The Beginning and The End! New Alan Eaton 45 SET Amp in progress for 3 HO's!

AvsFan

Well I finally settled on an amp for my new Omega Super 3 HO's. The Alan Eaton 45 SET amp. I am VERY much looking forward to the combo. Thank you to Jan-Michael for the suggestion and answering all my questions. I am sure this will be the final frontier for my two channel music system. I am just going to do it right the first time and not think about it. But Alan is in the process of building it now and I will post pictures of the progress. My Omega's will be in next Wed! Initial picture.

« Last Edit: 12 May 2020, 03:29 pm by AvsFan »

AvsFan

Here is what the final product will look like. I think it will be both audibly and visually stunning! What do you guys think?

AvsFan

Here is a link to the information about the Eaton 45. Some nice reading!

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/alan-eaton-se45.html

Kray

Looking good!

jmolsberg

Very exciting! That vintage iron and 45 tube makes for mighty musical amp. The purple red combo looks sharp!

roscoe65

Give them LOTS of time to break in.  The amp will already be largely run in but will settle in after being used daily for a couple of weeks.  The speakers are another story.  They will need at least 100 hours before they become fun to listen to.  If I were in your position - and I have been - I would try an accelerated break in for the speakers.  The 45 SET will not be able to do this for you.  I would place the speakers face to face connected to an amp that can play fairly loudly (80-90dB) for long periods of time.  Throw a few blankets over the speakers and put some bass-heavy music on repeat every day when you go to work.  Do this for two or three weeks and you’re well into the break in.  Another trick is to hook them up to your HT or TV to run in when listening to the news or mindless TV.

jmolsberg

Luckily my speakers were well broken-in when I received the amp. When I first put the the omegas in service it was pretty unpleasant at times. Sure there were some wonderful you are there moments but it took them a solid month to start showing themselves. And continued to improve long after. As Roscoe mentioned, the amp will certainly need plenty of time too. At three weeks any bit of grain was gone and the highs became sublime. I suggest ordering toobs sooner than later, Brent Jesse or Vintage tube services. Run the amp direct from the source for a while to really get to know the sound. Then tinker away Jeff!

thetakeout

I can't agree w/ JM more.  I would have the new tubes on hand before the amp arrives. 

I got my 45's from vintage tube services also.  I got the new rectifiers and input tubes from ebay.  It would be easier to just get all from vts, but I happy with how my tubes worked out. I went with some NOS 5692 (sylvania/rca I think) and holy crap are they fantastic.  They were far better than the 6SN7's (sylvania I think) that I was able to audition. 

I am betting the 45's sound better with the Omega's than with my Zu's.  The Omega's will be easier to drive. 

I'm exicted for your journey!

JTF

Here is what the final product will look like. I think it will be both audibly and visually stunning! What do you guys think?

Hey! That's my amp!  :icon_lol:

jmolsberg

^ that amp is groovy. Which speakers are you using JTF?

JTF

^ that amp is groovy. Which speakers are you using JTF?

Yeah, can't wait, I pick it up Monday. I have Zu Omens and PBN monitors at the moment, and a pair of Spatial X5s on order. I'm not expecting this amp to pair well with the PBNs, and I'll only have a short time with the Zu's as I've got those listed for sale. So, if it doesn't play nice with the X5s I'll have to pick up something else.

I'm thinking about getting a black box adapter from ampsandsound, so I can use my headphones with it as well. Does anyone have any experience with that or something similar?

J

Brad

Fun stuff!   I went with the Emission Labs 45 solid-plates for my Korneff.   They made a noticeable difference in high end, low end and even output compared to the admittedly very tired 45 tubes that came with the amp.

Love the colors you chose.

jmolsberg

Those spatials look great. I am not sure which ones I heard at a show but they did sound wonderful. Hopefully the little SET can get them to sing for ya. You picking it up from Alan?

Brad - neat on those EL 45’s. Do they change the sonic signature of the amp or still sounds like a 45 amp? Dang they are expensive  :duh:

Brad

Still sounds like a 45.   They are light years better than the worn out pair I had, made it sound like a new amp.
I haven't heard the EML mesh plates.  And I saw where Emission has a new version called the 45B, that can make more power if the amp is configured for it.

My 2 wpc are plenty.

Looking forward to your impressions when the full system is in place.

JTF

I may JM, I'm only an hour away from him.

AvsFan

Did you just get that amp? Alan said that was the first time he did that color.

JTF

I requested that red and the style of knobs used. I'll have it early this coming week, he just finished it up on Wednesday. I'm either going to drive up to his place to pick it up or he's mailing it out Monday.

AvsFan

I requested that red and the style of knobs used. I'll have it early this coming week, he just finished it up on Wednesday. I'm either going to drive up to his place to pick it up or he's mailing it out Monday.

Well that color is spectacular! I saw that and have to have it. I didn't think it was sold yet but I guess so! Nice buy! I have a feeling these amps are very special and once he stops making them, will be in high demand and the few of us lucky to own one will be happy campers. I don't know how long he has been building this specific amp, but he won't do it forever and I am sure prices will start to go up on them. He should be charging a lot more than he does.

I do wish he had a purple, that matched my speakers but the red will make for a very eye popping and colorful system. I think he will be painting mine this weekend. Here is my update. Chassis sanded.

AvsFan

Looking good!

You're just down the road Kray. We will have to get together at some point and listen to each others systems. I still have my ZU's and once I have everything for the Omega system, will be moving my Magnepan system downstairs to the living room. It will be fun having 3 drastically different systems. And the thing is, well at least, so far, none of them are "better" than the others, just different. 

AvsFan

Did you get it yet?