http://www.wavetouchaudio.com/reviews.html

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Wavetouch Grand Teton Monitors ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 12:12 pm »
Are these speakers really that good?

Welcome to AC, as facilitator of this circle I'll try to guide you through our site a little bit.  This post would get more replies over in the Enclosures circle and it really doesn't belong in C&C where we have strict price limits that these speakers far exceed, so I'll move it for you.  Additionally, if you could be so kind as to add a little bit about why you're looking at these speakers it would be helpful in answering your question.

As far as the speakers go, they look pretty gimmicky to me.  The manufacturer also offers the waveguide as an add on to any speaker, as if any speaker benefits from an unspecified waveguide.  Right there I'm suspicious enough to dismiss them from any consideration unless they get some sort of rave response on the web sites or show reports.  I haven't heard them at any shows, nor seen them in any dealers in my area.  Nothing really interests me here.     

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 02:49 pm »
^ what he said,.

I'll just add, listen for yourself. It's the only way to know.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2014, 03:43 pm »

Actually heard the review samples here in Tucson where the StereoTimes reviewer lives. They are excellent speakers without a doubt. I had no beef whatsoever with their presentation. They were driven by 300B amps with no issue, so the efficiency rating must be fairly accurate as well. The reviewer bought the speakers BTW.  As to the cosmetics and pricing, I couldn't figure how the Baltic birch version nearly doubled the price from the basic model. Now you're at 4K+ and the plastic wave guides stick out like a sore thumb against the Baltic birch. These things also mount in a rather flimsy manner.  I told Frank( the reviewer) that the designer/manufacturer needed to incorporate attractive properly mounted wooden wave guides to justify a 4K+ price tag. All in all, a superb speaker that punches well above it's weight class.( at least in regard to size) Strong suits being it's manageable size, big presentation and efficiency. Downsides being price( for the Baltic birch) and the unattractive wave guide set-up. Well worth an audition, but as others have already said, let YOUR ears be the judge. One more caveat, I heard these speakers several months ago, so I have no idea if some of my statements in regard to pricing and design still hold true.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2014, 04:22 pm »
I've been tempted to give these a go, but I'm not interested in upgrading my TPA, which could be a requirement on account of the X-over vs SMPS... The other concern is the wave guides; while great for serious listening via the hot seat, but what about casual listening elsewhere in the room?

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2014, 10:38 pm »
I've been tempted to give these a go, but I'm not interested in upgrading my TPA, which could be a requirement on account of the X-over vs SMPS... The other concern is the wave guides; while great for serious listening via the hot seat, but what about casual listening elsewhere in the room?

Wind Chaser,
                       I  don't remember having to be riveted to one single listening position to enjoy these. Really through a big open soundstage and off-center listening was enjoyable as well.

simoon

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2014, 11:09 pm »
I LOVED these when I heard them at last years THE Show in Newport Beach!

With the waveguides on, the image was eerie.

If I was in the market for a monitor, these would be high on my list.

I actually have these on my list of speakers to revisit for next week's Show, just so I can have the pleasure of hearing them again.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2014, 11:53 pm »
Wind Chaser,
                       I  don't remember having to be riveted to one single listening position to enjoy these. Really through a big open soundstage and off-center listening was enjoyable as well.

Guess I may have to reconsider them then. A big and open sound stage is my highest priority. The Hornshoppes with the original 4" FE108 combined with a Decware Zen were amazing in that regard.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 09:34 pm »
 If anyone here is going to this year's Newport Beach Show, please give us your feedback on these speakers.

On their web site it says there be at the Atrium Hotel, #231

THANK YOU

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2014, 10:16 pm »

I would be surprised if so.
I unaware how a 94db, 4 ohm two way loudspeaker(with a xover) would be ''Single Ended Tube Amp Friendly''.

How they would call a sole 100dB crossoverless fullrange driver so?

ctsooner

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2014, 10:26 am »
I've heard these speakers and I didn't like them at all.  There was no coherency and the highs were too bright for me. I just am not into the tweeter he used for these.  The sound of them was very lean is what someone on this board reported hearing from the show.  I posted this on Audiogon in a thread about something else over there and was called a liar and that there was no room reaction because of that waveguide etc... The owner kept attacking me because I was honest and didn't' like his speakers. I've never seen anything like it as I've been around high end audio since 69 and I know a ton of the folks in the business and I've never been treated like that.  All these threads have done is vindicate my ear, but I had to post that.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2014, 01:52 pm »
The owner kept attacking me because I was honest and didn't' like his speakers. I've never seen anything like it as I've been around high end audio since 69 and I know a ton of the folks in the business and I've never been treated like that.  All these threads have done is vindicate my ear, but I had to post that.

Yeah, I hear you.  There are some manufacturers, generally introductory products, that seem to think that public internet forums are their personal marketing tool and they have the right to attack anyone who doesn't see the wonder in their special little breakthrough.  More than made up for by the professionals we have here on AC who give out free expert advice on a multitude of topics.  I wouldn't anticipate anyone attacking your views here, maybe disagreeing, but we frown on personal attacks around here.

Also I can't help but mention the OP has posted 4 times on two different threads exclusively about the Wavetouch speakers and which room they'll be in at an upcoming show.  He's probably just very excited about this product and really wants to hear our opinions, but as previously mentioned, it would be helpful to know why Crossoverless is interested in these speakers and to hear something about the system he would be using them in.   :wink:         

ctsooner

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2014, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for the kind reply. I agree that he was out of line and that's the only reason I even bring it up. I try to be a positive person.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2014, 12:54 pm by ctsooner »

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2014, 09:04 am »
JohnR knows me really well

Sorry but I have no idea who you are...

This thread is definitely skirting the dirty laundry policy and may be put down as a result.

ctsooner

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2014, 01:53 pm »
John R, I thought you were someone else.  I deleted most of my last post as I agree with you.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention and I'm sorry.