I'll be in the market for a TT next year...

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

I'll be in the market for a TT next year...
« on: 26 Jun 2018, 06:06 pm »
And I'm looking for my endgame tuntable. One of the tables I am considering is a Well tempered so I wanted to come in a and kick the tires and ask a few questions.

Coming from a Project Debut Carbon (which has been flawless for 5 years) I have no doubt a WTL table will be a giant step up. I think the golf ball floating in oil is an interesting idea as well but my fear is that the WTL tables are "tweakers tables" meaning good tables for people like to tweak thing endlessly. While there's surely nothing wrong with that, I am looking at tables that are "set it and forget it".

I plan to run (most likely but who really knows) the Ortofon 2M Bronze but am interested in dipping my toes into MC carts too.

I welcome any and all feedback and experiences, especially those from newbies like myself who came to WTL.

Thanks

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
Re: I'll be in the market for a TT next year...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2018, 06:21 pm »
I clicked on this thinking you were looking to purchase an Audi.... (lol).  Good luck though.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2018, 10:58 pm »
Once properly set up,  my WTL Amadeus has been no more finicky than any other turntable I've owned. The only exception might be the delicacy of the uber thin drive belts. I use 2 or 3 a year, but they're extremely inexpensive to fabricate. I believe 3 are included with a WTL turntable purchase. As far as MC cartridges, I've used both stock and Zu bodied Denon 103's with no issue. For heavier cartridges, use both included counterweights or an aftermarket XTC.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:41 pm »
or an aftermarket XTC.
Not sure I understand this part.

Thanks though, I really like the look of the table and could see owning one. I've read the amount of fluid dampening is fairly important, is this hard to maintain? I live in a hot and very dry climate so I could see this being a potential issue.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2018, 12:57 am »
I would rather have the Audi!

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2018, 01:22 am »
Not sure I understand this part.

Thanks though, I really like the look of the table and could see owning one. I've read the amount of fluid dampening is fairly important, is this hard to maintain? I live in a hot and very dry climate so I could see this being a potential issue.

The XTC counterweight is a brass cylinder designed specifically for the Amadeus. That said, I'm sure they fabricate them for other tables as well. Manufactured in England and found on eBay. I live in Tucson which fits the hot/dry description. Have never had to add any silicon fluid to the bearing cup in 5 years of operation. The fluid used is extremely thick.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2018, 01:39 am »
The XTC counterweight is a brass cylinder designed specifically for the Amadeus. That said, I'm sure they fabricate them for other tables as well. Manufactured in England and found on eBay. I live in Tucson which fits the hot/dry description. Have never had to add any silicon fluid to the bearing cup in 5 years of operation. The fluid used is extremely thick.

I’m in Phoenix.

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2018, 02:56 am »
I've owned a Versalex for over 3 years and the only thing I "tweaked" was the stock mat. It was replaced with a Auditorium A23. I have read where one person thought that a different belt might sound better, but I have never found the need and I am still using the stock belt. You may be referring to the older versions, where owners were frequently experimenting with different tweaks. However, I think that you will find the newer stock WTTs to sound very fine indeed.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2018, 01:40 pm »
Good to know. I’m pretty excited about getting a nice table and I’m intrigued by the WTL  tables.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2018, 03:09 pm »
Yes, like RPM 123, I replaced the stock mat with the A23 mat. (the thinner one)

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2018, 03:28 pm »
Good to know

Vic

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2018, 11:18 pm »
Sixteen years ago I paid $300 for a very damaged Well Tempered square motor. After the initial repairs I'd been using a Benz Micro Wood Lo with great enjoyment. After a recent overhaul chronicled here it now sports a Benz Micro Z Lo output which many consider completely out classes the turntable. This old deck easily displayed the stunning differences between the two cartridges and left me without any remorse for the cost of the Z and the path I chose.

The Well Tempered Classic Tone Arm passes the Shure "An Audio Obstacle Course IV" SIDE TWO BAND Five: Tone Arm Resonance Test without jumping out of the track. My predecessor table the Technics SL 1200 MK II with a Shure V15 Type III cartridge (with the dust brush in the down position) would also pass this test.

The classic arm offers on the fly anti-skating and azimuth adjustments and with a minor drill and tap, on the fly VTA. 

Which brings me to the Technics. Despite the 1200's many other weaknesses they seem to have been addressed in their latest G model. The older Technics was ergonomically rock solid and had a cense of pace that is lacking and sadly missed in the Well Tempered, the WT has an undeniable cense of soul.

If your considering a higher end Well Tempered I'm almost certain I'd choose the new Technics G. If not, don't miss the Clearaudio line.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2018, 11:45 pm »
I have two of the older WTL turntables and the fluids are silicone and Mobil 1.
That stuff isn't going to evaporate no matter what the temperature.

tipatina

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2018, 01:02 pm »
I’ve enjoyed my Amadeus Mk2 for several years. Great sound. Your dealer and the folks on this board can help with the setup. Don’t do much tweaking at all-but its easy to do if you like. Love the sound. My wall-wart was a little noisy so I got a substitute from RadioShack. I too was nervous before the purchase but haven’t regretted it. Good luck with your purchase.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2018, 12:04 am by tipatina »

Vic

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2018, 03:30 am »
MONKEY
I can't speak to the newer generation golf ball equipped WT tonearms with covered fluid cups.

My experience with the older paddle equipped open cup is that it can collect enough dust which can thicken the silicone to a point were intermittent tracking issues or very slow tonearm settling may arise over a period of three years or more depending on ones environment.

Replacing the fluid is actually quite simple:
Make note of the fluid level within the cup and the time it takes the tonearm to settle onto the LP.
After safely removing the cartridge place the entire tonearm assembly on its side in a disposable vessel such as a paper plate or tin foil and letting the majority of the fluid drain out over night. Use isopropyl alcohol for any outer cup cleanup.

Remount the tonearm and refill the cup with the previously noted amount of new 100,000 cSt silicone. Remount the cartridge an note any difference in settling time.           

/mp

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2018, 10:01 am »
Still using original square motored w/shroud Well Tempered Turntable & Tonearm bought new ~30 years ago. Replaced belt & fluids + added dust cover ~10 years ago. Tweaking a non-issue beyond readjusting tonearm after replacing worn cartridges. Requires bent logic to blame that on the table. 

Happy listening whatever you decide to do.

G E

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:11 pm »
And I'm looking for my endgame tuntable. One of the tables I am considering is a Well tempered so I wanted to come in a and kick the tires and ask a few questions.

Coming from a Project Debut Carbon (which has been flawless for 5 years) I have no doubt a WTL table will be a giant step up. I think the golf ball floating in oil is an interesting idea as well but my fear is that the WTL tables are "tweakers tables" meaning good tables for people like to tweak thing endlessly. While there's surely nothing wrong with that, I am looking at tables that are "set it and forget it".

I plan to run (most likely but who really knows) the Ortofon 2M Bronze but am interested in dipping my toes into MC carts too.

I welcome any and all feedback and experiences, especially those from newbies like myself who came to WTL.

Thanks

No relation to seller but this is a great deal. Don't wait til next year.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152802.new;topicseen#new

I live in Atlanta which gets hot. In the 4 years I have owned my WTA the silicon fluid has never needed "topping off"

Too viscous to evaporate. Plus it's in conditioned space with AC and heat

Probably less of a tweaker's table than many because of the fixed cartridge mounting.