WTB: Small amount of quality solder to replace a fried woofer with a new woofer

IronLion

Hey all,

Never posted in this circle before and it's been a long while since I've posted here on AC, but I'm hoping to get some help and guidance here. Here's a quick recap of my audio journey, which has led me back to AC today: in 2008, after a lot of experimentation with many different speakers and amps,  I purchased a pair of SP Technology Timepiece Minis, which were powered by a Spectron Musician III MK2 SE amplifier. Since 2008, I've been enjoying this combo and had officially gotten off the revolving door of GAS.

For the past 5 years or so, my Spectron amplifier developed what is unfortunately a common issue where one of the channels barely produces any audio. Well, over the weekend, this resulted in a sad (and loud) situation where it took out the woofer on one of my Timepiece Minis.

I have a replacement SEAS driver on the way, but I don't have any good solder to use to connect the new woofer to the woofer wires coming out of the crossover.

Would anybody here that does their own DIY speaker work be willing to sell me a small amount of high quality solder that would work well for this application? I would think that a few inches would be plenty. All that I have right now for solder is stuff that I've used for LED light strips, and I don't want to use anything that a good speaker maker wouldn't use for this application. I'd also prefer not to spend $40+ on a roll of high quality silver solder that I'll only use once!

For context, here's some photos of the speaker and SEAS driver: https://imgur.com/a/UhxoEVM

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Avoid all Rohs Euro compliant solders, they all lack lead and will broke your audio equip sooner or later, they all advertise lead free as if it were an advantage.
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/home/article/16708161/leadfree-solder-a-train-wreck-in-the-making

If you want audiophile solder there is Silver solders at a price:
https://www.partsconnexion.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*20b7b4534d0a875b77f1157d6bb78322a865&search_field=solder

Even cheap regular Sn 63, Pb 37 solder are better than Rohs compliant solders. Also avoid 60/40 solder (not eutectic).
Dont walk, run from Rohs lead free solders.

JCarney

GAS, as in Gateway Audio Society? Just curious. Private message me your name and address and I'll send you 6 or 7 feet of Cardas solder for your repair. No charge, one whacko can help another. :lol:

JCarney

Doublej

What type of wire is used on the woofer? It appears to be basic zip cord.

IronLion

What type of wire is used on the woofer? It appears to be basic zip cord.

The cable says "JSC Wire & Cable Pro Sound Speaker Wire #2210 16AWG.

Doesn't look like anything too fancy.

IronLion

GAS, as in Gateway Audio Society? Just curious. Private message me your name and address and I'll send you 6 or 7 feet of Cardas solder for your repair. No charge, one whacko can help another. :lol:

JCarney

Sorry I should have specified, GAS as in Gear Acquisition Syndrome, the habit of perpetually buying new gear, becoming unsatisfied with it, and trying new gear over ad nauseam.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Sorry I should have specified, GAS as in Gear Acquisition Syndrome, the habit of perpetually buying new gear, becoming unsatisfied with it, and trying new gear over ad nauseam.
= audiophile  :thumb:

ric

you can get small solder amounts on ebay, I think Cardas solder, not from China.

IronLion

you can get small solder amounts on ebay, I think Cardas solder, not from China.

Ah great to know, thanks!