel stereo with a mono centre speaker to enhance the imaging.

Can anyone correct me on this idea?

PSB Guy

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:52 am »
I know it's an old topic, but I'm thinking of trying two subs with my M901 and I've never done it before, so I wanted to be clear on the particulars of the hook up.

Is the above picture right? If not, how do I go about it? Thanks...

srb

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:09 am »
I know it's an old topic, but I'm thinking of trying two subs with my M901 and I've never done it before, so I wanted to be clear on the particulars of the hook up.

Is the above picture right? If not, how do I go about it? Thanks...

Yes, that's how I would do it.  But sometimes, a sub that has two line inputs may have one of them that is preferred to use if you are not connecting both of them, and is sometimes labeled "mono".  If so use the designated single on each subwoofer, otherwise if neither has a designation, then either one would work.

Steve

dvenardos

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2010, 03:42 am »
and if the sub has a LFE input that would be the mono input normally, even though in this case you are sending it the left or right single and not a summed mono single.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:03 am »
and if the sub has a LFE input that would be the mono input normally, even though in this case you are sending it the left or right single and not a summed mono single.

On most subwoofers, a true LFE input would normally bypass the internal crossover in the subwoofer.  That is the input that normally receives the sub-out from an HT processor where the sub crossover frequency is set in the HT processor.

Because the stereo pre-outs of the Sensation are full-range, you will want the line inputs of the subwoofer (if differentiated from an LFE input) to utilize the crossover and controls on the subwoofer.

Additionally, you may want to use the 80Hz high-pass filter of the Sensation which would only send frequencies 80Hz and above to your main speakers to relieve the load on the mains.  This is set with an internal jumper on the Sensation.  This will affect the crossover frequency that you set on the subwoofer.  If you use the 80Hz high-pass filter on your mains, the sub crossover frequency will probably be around 80Hz.  If you run your mains full range, and they go down to say 50Hz, that might be the sub crossover setting.

Crossovers are not brick wall filters and have slopes to them, so there could be a little overlap and doubling of some bass frequencies, or conversely there could be a void where some bass frequencies are reduced.  Without taking room measurements you won't know for sure, so a little trial and error and your ears should help you find a good setting and integration.

Steve
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2010, 06:32 am by srb »

PSB Guy

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:07 pm »
Thanks for the help, guys. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to try the two subs yet or just save up for a bit and go with a single set of larger speakers. The project for today is to see if a can properly integrate the single sub I have right now. Ideally, I would have liked to place it between the mains in front of me or failing that, behind/beside my listening position, but I'm really short on space. So the sub is to the left of the mains, in front of my listening position. The problem is that I can localize the sub, so it's like the bass player is always stage left. It's disconcerting. Today I'll play with settings on the sub to see if I can fix it that way. FWIW, here's whats in the system presently:

Sensation M901 amp
PSB Image B5 mains
Elemental Designs A3S-250 sub

If I were to use two subs, I'd use two smaller ones, the PSB Subseries 1. It's a good 8" sub, nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done well in smaller rooms.

PSB Guy

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2010, 01:32 pm »
Problem solved. I just turned down to volume on the sub from half-way to quarter-way and presto, the bass blended with the mains, with no real loss in volume. I was pretty sure that I had the cross-over set properly, I know the specs on the mains, and changing the phase setting had no effect at all, so that left the volume. I'm still going to save up for floor-standers, it would be nice to not have a sub at all. Thanks for letting me bounce ideas, that's why these forums are so great  :thumb:.