BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1000 on: 6 Jun 2015, 04:02 pm »
Question for J.T., if the new BDA-3 can convert files that are PCM up to 32 bit / 384Khz and DSDx4.  Can the new BDP - 2 interpete the signal that is being sent at that hi of resolution. Because on the Bryston website the posted specs for the BDP - 2 are on 24 bit / 196Khz.

Thanks
Barry

Hi Barry

It will depend on the Linux software development going forward. There are no files I am aware of at this point anyway.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #1001 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:28 pm »
I need a bit of education :)

When we all talk at 44.1/16, 96/24, 192/24 etc. is this always and only a reference to digital resolution rather than analog or does it refer to both? If it only refers to digital then how do we quantify the analog resolution? I know DAC stands for digital to analog converter but I'm just curious what the numbers truly reference, the max digital signal supported or the analog output.

For example I don't have the BDP-2 yet so I'll use my Denon Blu-ray player for this. It has 32/216 DACS and since I don't have HDMI on my SSP I use the 7.1 analog outs. What resolution is my SSP seeing?

Phil A

« Reply #1002 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:52 pm »
I need a bit of education :)

When we all talk at 44.1/16, 96/24, 192/24 etc. is this always and only a reference to digital resolution rather than analog or does it refer to both? If it only refers to digital then how do we quantify the analog resolution? I know DAC stands for digital to analog converter but I'm just curious what the numbers truly reference, the max digital signal supported or the analog output.

For example I don't have the BDP-2 yet so I'll use my Denon Blu-ray player for this. It has 32/216 DACS and since I don't have HDMI on my SSP I use the 7.1 analog outs. What resolution is my SSP seeing?

The DACs in the Denon player are deconding what you are playing.  So if you are playing a Blu-Ray with 24/96 audio, then that is what you are getting.

Phil A

« Reply #1003 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:54 pm »
When I had my SP1.7 I got my audio into it via an Oppo Blu-Ray player and its analog outs.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1004 on: 7 Jun 2015, 04:50 am »
It'd be the other way around. The BDP-2 sends the signal to the BDA-3.

Rod_S

« Reply #1005 on: 7 Jun 2015, 03:57 pm »
Thanks

An unrelated question. I've read on the forums in the past there were issues plugging the BDP's into power conditioners. What was the deal with that and is that still something that one could have to avoid? I hate the thought of having to plug mine into the wall when it arrives, hopefully late this week/early next week.

Spyman

« Reply #1006 on: 7 Jun 2015, 05:20 pm »
I've got my BPD-1 plugged into a BIT 15 and have had no problems at all. It's been that way for a couple of years now.

Norton

« Reply #1007 on: 7 Jun 2015, 09:40 pm »
Question for J.T., if the new BDA-3 can convert files that are PCM up to 32 bit / 384Khz and DSDx4.  Can the new BDP - 2 interpete the signal that is being sent at that hi of resolution. Because on the Bryston website the posted specs for the BDP - 2 are on 24 bit / 196Khz.

Thanks
Barry

If it helps I can confirm that the current BDP 2 certainly plays DXD 352Khz and DSDx2. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1008 on: 9 Jun 2015, 01:00 am »
Thanks

An unrelated question. I've read on the forums in the past there were issues plugging the BDP's into power conditioners. What was the deal with that and is that still something that one could have to avoid? I hate the thought of having to plug mine into the wall when it arrives, hopefully late this week/early next week.

Depends on your line voltage and how the power conditioner effects the line voltage.  My line voltage in my home is 125v, at work it's 118v.  A BIT generally increases the voltage by about 5V, assuming nominal voltage (120 v).  The BDP(wired for 120) will accept between (going from memory) 100 to 130v.  So for me I can use a BIT at work as my 118v line would only be bumped up to 123v (+/- 0.5v), which is within the tolerance of 100-130v.  However at home where my line voltage is already 125v, a BIT would likley prevent the system from turning on, the BDP would see the line voltage as to high and flag error 05 on the display.

Keep in mind the BDP makes us of a full linear regulater paired with a linear transformer at a relative consistent current, so a BIT or similair product might be a bit overkill.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1009 on: 9 Jun 2015, 01:25 am »
Hi Folks,

Products like the BIT have to be rated based on their maximum voltage and amperage capability under full load - so a 15 amp unit will have a slight voltage increase if nothing is plugged into it.  As you add more gear - example your source gear and amplifier - the slight increase in voltage is reduced.

If you have a serious over voltage issue in your area then the BIT AVR (auto voltage regulation) version would be a good option.

james

« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm by James Tanner »

v12_aml

« Reply #1010 on: 9 Jun 2015, 03:06 am »
Anyone tested the new soundcard and can give some feedback?

I've been listening to the new unit for several days. Compared to the older unit, the upgrade offers a noticeable improvement in resolution.

Is it a $500 improvement in overall sound? In categorical terms, it is a component upgrade; you would be remiss in not upgrading your current unit. It sounds characteristically like the older BDP, however there is much more retrieval of information making it a more satisfying and exciting listening experience. Backgrounds are darker, it's tonally a little richer, there is more clarity and transparency, and there is less grit in the presentation. The soundstage is a bit broader overall, but this took about a week of break-in to realize.

Why otherwise you would you pay $500 to upgrade?

It plays DSD through the AES/EBU output.  :inlove:
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2015, 11:54 am by v12_aml »

Phil A

« Reply #1011 on: 9 Jun 2015, 12:49 pm »

That's great to hear :thumb:

Rod_S

« Reply #1012 on: 9 Jun 2015, 02:35 pm »
Hi Folks,

Products like the BIT have to be rated based on their maximum voltage and amperage capability under full load - so a 15 amp unit will have a slight voltage increase if nothing is plugged into it.  As you add more gear - example your source gear and amplifier - the slight increase in voltage is reduced.

If you have a serious over voltage issue in your area then the BIT AVR (auto voltage regulation) version would be a good option.

james

Depends on your line voltage and how the power conditioner effects the line voltage.  My line voltage in my home is 125v, at work it's 118v.  A BIT generally increases the voltage by about 5V, assuming nominal voltage (120 v).  The BDP(wired for 120) will accept between (going from memory) 100 to 130v.  So for me I can use a BIT at work as my 118v line would only be bumped up to 123v (+/- 0.5v), which is within the tolerance of 100-130v.  However at home where my line voltage is already 125v, a BIT would likley prevent the system from turning on, the BDP would see the line voltage as to high and flag error 05 on the display.

Keep in mind the BDP makes us of a full linear regulater paired with a linear transformer at a relative consistent current, so a BIT or similair product might be a bit overkill.

Thanks Chris and James, great information to have. I don't think I'll have anything to worry about then.

Tympani

« Reply #1013 on: 9 Jun 2015, 06:31 pm »

Will an updated BDP-2 card pass DSD via AES/EBU to the BDA-3? If so, only single-rate DSD?

Rod_S

« Reply #1014 on: 9 Jun 2015, 09:25 pm »
That's certainly suggested in the recent customer feedback James posted but it may just be a case that yes he was able to output DSD but it was doing so via DoP and not native DSD. Hopefully James or Chris will clarify.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1015 on: 9 Jun 2015, 10:27 pm »
Will an updated BDP-2 card pass DSD via AES/EBU to the BDA-3? If so, only single-rate DSD?

It does not.  We felt if someone wanted to do DSD they would use a USB dac capable of doing DSD at higher rates then DSD64

Phil A

« Reply #1016 on: 9 Jun 2015, 11:28 pm »
There aren't many DACs that can do DSD by other than USB or i2S.  I've seen a few claims but am a bit skeptical.  Would be nice though.

Rod_S

« Reply #1017 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:45 pm »
Hi James,

My dealer should have put an order in last Tuesday, the 2nd for my BDP-2, do you think there is any chance at all they would have it by this Monday, the 15th?

Thanks,

Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1018 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:57 pm »
Hi Rod

Which dealer?

james

Rod_S