Super 3R's have arrived!

Brad

Super 3R's have arrived!
« on: 16 Feb 2004, 08:20 pm »
I think this is one of the first pair in the new walnut finish. :D
I'll drag the digicam home to take some pics tonight.

I had really been pretty happy with the sound of the TS-3's.
I was not expecting the Super 3's to be such a big step up, sonically. :o

Even before break-in (they have maybe 20 hours on them now), they are much richer in sound.  They also sound 'faster' to my ears.   Guitar sounds more natural.   8)

I got the matching Skylan stands for them (thanks Mr. Casler) and the combination looks and sounds terrific.   A true steal for the price :!: .

Followup after break-in....

John Casler

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2004, 09:54 pm »
Congratulations!!

Glad you like the stands.  I put my 626Rs on some and they are great.  They "do" need sand added to sound their best.

Looking forward to the pics :D

myoung

Super 3Rs
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2004, 10:24 pm »
Congratulations on the new speakers. I'm using the standard Super 3s and admit having had some worries about moving from conventional multi-driver speakers and horns to these little boxes. But since the moment I hooked 'em up, they've far exceeded my expectations. And you're right -- they're fast, fast, fast!

A buddy, who favors big Maggies, heard the Omegas for the first time a couple of months ago. To give him a sense of what they can do, I put on a UK 12-inch 45 rpm pressing of AC/DCs "Thunderstruck" and cranked up the volume. He sat through the whole song unspeaking. When it ended, he said, "How much did you say you paid for these?" When I told him, he said, "Man, those are a steal!" He's right.

Enjoy,
Mike

moltosolo

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2004, 07:22 am »
Congratulations and welcome to the Super 3R user family  :lol:
The super 3R is just full of surprises, it sounds so good with my microZOTL and even my old Marantz 2220B receiver.
How's the VMPS small with the Super 3R? Is it fast enough? I am also looking for a new subwoofer. I am also interests in the VBT ones.
Enjoy the music :D

Mike82

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2004, 12:08 pm »
Molto:

I used to sell the VBT (now called Thorough Bass) subs when I had my part-time shop.  They are the quickest subs I've heard and should work quite well with the Super 3.  I still have a couple VBTs.   My Super 3R (w/alnico Fostex 120A) should be in any day and I'll be sure to experiment with the VBT. Needless to say, I'll post my impressions. I told my local dealer, Earthshaking Music, to get up to listen to the VBTs.

I've known the VBT designer, Jan Plummer for several years (he lives about 15 minutes away). I first met him when I reviewed a speaker he designed (APL Serenade-  SoundStage! Archives).

I never was a fan of subs because in my experience, they did not integrate well with a most speakers.  When Jan called me about listening to his new VBT and the attributes of the sub, I kinda thought, "uh-huh".

Jan bought one over which I hooked up with the JM Reynaud Twin MkII. Once we had it tuned in, it sounded like there was no sub.  What I mean is that it integrated so well thet you could not detect there was a sub in the system--- it was utterly seamless. It also worked quite well with the single driver LothX which I also sold.

Given the diminutive size, it won't do Jurassic Park or the Gladiator soundtrack at 120 dB. But it will do music which is what it was designed to do.

Jim W.

No speakers here...
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2004, 03:44 pm »
I'm still waiting for my Super 3BPCs and Grande 6Rs (will audition both and choose between the two).  Been over a month now  :cry: .  I forgot what they sound like.  Patience, patience, patience...

eardrumstick

• Vivid Audio website
Patience Jim......
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2004, 06:39 pm »
HI Jim,
Grande 6s are instock (beautiful looking in Maple)- stands from Skylan in several sizes, the Super 3BPC R and.... the Thorough Bass VIP should be here shortly. I've been listening to the Grande 6s as they break in and you won't be dissappointed.
By the way, the VIP sub really is good. I was skeptical that any sub could integrate with the speakers we carry but it took about 2 minutes to convice me. The Super 3s in stock went from being great speakers to Stunning speakers with the subs.
Cheers!
Dave

Brad

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2004, 07:53 pm »
The VMPS smaller is a good match for the Super 3's.
It's plenty fast and very tuneful.  I'm currently driving it with a 100 watt Audio Source mono amp, but I just got a Samson F800 off of eb*y for a decent price.

Sizewize, the VBT will fit a lot more rooms than the VMPS (even the smaller ain't really small :wink: )

The Skylans are a perfect fit for the Super 3's - can't recommend them highly enough.   Very easy to assemble and very sturdy. 8)

Watched a couple of movies last night with the Super 3's in place and one of the TS-3's serving center channel duty - quite nice...
I'll give LOTR a try over the weekend.

For The Luv Of Music

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2004, 01:44 am »
Quote from: moltosolo
Congratulations and welcome to the Super 3R user family  :lol:
The super 3R is just full of surprises, it sounds so good with my microZOTL and even my old Marantz 2220B receiver.
How's the VMPS small with the Super 3R? Is it fast enough? I am also looking for a new subwoofer. I am also interests in the VBT ones.
Enjoy the music :D

Looks like this speaker may be a keeper.Does the berning microZOTL really push this speaker well?---And how is the sound---detailed mid's?
I was thinking of purchasing the little micro berning amp.

thx

moltosolo

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2004, 03:57 am »
The microZOTL is excellent.
It's very fast, and detailed. I think it got the best of both Tubes and SS.
The 0.75W is well enough to push Super 3R in my small apartment(~15x25x10).

rosypup

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2004, 09:43 am »
Hi Brad, I have the super 3's on my desktop. These are keepers for sure.

They are phenomenal for hearing and getting everything out of the music without the craziness of the lowthers and the lowther shout.

Louis O

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2004, 02:18 pm »
Many Many thanks for all the great words about the Super 3s.

Upon first listen when I made the prototypes (wide baffle version), these were the first pair of speakers that really shocked me and were far better than I anticipated. I was very impressed how the same driver as the TS3 sounded this much better in the wide baffle, and larger enclosure.

I really like this little driver and it sounds great in the BPC and the new TS33.

Thanks again,
Louis

heartsandarmor

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2004, 04:35 pm »
Louis,

Thank you for response. I genuinely appreciate your comments and am glad to receive yet more validation of my choice of the Decware.  I posted this same message on my original topic of "best match" but thought this might provide a better venue.  Upon visiting your web site as I frequently do, I saw a brief reference to your new TS33 model. I further saw the briefest of comments here but wondered when more information may be available. As mentioned, I have definately decided on purchasing the Zen amp and it would appear that your new model is designed to be a perfect match. I can only guess that given the Zens popularity, you can justify such a custom design. Can you elaborate on why you have designed it as you have? I do not profess to be as knowledgeable as are most of the members here but would like to educate mytself further so that I might understand and appreciate its construction. Thank you again and keep up the stellar work.

Kind regards,

David

jackman

Super 3R's have arrived!
« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2004, 05:07 pm »
Decware/Omega is an awesome combination.  I have NO idea how Louis is able to offer that kind of performance and build quality (in the US!) for such little money.  I used to think single driver speakers lacked bass and highs, however I was dead wrong.  Omega speakers and SET amps are pure magic.  As soon as I can round up the $$$, I'm getting a pair of Super 3's and a good SET amp.  I'm a huge midrange fan and the Omegas do midrange extremely well.

J