A/V receivers under $2K with 2ch audio priority

navin

Re: A/V receivers under $2K with 2ch audio priority
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2012, 08:26 am »
As far as I can tell no Marantz has Audyssey XT32, but the SR/AV7005 do have MultEQ Pro which allow an installation professional to take more measurements, among other things.  The resolution is still XT and not XT32, but if you have a trained / experienced Audyssey technician in your area and have a tricky room, it may be worth it.  Where I live I know at least one dealer that will come out to your house & do this for USD150.

I dont know if the SR7005 (now replaced with the 7007) compares to the AV7005. I assumed the AV7005 would be a far better device as there is no power amp in the AV.
http://www.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/UK/SR7007_EN+SP_S.pdf

BTW I found out today that even the Onkyo 818 will not serve my needs. It might have XT32 but it does not have Sub EQ HT. I would have to get at least the TX-NR1010 from Onkyo to have SUB EQ HT.

In my install the front subwoofer is very different from the rear subwoofer. The front subwoofer is a TC Sounds 15" (LMS-R I think) in a 3 cu. ft. sealed box while the rear is a SEAS L26ROY in a 1 cu. f.t sealed box. being able to control time alignment and EQ to both subwoofers independantly would enable more efficient use of the subwoofers. SUB EQ HT allows that. The AVRs have have Sub EQ HT are a few Denons (4311 and 4520) and a bunch of high end Onkyo/Integra (3008/3009 and 70.2/70.3 etc).
http://www.audyssey.com/products?&tid[0]=100&&pid=All&ptype=5

Yamaha's Aventage 2020 and 3020 (maybe the 1020 as well) can also control level and EQ (not sure about time alignment) of 2 subwoofers independantly using YPAO.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2012, 09:45 am by navin »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2012, 09:37 pm »
Aside from the 2K & 4K video support, I think there's precious little difference between the SR7007 & SR7005.  As for AV7005 vs SR7005, I also thinks there's little difference.  Yes, not having the amp section may make things a bit cleaner.  But as the prices between AV & SR7005 are very close ($1000 - $1100), the SR7005 w/ the amp section is probably the better buy.

The AV7005 & SR7005 have dual sub out, but they both play out the same signal.  Presumably Audyssey, even XT, know how to deal w/ the level / eq coming out of both.  Don't really know - but SubEQ HT is not a specific feature.  No of course XT32

Sound like you have very specific requirements - i.e. both XT32 & SubEQ HT. No doubt you've already consulted http://www.audyssey.com/products & found that this is mostly limited to Onkyo / Integra + some Denon. 

I think at this point you just have to choose which meets your price point and has the support you need / want in your home country. Or if you buy in the US, many get their receivers + processors from accessories4less as they are factory authorized & often have "refurbs" at substantial discount.  Previously they had the Denon 4311 around $1300 & currently have the Onkyo 1010 @ $1250. 

I personally wouldn't spend more than USD1300 on a receiver / processor as their shelf life is low & depreciation high after 1-2 years. Whatever you spend above that you are likely to loose within the first 6-12 months if you attempt to resale.

navin

« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2012, 04:37 am »
Sound like you have very specific requirements - i.e. both XT32 & SubEQ HT. No doubt you've already consulted http://www.audyssey.com/products & found that this is mostly limited to Onkyo / Integra + some Denon. 

I think at this point you just have to choose which meets your price point and has the support you need / want in your home country. Or if you buy in the US, many get their receivers + processors from accessories4less as they are factory authorized & often have "refurbs" at substantial discount.  Previously they had the Denon 4311 around $1300 & currently have the Onkyo 1010 @ $1250. 

I personally wouldn't spend more than USD1300 on a receiver / processor as their shelf life is low & depreciation high after 1-2 years. Whatever you spend above that you are likely to loose within the first 6-12 months if you attempt to resale.

I absolutely agree with your line of thinking. AVR prices fall fastest among all audio equipment. The Onkyo 1010 sells for $2000 here and the 4311 is not available.

I am not married to XT32 or Sub EQ HT or Audessey. The same features in either YPAO or any other system would also do. Yes I have a room that is difficult and having something like XT32 may correct for some of the reflections ( for example the right front tower speaker has no side wall near it while the left front speaker will be less than 2 ft from a side wall). In addition to this the front subwoofer is  a large 15" while the rear subwoofer is a compact 10". If the same signal is sent to both either the 10" sub will over load or the 15" sub will be under utilised.

I have heard good things about Marantz. I have owned various Marantz equipment in the past including a CD 63KI and a SR7000. My dad used to own Marantz tube amplifiers for his AR speakers in the early to mid 70s. In any case if I decided to get a Marantz I would have to get the 7007 which retails for about $1500 here ,(so does the Denon 3313 and Onkyo 818).

Thank you for your time and advice. It is much appreciated.

sahihe

« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:48 am »
I went through a similar buying decision a year ago - wasn't quite sure how much I'll be getting into pure 2 channel. So I ended up going with Denon 4311. Initially I was driving my  ML speakers with it but then changed to a Sunfire Signature 5 channel amp. Having a receiver provided flexibility in amplification choices, so when I wanted to further improve the two channel system, I upgraded to the CJ 350 two channel amp and moved the center and rears to the receiver.  I am now using Dodd preamp with an HT bypass to integrate my 2 channel and HT systems.

If going with a prepro,  check out EMC-1 from Emotiva. It's going to be released sometime soon and the specs and features are impressive. It has a bunch of features focused on 2 ch. Of course, it isn't out yet, so no one knows how good it will sound. Hopefully it won't be a long wait.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

Cheers.

navin

« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:20 am »
I went through a similar buying decision a year ago - wasn't quite sure how much I'll be getting into pure 2 channel. So I ended up going with Denon 4311. Initially I was driving my  ML speakers with it but then changed to a Sunfire Signature 5 channel amp. Having a receiver provided flexibility in amplification choices, so when I wanted to further improve the two channel system, I upgraded to the CJ 350 two channel amp and moved the center and rears to the receiver.  I am now using Dodd preamp with an HT bypass to integrate my 2 channel and HT systems.

If going with a prepro,  check out EMC-1 from Emotiva. It's going to be released sometime soon and the specs and features are impressive. It has a bunch of features focused on 2 ch. Of course, it isn't out yet, so no one knows how good it will sound. Hopefully it won't be a long wait.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

Cheers.

Actually the way my system will be setup is that in 2 ch mode the CD player will drive the front tower speakers and 15" front subwoofer via a Yamaha S2000 integrated amplifier. The subwoofer has a plate amp and the Yamaha has subwoofer output. The AVR will not be operational.

When watching TV, movies or for games the Source will go via the AVR and the Yamaha S2000 will be used like a power amplifier for the front 2 speakers.

The logic behind this setup is 2 fold,

A. Most common AVRs (I include the 4311, Yamaha A2020 and Onkyo 1010 among these) do not have the power supply that can really drive 7 channels full range. By moving much of the bass to plate and integrated amplifiers I reduce the demand on the AVRs limited power supply. The AVR the has to only drive 4 small rear/effects speakers and the centre speaker.

B. in 2 ch mode I get a simple and short signal path.

The trouble one can have is that the power amplifier driving the centre and 2 front speakers is NOT the same. I hope Mult EQ 32 or YPAO can compensate for this.

Given that I already have the Yamaha S2000 I don't have room for a pre pro combination. I need to stick to a single box solution for the AVR. Thanks.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2012, 02:48 am »
I am not married to XT32 or Sub EQ HT or Audessey........If the same signal is sent to both either the 10" sub will over load or the 15" sub will be under utilised.

I have heard good things about Marantz.......In any case if I decided to get a Marantz I would have to get the 7007 which retails for about $1500 here

I think forgoing the XT32 & Sub EQ opens up a lot more options.  Don't know why these aren't more widespread or absent from Marantz / Denon etc.  Maybe licensing fees are too high.

As the AV/SR 7005 & SR 7007 have dual sub out, I'm thinking that the Audysessy XT knows how to implement both properly.  I.e. I don't think the designers assumed that someone would always be running the same capacity / model / etc subwoofer.  And if one is getting taxed too heavily, you can always adjust the level down a bit manually at the subwoofer plate amp level.......and vice versa manually turn it up for the more powerful sub.  Sometimes doing things by ear / manually is still the best way.

I've not yet heard of anyone being unhappy w/ their Marantz equipment, whether receiver / processor / or other.  The SR7007 I think would be a good & safe choice. 

Best of luck to you.

navin

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2012, 06:43 am »
I think forgoing the XT32 & Sub EQ opens up a lot more options.  Don't know why these aren't more widespread or absent from Marantz / Denon etc.  Maybe licensing fees are too high.

I've not yet heard of anyone being unhappy w/ their Marantz equipment, whether receiver / processor / or other.  The SR7007 I think would be a good & safe choice. 

I will compare the 7007 with the Onkyo 1010 if I can. I know the pricing is not the same but I'd like to know what the difference between Mult EQ XT and Mult EQ XT32+Sub EQ HT are.