My Memo To The Industry

enjoythemusic

Re: My Memo To The Industry
« Reply #60 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:40 pm »
Yep, that's what an "audiophile" used to be before the term was bastardized.  Generally, you built your own system and had a decent idea of how it worked and how to modify.  Some electronics background was almost mandatory and an "audiophile" was not unlike a ham radio enthusiast.

So....very....much...agree as it pertains to the past. Please keep in mind my very first day job was working for Heathkit electronics. Besides the usual bits, also helped with the then Heathkit BBS system setup...

Brainstorm is a great movie and perhaps one day.... yet we are not there yet. Only recently have we been able to really tap into the brain's audio center. My mom actually has one ear they have installed such things due top her suffering sudden hearing loss a few years back in one ear. Am always looking at those advances accordingly of course.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #61 on: 9 Jul 2013, 02:57 pm »
I may not share their hobby, but at least they don't sit around bemoaning that more people don't share their hobby.  This whole conversation about audio dying and what can we do to save it is stupid.

Tyson and others with this same thought.

Tyson, you have met me, and you know I am in my mid 40's.  And like me you go each year to RMAF. Look around at the age of the companies there. There were over 500 companies represented there, and I think I can count on one hand all of the companies that have owners, equipment designers, engineers, or even management staff that is my age or younger.

Now think of all the companies out there that are run or owned by people in their mid 60's and older. There's a lot of them!

I can't help but wonder who will be around in ten more years to produce "high fidelity" products let alone who will be buying them.

The market clearly is on the decline.

Davey

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jul 2013, 02:59 pm »
It was more of a rhetorical question John.  :)

Yeah, you should catch Brainstorm if you get a chance.  (Natalie Wood's last movie......for those of us old enough to remember her.)
The narrative gets completely muddled, but the concept of the gadget they design/conceive is where the interesting part of the movie lies.

Cheers,

Dave.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #63 on: 9 Jul 2013, 03:53 pm »
"Audio" won't die. It might not be what some segment or other of the "industry" wants it to be.

Exactly. The HT, Pro, car (OEM), etc, etc. audio markets are still going strong. It's the 2ch "audio" fashion jewelry market that is in decline.
Oh...and those ipod/won't sit for a minute and listen to 2ch for 2-3hrs modern day types? What do you think they do when watching movies, either at home or in cinema?

cheers,

AJ

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #64 on: 9 Jul 2013, 04:48 pm »
If I come off as a bit short, it's because I'm a big classical music enthusiast and this EXACT SAME conversation has been happening in that area for DECADES.  And guess what?  Today there is more (and better, and cheaper) classical music available than ever before in history.

And if you want to know where are all the young audiophiles?  They are over on head-fi.  Seriously, check out the average age of the posters over there - kids!  They do headphones because they are young, don't have much disposable income, and are more on the go.  What happens when they get older and buy a house or rent an apt?  Well, I can tell you that they already have "the need" for higher quality sound.  As the head-fi community gets older, it directly feeds into wanting better speakers and amps. 

Not only that, they have a modding community that would put us to shame.  So these kids are a lot more willing to experiment and get their hands dirty with the actual electronics and experimenting with what actually produces better sound. That type of interest in better sound does NOT go away, it merely morphs over time.

Soooo, stop worrying, you bunch of nannies!  ;) :D

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #65 on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:02 pm »
Maybe its just in your own backyard that the industry is perceived as failing.
There is this thing called "The rest of the world".... :wink:

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2011-09/01/content_13597389.htm

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #66 on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:23 pm »
Most musicians I know don't expect any home stereo (that they could afford) to sound like the real thing and are satisfied with a reasonable facsimile that doesn't cost too much, doesn't take up too much space and is simple to learn to operate. For real enjoyment they go to the real thing.

Enter Bose, who figured this out 4 decades ago.

2bigears

« Reply #67 on: 9 Jul 2013, 07:50 pm »
 :D  took the 1st wife down to the man-cave and she wanted to hear the Eagles. Ha,the EAGLES. So put on Freezes Over and ran a few songs. After a few songs,she asked me to play her Hotel Cali. I looked at her with the deer-in-headlights look.  :lol:  Didn't you hear it,it was just two songs back.  Ha,good lord i knew then who i was dealing with. A crazy woman going through menopause and NO HOPE for me.
     This thread is an eye openner and shows many social and of course economical indicators.On one hand we can afford this eguipment.Yet one maker of amps i know is going from a 20k amp to a 50k amp. Must be a market somewhere (off-shore) or it would't be done.Kids are into vinyl because it'as a bit trendy and cool.Not to listen to vinyl like us. Most kids don't have money or the attention span needed to sit and listen.
        Plus, in a world that is running out of everythng,it's hard to grab ahold of something this big and run with it. A lot of people worry about feeding themselves and their kids. It's all about changing times,evolution,priority shifts.Soon we will be looking for not the dedicated gold plated voltage plug for our amps, but WATER.
          As the masses cocoon in their homes,( just stepping out,just opening your door costs 20 bucks at the coffee/ice cream shop ),home theatre large screen tv's have sold ok.They are cheap and easy.Who cares about the sound quality.As long as it's loud with boomy bass.
            Just a few silly thoughts.You have to look at the BIG picture for answers.The world as we know it isn't for long. Sorry if you didn't know. :D
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2013, 10:18 pm by 2bigears »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:04 pm »
Come to think of it, he does have a powerful handshake.  He's a friend of a friend and we closed the bar at an LSAF a couple years back plus we've spent some time at our mutual friend's house [i]"hustlin and a pimpin and a carryin on". [/i] Come on, now, whose line is that?
No takers?  Alright, it's from a Lou Rawls song about the "hawk" amongst other things and life in Chicago.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #69 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:48 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm by jimdgoulding »

jhm731

« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2013, 12:08 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #71 on: 11 Jul 2013, 12:50 am »
I was under the weather and heartfeltly regret not censoring myself.  I'm drinking too much these days.  And, looking at the topic title, my comments were not intended as such, ever, it was just as a reply to a member.

Napalm

« Reply #72 on: 11 Jul 2013, 02:53 am »

PMAT

« Reply #73 on: 11 Jul 2013, 03:15 am »
Thanks, that was a fun read.