Subwoofer to Mains Synergy

medium jim

Subwoofer to Mains Synergy
« on: 3 Aug 2012, 04:09 pm »
With all the different types of subwoofers and main speakers, how is synergy arrived at?

I have planars and maybe it was a case of divine intervention, but I found a lowly pair of B&W 8" down firing subs to be the cats meow.  They also sounded wonderful with my KEF 104/2's that had the dipolito array.  They don't with my JBL L100A's or other more conventional Ported enclosure speakers.

Is their a general formula for pairing subs with Planars, ElectroStats, Open Baffle, Ported, Dipole, etc. ?

Jim

roscoeiii

Re: Subwoofer to Mains Synergy
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2012, 04:17 pm »
For myself, what made the greatest impact was using the REL speaker level connection. Their implementation of the Speak-on connector and wires leading to the amp's outputs yielded better integration with a single REL Storm III than I could achieve with my NHT X2 crossover with dual NHT subs.

However, that isn't to say that this would be the case about all speaker level connections. As I understand it, the circuitry designed by REL for this speaker level intergration goes a long way towards much of the praise that these subs get for integration and being great subs for music. Interestingly they have a separate volume control for their RCA input, so you can have the same sub tuned differently for music vs. HT duties.