Favorite speakers under $1,500?

Construct

Favorite speakers under $1,500?
« on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:48 pm »
If you were stuck (new, used or kit) under $1.500 a pair- what would or did you choose?  Ie Axiom Polk lsi Jbl Klipsch Paradigm B&w Etc...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Favorite speakers under $1,500?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm »
JBL 4312A Control Monitors..very efficient, very accurate, but hey I'm a fanatic for old JBL's... :dance:

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:21 am »
Monitor Audio RS6, now the RX6

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:48 am »
If i had $1500 to spend on a pair of speakers, i'd go with one the below

- Selah Audio SSR + Bass module
- GR research OB5/OB7
- GR research V2

I have heard all the above three, and owned the first two. They are amazing speakers.

Occam

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:51 am »
In used speakers KEF 104/2, ALON IV & V
These are inevitably long in the tooth and may require replacement of foam surrounds on the woofers. Bill LeGall of Millersound can do this for minimal cost and use newer non-deteriorating foam surrounds.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:02 am »
www.Natesaudio.com

Model T5, $900 a pair, by far the best modestly priced very small speaker I have ever heard.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:04 am »
Used Gallo Stradas, if you can find them. No box or crossover to color the sound. Lightening quick, image beyomd belief, and works great in any size room. These are a must listen. Will need a small powered sub. These are as good as all the reviewers have been saying.

Another plus, WAF is very high.

emac

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:17 am »
GR Research O-3: as long as you can get them off of the walls, they soundstage like crazy.  Similar to the OB5/OB7 models but w/ a smaller footprint.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:29 am »

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:33 am »
You don't mention the size of the room, sonic preferences, frequency range etc. so tough for me to make a recommendation. For what it's worth I can offer my preferences and what I ended up choosing as my main speakers.

1. Neutral, high resolution full range sound in a medium to medium-large room
2. Floor standing, not to large, easy to place, kid friendly, don't visually overpower the living room where I listen and can be rolled out of the way when not in use
3. Need to enjoy the sound stage from everywhere in the room, no being stuck to a listening chair

I needed to sell my Harbeth S HL5's last year because my son was getting a little too rambunctious. The speakers I replaced them with were a mint vintage pair of Ohm Walsh 4's which I later upgraded to the latest Ohm drivers. They are simply marvelous speakers, and not just for the price. The only thing I miss about the Harbeth's is they didn't require the power the Ohm's do.

For a $1500 budget you'd have to go with one of their smaller models; say a clean pair of Ohm Walsh 2's which you can regularly find on Craigslist for about $250 and then $1000 for the upgrade. I'm told the sound signature is similar from the smallest to largest drivers they offer. They have a 60 day trial period for the upgraded driver or 120 days if you buy a new, complete speakers.

They fly totally under the radar because they don't advertise. The real value is they continue to provide an upgrade path for every speaker they've ever made. American made as well, for over 30 years.

flintstone

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:45 am »
Well, I paid $1,700 for my Apogee Duetta Signatures 9 years ago.

Some others I like:

1. Snell type A
2. Mirage M1 and M3's
3. ADS 2030's
4. Klipsch K-horns
5. Altec 19

Lots of others,

Dave

soundbitten1

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:47 am »

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:52 am »
I would have to pick up a pair of used Von Schweikert VR-2's. Their sound is well balanced from 25 Hz - 25 kHz, they can produce a terrific 3-D image, and they are easy to drive.

Construct

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:43 am »
You don't mention the size of the room, sonic preferences, frequency range etc. so tough for me to make a recommendation. For what it's worth I can offer my preferences and what I ended up choosing as my main speakers.

1. Neutral, high resolution full range sound in a medium to medium-large room
2. Floor standing, not to large, easy to place, kid friendly, don't visually overpower the living room where I listen and can be rolled out of the way when not in use
3. Need to enjoy the sound stage from everywhere in the room, no being stuck to a listening chair

I needed to sell my Harbeth S HL5's last year because my son was getting a little too rambunctious. The speakers I replaced them with were a mint vintage pair of Ohm Walsh 4's which I later upgraded to the latest Ohm drivers. They are simply marvelous speakers, and not just for the price. The only thing I miss about the Harbeth's is they didn't require the power the Ohm's do.

For a $1500 budget you'd have to go with one of their smaller models; say a clean pair of Ohm Walsh 2's which you can regularly find on Craigslist for about $250 and then $1000 for the upgrade. I'm told the sound signature is similar from the smallest to largest drivers they offer. They have a 60 day trial period for the upgraded driver or 120 days if you buy a new, complete speakers.

They fly totally under the radar because they don't advertise. The real value is they continue to provide an upgrade path for every speaker they've ever made. American made as well, for over 30 years.
There really should not be this much agonizing, because it's a choice... $1,500 or less for one pair...that would fit your uses.  It doesn't need to be a pair that will fill a massive room, but rather something that really works all-around. (Almost like a desert island choice) I like Harbeth...very nice speakers. I haven't heard OHM in years...I remember those.

Construct

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:44 am »
BTW:  I was under the impression "under $1,500"  would be considered a cheap and cheerful thing.  But I suppose the question is too broad and general... :scratch:

china

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:55 am »
I would have to say the "Mark & Daniels" Muse lla's" used @ $1,500 that I recentenly purchased, better presentation than the "Rubies" that I also own.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:05 am »
BTW:  I was under the impression "under $1,500"  would be considered a cheap and cheerful thing.  But I suppose the question is too broad and general... :scratch:

Maybe the Circle's Guidelines will clarify the Circle's thread posting intentions for ya.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Construct

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:12 am »

Maybe the Circle's Guidelines will clarify the Circle's thread posting intentions for ya.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
I see I overbid and the price was wrong...  :rules:

Construct

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:20 am »
JBL 4312A Control Monitors..very efficient, very accurate, but hey I'm a fanatic for old JBL's... :dance:
Where do you set your level controls?  Midway or...???? 

nicksgem10s

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:21 am »
Pi speakers 4 Pi model kit and buy the best drivers and crossover components you can afford.  Amazing sound and not just for the money.  :o   Need to run multiple subs so that may not work depending on how strict your budget is for the entire system.

If you are considering smaller and more affordable speakers the Parker Audio Troll Signatures would be at the top of my list.  I would also pair them with a couple of subs.  Special speakers that put out a very big bold sound for such a small footprint. 

-Nick