Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...

Kray

Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...
« on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:51 am »
Hi All,

I recently just bought a pair of used CAM’s after doing some research, with a plan of probably upgrading to SAM’s if I enjoy them. Only other pair of FR speakers I owned was the Zu Omen DW MKII’s with clarity cap upgrade. I really enjoyed them, but got a killer deal on a pair of Harbeth C7ES3’s which are very different but I enjoy them.

My reasoning for searching out the Omega’s was I went on a amp merry go round with my Harbeth’s. I’ve always loved tubes but tried 3 different SS amps (Audiolab 8300a, Belles Aria, and LFD MKIV) and ended up with a Line Magnetic 518ia 845 SET amp and LOVE it. The LM works well with my Harbeths in my 12x13 room in near field, C7’s way out into room. So now I want to try and own more lower wattage SET amps which leads me to wanting some more efficient speakers.

Has anyone who owns CAM/SAM’s had or compared them to C7ES3’s? I know they are very different, but would like to hear your opinion. Also C7’s are rated at 45hz on low end and I find they put out enough bass for me to not want a sub. CAM’s are rated lower so hoping they sound as full.

Looking forward to learning and sharing on my Omega journey here.  :thumb:

Kray

Re: Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2020, 06:51 pm »
Normally I would search the forum for more details but being a new member it’s not allowed.

Appreciate any feedback

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2020, 02:32 pm »
A few random notes for you.  I've never had C7ES3's but did own some P3ESR's while I owned my Omegas.  As you surmised, the Harbeth sound is very different than that of Omega.  Harbeth's are warm and smooth speakers and can even have a tendency to make everything sound better than it is.  I found that over time, this grated on me because they sort of had a homogenizing effect.  Everything sounded very good, nothing sounded bad, but nothing sounded as spectacular as I thought it could either.

Omegas can be at the opposite end of the spectrum and be ruthlessly revealing.  All of the sudden, a recording you may have enjoyed with the Harbeths, you won't with the Omegas.  The Omegas however will really reward you when you play a good recording with fast transients, great microdynamics and a cohesiveness that can be unsettling at times.

Most speakers today have a bass hump around the 60 to as high as 200 hz range.  We've all become accustomed to it and truthfully, many people like it.  The Omegas don't and how you react to this will really ultimately determine if you like them or not.  What many people think they are hearing as low bass really isn't, it's part of that hump.  With Omegas, there is no added fullness or bass and at first things may sound "light" to you.  You either will get used to it or not.  When I had my Harbeths, I always found it difficult to go back to them after listening to the Omegas.  It took a few listening sessions to get re-accustomed to their sound.  Switching back to the Omegas was like going back to an old comfortable friend and I'd adjust very quickly.

As far as ultimate low bass, my guess is that the Harbeths will certainly sound and go lower than the CAM's/SAM's.

I do have a pair of the Zu DW's and I would say that they hit somewhere in between the sound of the Harbeths and the Omegas.

Good luck with your journey.

jmolsberg

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:43 pm »
When I first heard Omegas (my buddies), I felt they sounded lean. Once I grew more accustomed to them, their sound haunted me. Enough so to send my lovely Nola speakers packing. And the bass is fast, articulate, and wonderful! I’ve auditioned the Harbeth in my house and completely get the appeal, they are a nice sounding speakers. Not nearly as musical as Louis’ - I think you’re  in for a real treat with the CAMs and that SET! 

Kray

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2020, 09:31 pm »
@seikosha @jmolsberg thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

To get the most out of the low end on the CAMs do you feel they do better out in the room or closer to rear wall? I will play around as well.

Also Is the lower reach of the Super Alnico High Output Monitor quite noticeable vs CAM?

My end goal was if I like the CAM to upgrade to the SAM or Super Alnico High Output Monitor

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2020, 12:55 am »
I had to add a sub to my CAMs to be truly happy with them.

With the sub in the mix, I'm not sure I'd switch them to SAMs (plus the CAMs barely fit where they are as-is, so something deeper would be a mess).

Without the sub (Louis'), I'd likely have moved on by now. The sub was a great investment.

Doody

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:14 am »

So you just keep on buying and selling? Must only have one system, one room or a wife. Lol. I LOVE my MKll DW's!!!!! Got the clarity cap upgrade too. Well worth it. They are NEVER going anywhere. I finally found a speaker that I am 100% happy and keeping for the rest of my life. Seriously. And I have owned a lot of speakers, especially over the past 6 years. But I also get the luxury of multiple systems that I get to enjoy and I made sure they are all very different and offer something the other obes don't offer in a different, not better but different way. Okay, who am I kidding, I have some Magnepan LRS's that are as transparent and real as I have ever heard. I love the Maggie sound. My first pair. And now that brings me back to Omega, for the second time. And in specific the Omega's with the RS5 driver. I had a pair a few years back with the 8 inch sub built in and man oh man did I love them so! I regret ever selling them. And they sounded beautiful with my 2 watt per channel Decware tube amp. I am having Louis build me a set of monitor dual RS5 driver speakers that will also be way different than the ZU's and the Maggie's. 

Omega's are very special. You're in for a treat! Hints the reason I am in for my second pair.   

Kray

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2020, 11:57 pm »
@avsfan

Lol. Yes one system only :(
Dedicated room and wife no kids :D

I’m liking the CAM’s so much that I’ll be following thru on my original thought and going with a pair of Super 6 Alnico XRS floorstanders, bottom ported.

I love the fast lively sound these omegas put out while having great imaging and just a beautiful sound overall. The Harbeths are great in their own right, but after listening to the CAM’s the C7’s come across as a little slow lushy sounding best with jazz/acoustic/vocals. The Omega’s can do that plus Daft punk in my testing.

I’m also itching to try more low wattage tubes amps like some 300b monoblocks, or a 2A3
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2020, 05:00 pm by Kray »

Sandals123

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2020, 04:50 am »
I have recently move to the flea watt power with a Triode Labs SET 2A3 with a whooping 3 watts of pure love. I am currently using it with a pair of 3i Monitors and the sound is so seductive. Good luck with your journey!

jmolsberg

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2020, 02:10 pm »
the 2A3 and 45 tube sets are certainly the most musical. glad you are enjoying the CAMS kay! Sandals123, which triode lab - can you send a link?

guf

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2020, 02:31 pm »
I have used a 45 tube with all my Omegas with great results. Currently I only have one pair of desktop 3s, in my desktop system, Oliver sayes 45 and Slagle passive pre. it's wonderful.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2020, 02:37 pm »
Normally I would search the forum for more details but being a new member it’s not allowed.

Appreciate any feedback

After three (IIRC) posts, you are free to roam about the cabin. Try again if you haven't already.

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2020, 03:42 pm »
I have used a 45 tube with all my Omegas with great results. Currently I only have one pair of desktop 3s, in my desktop system, Oliver sayes 45 and Slagle passive pre. it's wonderful.

Good to hear.  After moving, I won't have my full size listening room, but I am getting to do a desktop setup.  I'm pairing my Korneff 45 amp and NuPrime DAC10H with a new pair of Super 3is that Louis just sent me. 
I'll have much more listening time, probably not at my previous listening session volumes though. 

Kray

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2020, 07:14 pm »
After three (IIRC) posts, you are free to roam about the cabin. Try again if you haven't already.

Yep. Got past initiation  :beer:

Sandals123

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2020, 11:32 pm »
the 2A3 and 45 tube sets are certainly the most musical. glad you are enjoying the CAMS kay! Sandals123, which triode lab - can you send a link?

Here is the link to the amplifier, mine has been tweaked a bit but basically this one... http://www.triodelab.com/2a3-set

I have had several tube amps before but this is the one that I have been looking for!

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2020, 01:04 am »
@avsfan

Lol. Yes one system only :(
Dedicated room and wife no kids :D

I’m liking the CAM’s so much that I’ll be following thru on my original thought and going with a pair of Super 6 Alnico XRS floorstanders, bottom ported.

I love the fast lively sound these omegas put out while having great imaging and just a beautiful sound overall. The Harbeths are great in their own right, but after listening to the CAM’s the C7’s come across as a little slow lushy sounding best with jazz/acoustic/vocals. The Omega’s can do that plus Daft punk in my testing.

I’m also itching to try more low wattage tubes amps like some 300b monoblocks, or a 2A3

I want to talk to you more about your Omega experience. I haven't had time to really read all of your thread. Are you the guy in Denver? Anyway, what did the Dirty Weekends not do for you? I own a pair and they're by far the most all around best speaker I have ever owned. They are in my main theater system. I did have them in my main two channel system with my way more expensive amps and electronics and they were simply stunning! I liked that I could slam some NIN and really be moved, then switch it up to female vocals and be just as impressed. They're just a very well rounded do it all kind of speaker.

Now all that being said. Omega's are superb speakers! I owned a pair before, Super 3XRS's with built in subs ran off a 2 watt per channel Super Zen. Match made in heaven. I am now on to my second pair of Omega speakers. Louis is in the building stage right now of monitor speakers for me. They're going to have dual RS5 drivers in a custom wide baffle enclosure with a front port. I went with the RS5 driver because they're even quicker and livelier than the CAM drivers. From what I have been told, the fastest and best imaging driver Louis offers. Just a little lean on the bass which I am augmenting with subwoofers. So no concerns there. I get the luxury of different systems to play with. All different. But I will post impressions of the two differences between the ZU's and Omega's.

jmolsberg

« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2020, 01:48 am »
L@@king good Sandals, bet it sounds superb

Sandals123

« Reply #17 on: 5 Mar 2020, 03:00 am »
L@@king good Sandals, bet it sounds superb

It is so smooth. I never believed that 3 watts and 5" drivers in tiny cabinets could produce this level of music and engagement.

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2020, 05:35 am »
It is so smooth. I never believed that 3 watts and 5" drivers in tiny cabinets could produce this level of music and engagement.

It's not right and defies the laws of physics. It completely goes against every principal I used to believe in. That's why I cant wait to be an Omega speaker owner again. When I had my 3XRS's hooked up to my 2 watt per channel Decware SE84UFO, it was some of the best sound I have heard. Now I will get double the fun in the form of 4 RS5 drivers instead of two!

But your set up is very nice. Is that a Node 2i?

jmolsberg

« Reply #19 on: 5 Mar 2020, 02:21 pm »
Very nice. Since you went there, I’ll play