SAS Audio Labs introduces the 1.5 Speaker

Steve

SAS Audio Labs introduces the 1.5 Speaker
« on: 7 May 2013, 11:35 pm »
SAS Audio Labs would like to introduce the two way, 1.5 speaker.

The 1.5 works on the principle of one low frequency crossover in the upper bass region, thus eliminating the crossover(s) from the upper bass through the highest octave. The 1.5 is, in essence, a full range driver with flat response to 20khz with a carefully matched carbon fiber woofer for seemless audio reproduction. Utilizing two cabinets offers these advantages.

1) Dynamics are increased since the number of crossovers and parts count is minimal.

2) Superior musical integrity, conherency, due to common driver over the entire midrange/highs.

3) Dual cabinets allow for optimal floor placement in a given room.

4) Individual crossovers in each cabinet allows for bi-wiring or bi-amping.

The result is a totally seemless, transparent, dynamic, natural sound.
Available in gloss black piano, cherry, or maple. Please allow two weeks as we build per order.

Introductory Price is: $1895.00/pr. Plus Shipping (Normally $2995.00)

Total Weight: Approximately 130lbs

Woofer Speaker: $1050/each plus shipping

Full Range Speaker (130hz xover pt.): $500.00/pr introductory price plus shipping: (Normally $800.00/pr plus shipping)

For more information the webite is:
http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/vspeak.htm

Please feel free to contact me or post questions.

Sincerely,

Steve Sammet
SAS Audio Labs
http://www.sasaudiolabs.com
sasaudio@omnilec.com
(309) 263-0736

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2013, 12:04 am by Steve »

jackman

Re: SAS Audio Labs introduces the 1.5 Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2013, 02:59 pm »
Steve, when you told me you were coming out with a speaker, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Your preamps and amps are my favorites, but speakers are a different matter.  Having heard your speakers in my system, I can honestly say that your skills extend beyond amps and preamps.  The speakers sounded very musical (with tubes and SS amplification) and I really enjoyed listening to them. 

Your speakers disappeared in my room and produced a sound that I could enjoy for hours.  Vocals and imaging were also standouts and they sounded great on all types of music.  Bass was also surprisingly good for such compact monitors.  Congratulations on the new design, I hope people get a chance to hear these soon!

J

Steve

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2013, 10:49 pm »
Steve, when you told me you were coming out with a speaker, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Your preamps and amps are my favorites, but speakers are a different matter.  Having heard your speakers in my system, I can honestly say that your skills extend beyond amps and preamps.  The speakers sounded very musical (with tubes and SS amplification) and I really enjoyed listening to them. 

Your speakers disappeared in my room and produced a sound that I could enjoy for hours.  Vocals and imaging were also standouts and they sounded great on all types of music.  Bass was also surprisingly good for such compact monitors.  Congratulations on the new design, I hope people get a chance to hear these soon!

J

Hi Jack,

Thanks. And the woofer damping is somewhat adjustable with just a knob. The 1.5 is extremely versatile for different rooms.

I think one of the real positives is applying a very low frequency crossover instead of using the typical midrange crossover between 700-4khz; right where the ear is most sensitive to parts and mating drivers.

A low frequency crossover allows the full range driver to cover all the midband through highs (approx a true point source) without compromises; thus improving cohesiveness, improving dynamics, transparency, tonal balance, which was quite evident to you from your comments.
Yes, both tube or SS works very nicely.

Cheers.

Steve Sammet
SAS Audio Labs
sasaudio@omnilec.com
« Last Edit: 11 May 2013, 08:42 pm by Steve »

Steve

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 06:50 pm »
I just posted the raw FR and Impedance graph for the full range driver. After I first auditioned the
drivers, I checked the FR and noticed a couple of positives, which pans out to more natural.

1) There is not a large pronounced resonance between 5-8khz, which has always been a problem with
mid/higher reproduction drivers. As such the full range driver requires no extra circuitry, and thus more
natural reproduction. Impedance correction also tends to minimize any peaks.

2) Notice at the highest frequencies, a little rise. However, this is off set by the grill material. Thus
one obtains quite linear reproduction even at the higher frequencies. And if one does not wish the grill,
being magnetically attached, it removes very easily.

Sincerely,

Steve Sammet
« Last Edit: 31 May 2013, 04:14 pm by Steve »

Steve

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2013, 12:00 am »
Bump. Check special introductory price in first post.

Cheers.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2013, 05:15 pm »
Hi Steve,

Were you ever able to do the demo/get-together?  I think it would be good for people to hear these speakers.  I was very impressed, especially when they were paired with your amp and preamp.  Good luck to you!  I hope you are feeling better as well.

Cheers,

Jack

Steve

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2013, 08:41 pm »
Hi Steve,

Were you ever able to do the demo/get-together?  I think it would be good for people to hear these speakers.  I was very impressed, especially when they were paired with your amp and preamp.  Good luck to you!  I hope you are feeling better as well.

Cheers,

Jack

Unfortunately, Jack, I was not able to attend due to a severe cold. Doc had been giving steroids to us sick ones in Morton, but I am well now. I am hoping to set up a venue, RMAF or something. One can always call and drop by for an audition in the meantime. 

My large test speakers are doing wonderful, as well. See what happens.

Cheers.

Steve