BDP-2 Digital Player

SFOX

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1060 on: 19 Jun 2015, 09:56 pm »
james

what is timing for delivery of BDP-2 with new audio card from date of order ?  :)

sfox

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1061 on: 19 Jun 2015, 10:12 pm »
james

what is timing for delivery of BDP-2 with new audio card from date of order ?  :)

sfox

Hi

I thought you had one on order and cancelled it?

james

Rod_S

« Reply #1062 on: 19 Jun 2015, 10:33 pm »
Got word this afternoon that my BDP-2 arrived. Since I don't have a car I won't be able to get my hands on it until Monday when the dealer will drop it off. I picked up my Siltech AES/EBU cable yesterday. Can't wait until Monday.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1063 on: 19 Jun 2015, 11:30 pm »
Got word this afternoon that my BDP-2 arrived. Since I don't have a car I won't be able to get my hands on it until Monday when the dealer will drop it off. I picked up my Siltech AES/EBU cable yesterday. Can't wait until Monday.

Great news Rod - looking forward to your feedback.

james

SFOX

« Reply #1064 on: 20 Jun 2015, 02:12 am »
Is a rack mount dress panel available for BDP-2 ?
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2015, 09:51 am by SFOX »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1065 on: 20 Jun 2015, 10:07 am »
Is a rack mount dress panel available for BDP-2 ?

Hi

Just a 19 without rack holes - or you can buy a 17 and add rack ears if you want to physically rack it.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1066 on: 20 Jun 2015, 01:08 pm »
Mystery solved. Turns out that Windows 7 encrypted contents to secure data. Once I undid that, all is fine. The original DSD files were downloaded on my MacBook Pro. Apparently Windows 7 will encrypt files brought over form the Mac. All files are now scanning properly.

Hi Ned

How did you make out with the card change over - chris tells me he connected remotely.

James

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #1067 on: 21 Jun 2015, 08:41 pm »
Hi Ned

How did you make out with the card change over - chris tells me he connected remotely.

James

The new audio card installation process is rather simple and the instructions are excellent. When doing this, pay very careful attention to the connectors. The whole process was done in 30 minutes as I took my time and double checked all connections. The wires that run under the prior card I found needed to be moved to a position above the new card for the new card to seat perfectly. If you have no issues with changing out or adding an additional hard drive to a computer, I feel you will find the process rather straight forward (as long as you have the right tools on hand and are not under the influence of 6 double espressos).

Now, onto the performance of the new card. This is an essential upgrade to the BDP-2, especially for systems having high resolution. The new card simply seems to stay out of the way of the music. I was jotting down a few notes while listening and the first noticeable improvement is how much quite the back ground is, the noise floor has really been lowered (which I did not think possible after listening the first card). The sound stage is huge, both in width and depth. There is greater delineation of fine musical details. Notes seem suspended on a cushion of air with the space between notes better delineated. Micro and macro dynamics are improved and impressive (likely due to the lowered noise floor). Very subtile fine details in music are clearly delineated with this card (no need to lean into the music, just sit back and lots of detail will unfold naturally). Pitch definition is improved, especially in the lower frequencies. There is improved extension, delineation, and definition of low frequencies. All in all this new audio card is a spectacular achievement and elevates the already fine performance of the BDP-2 to a new level. Highly recommended upgrade!

(System notes: DynAudio Evidence Temptation speakers, REL Studio III sub bass system, Classe SSP-800 controller, Classe CA-M600 monoblock amplifiers, Bryston BDP-2 with a 4 TB Western Digital Green hard drive (these drives are wicked quiet) and MPoD controller software, Nordost Valhalla digital & analog interconnects and speaker wire, EquiTech balanced wall power unit for all audio associated 20 amp outlets)

To make this mini-review honest, I must report as a side note that I made a post on the Manic Moose thread regarding a problem that seems to have occurred with the firmware upgrade needed for the new audio card. My BDP-2 will erratically suddenly stop playing while rendering the BDP-2 totally unresponsive to any input (front panel or otherwise). Multiple reboots are now required to get the BDP-2 up and running, but the sudden erratic bricking of the unit minutes to hours into listening persists. :roll: But when the unit is operational, the new sound card renders music gloriously.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2015, 04:28 pm by Ned F. Kuehn »

BrystonFan

« Reply #1068 on: 21 Jun 2015, 11:34 pm »
Excellent comments on the new audio card Ned.
You should be writing/reviewing for the industry rags!
 :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1069 on: 22 Jun 2015, 10:03 am »

Rod_S

« Reply #1070 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:15 am »
Anyone using a Harmony remote to turn on/off the BDP? For some reason mine isn't doing it. I can see the power LED briefly flash but it has no effect on toggling the standby. The play, pause, etc. work just fine. I'm just curious if the Harmony database IR power command is not correct. I suppose if there is an issue with the database entry the only way to get it to work would be to have a Bryston remote on hand to simply have the Harmony learn the IR command.

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1071 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:16 am »
Anyone using a Harmony remote to turn on/off the BDP? For some reason mine isn't doing it. I can see the power LED briefly flash but it has no effect on toggling the standby. The play, pause, etc. work just fine. I'm just curious if the Harmony database IR power command is not correct. I suppose if there is an issue with the database entry the only way to get it to work would be to have a Bryston remote on hand to simply have the Harmony learn the IR command.

I have the same issue.  The LED flashes, but the BPD-2 does not power on/off.  I had to load the BDA-2 as a device and use it to toggle the power of the BDP-2.  Either the BDA-2 is also wrong, or it uses the same IR code as the BDP-2. 

Overall, it is a nuisance, but I do not know how to get Harmony to update their database to correct the issue.

brystoned

« Reply #1072 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:47 am »

james

is there a blue LED on the new audio card ?

brystoned

Rod_S

« Reply #1073 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:42 am »
I have the same issue.  The LED flashes, but the BPD-2 does not power on/off.  I had to load the BDA-2 as a device and use it to toggle the power of the BDP-2.  Either the BDA-2 is also wrong, or it uses the same IR code as the BDP-2. 

Overall, it is a nuisance, but I do not know how to get Harmony to update their database to correct the issue.

Thanks, so you at least found a workaround. I'll give that a try this evening.

Rod_S

« Reply #1074 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:21 am »
I had a few minutes so I added the BDA-2 as a device and the power toggle works. I'll integrate it into my BDP-2 activity this evening.

Rod_S

« Reply #1075 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:43 pm »
Is the blue LCD display a special kind of blue? I immediately noticed it's a different shade than my Lexicon and Furman. Both of those appear to be identical in a dark blue but the BDP is noticeably lighter. The actual blue LED of the power light when it's on is the same color as the LED's on the other gear. I don't think I've ever encountered this shade in a LCD display in a piece of electronics before.

Tympani

« Reply #1076 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:34 pm »
I suspect the "aqua" shade of the blue LED display is imparted by a green tint of the overlying glass, but I may be wrong.

Rod_S

« Reply #1077 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:45 pm »
The glass seems to be blue when the unit is off but I suppose it might have a hint of another color in it, possibly green. Aqua is a very good description of the color.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1078 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:48 pm »
Yes it is a Blue/Green colour.

james

brystoned

« Reply #1079 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:54 pm »
james

is there a blue LED on the new audio card ?

brystoned

I was not referring to the display on the front panel - there appears to be a blue LED mounted near the center of the new audio card in the picture above

ed