Transcendence 10 SL pre amp

Charles Calkins

Transcendence 10 SL pre amp
« on: 20 Feb 2019, 09:27 pm »

Let me start off with a description of my audio gear. My main system

Cambridge audio stream magic 6  media server.
     Frank's  SL 10 pre amp.
     Marantz SA 8004 super audio CD player
     Macintosh MC 352 amp.
     Von Schweikert VR-4 SR Mk4 speakers.
     Bluejeans RCA  cables and speaker cables

I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED about The SL 10 pre amp. :D :D :D :D
    I did not think that one audio component would make such a difference.
    Everything sounds almost like being at a live concert.

There are only two things i noticed after I got the system up and running.
     #1 Bass. WOW!!! is there Bass now. The SL doesn't have tone controls so I can't
         reduce the bass output level. I'll just have to put up with it. I do not have a sub woofer in case you Thought I did.
      #2 There seems to be like a screech at the top end it is there on voice and orchestra cymbals.
            Not annoying but it is there and the only thing there and it maybe the amplifier needs replacing.
            The Mac amp is maybe 20 years old I've had it for 11 years.
            Well guys that is my opinion of Frank's SL pre amp.
            By the way. The SL replaced Frank's Avastar pre amp. It was 11 years old.

Cheers
                                            Charlie

Musicman262

Re: Transcendence 10 SL pre amp
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2019, 06:48 pm »
Just took delivery of my T10 SL on 3/4/19. GREAT preamp. I ordered it with gain knocked down to 14 from the standard 20. With the low gain switch, this brings the volume control into a very useful range in my system. I do not notice any degradation of SQ with the low gain switch engaged. 20 db was just too high for my needs. My amp - a NuForce STA-200 based on the Goldmund/JOB 225 circuit - has a very high input gain of 34. Great sounding amp, though. And with the preamp gain reduced, this is a match made in heaven. This pair brings real magic out of my Vandersteen 1Cs. Wonderful 3D soundstage and tonal colors. Beautiful on male and female vocals. Nice tonal balance and transient attack without sounding harsh or artificial. Nice decay as well.
If you are having problems with a "screech" in the upper midrange, first I would give it some more hours to settle in. Second, I did find that the Electro Harmonix 6922s that came in the unit were a tad on the bright side in my system. I happened to have a pair of NOS Amperex 7308 gold pins in my tube stash and those sound wonderful. Smooth, relaxed, very natural, and nice expansive 3D soundstage. I don't recommend them though - they have become quite hard to find and very expensive when you find them. I already had a matched pair that I bought 18 years ago for much less than they are selling for now, that I had barely used. But you might try rolling some other tubes in if the hardness you are experiencing does not respond to more burn in. I did not really give the EHs a chance, because I knew I had other NOS tubes to try, but I'm thinking I may give the EHs another chance by putting some more hours on them and the preamp.
Since I retired, I had to downsize my system along with my home. I'm loving the way it sounds in my new home(an apartment). Perfect apartment system which in many ways outperforms the far larger and costlier systems I have owned.
The T10 is a great addition to my system. An excellent linestage with superior sonics for a great price. Looks great too with the silver faceplate. I am very impressed as well! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!!!