Bass traps position question

sonorlite

Bass traps position question
« on: 13 Apr 2019, 07:01 pm »

I recently moved to a new house and I am in process of setting up the listening room. The room is 16x12x8 but has a closet at the rear where I have removed the doors. This adds another two feet of depth but this leaves me with two short rear walls (3 feet each) cutting off some of the rear space.

I have floor to ceiling Soffit traps on the front wall and floor to ceiling tri-traps which for now are located in very rear corners behind those 3' walls.

I am finding a room resonance around 100hz-120hz irrespective of speaker position which makes me wonder if the rear traps should be in the room corners in front of the short walls instead of behind them of if that rear cavity itself is resonating.

Suggestions?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Bass traps position question
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2019, 07:43 pm »
Hi!

If you can post pictures of your current room with speakers as well as measurements that verify that you have a resonance in the frequency area you mentioned that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Anand.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Bass traps position question
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2019, 01:34 pm »
Generally speaking we like to start with the front corners as it also helps with SBIR. Basically some of the low end coming of the back of the speakers that can cause dips from the front wall. With that said though low end builds up in all corners so if you have back corners open then I would go for it. The back wall (and corners) is an area that you get a lot of nulls and peaks so in same ways is just as important as the front wall.

Glenn
GIK Acoustics