Mejor Vs Estremo

TitaniumTroy

Mejor Vs Estremo
« on: 31 Jan 2016, 02:14 am »
Ok, I know this is kind of apples and oranges comparison. Besides the obvious that the Mejor will have superior bass, is more expensive, and uses DEQX for the crossover. How will the large Raal tweeter and Scanspeak Illuminator mid range sound vs the Acuton midrange and smaller Raal tweeter?

FYI, I heard the Raal tweeter and Acuuton midrange at the 2015 AXPONA in a competitors speaker and was really impressed. Thought it sounded better than my Magnepans 3.6s, so have been researching speakers that use the Raal and Accuton. Imaging/soundstage, detail, correct timber and accurate tonal balance would be my top interests in a speaker.

Oh and hi to Roscoe, and Jack, hope to see you again at AXPONA.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Mejor Vs Estremo
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2016, 07:34 pm »
Ok, I know this is kind of apples and oranges comparison. Besides the obvious that the Mejor will have superior bass, is more expensive, and uses DEQX for the crossover. How will the large Raal tweeter and Scanspeak Illuminator mid range sound vs the Acuton midrange and smaller Raal tweeter?

FYI, I heard the Raal tweeter and Acuuton midrange at the 2015 AXPONA in a competitors speaker and was really impressed. Thought it sounded better than my Magnepans 3.6s, so have been researching speakers that use the Raal and Accuton. Imaging/soundstage, detail, correct timber and accurate tonal balance would be my top interests in a speaker.

Oh and hi to Roscoe, and Jack, hope to see you again at AXPONA.

That's a tough comparison but I'll try to help with my input. The DEQX is really what makes it possible to do that driver combination; otherwise, I couldn't have attained the same level of performance. A hybrid of the two designs would be a good match for your preferences. I could easily integrate an active bass section with the Tempesta into one cabinet. Not that the Estremo's bass isn't really good - but as you noted, a powered section with EQ and larger drivers will have great extension.

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:13 am »
Thanks for the reply Gary. Just curious if you have ever thought about building a 4 way speaker? If so based on my preferences what drivers would you use and what would the overall speaker look like and ballpark cost? Also what kind of frequency response might it have?

Any chance you will be showing at the 2016 AXPONA, would be cool to meet you and hear your speakers in person.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply Gary. Just curious if you have ever thought about building a 4 way speaker? If so based on my preferences what drivers would you use and what would the overall speaker look like and ballpark cost? Also what kind of frequency response might it have?

Any chance you will be showing at the 2016 AXPONA, would be cool to meet you and hear your speakers in person.

Here's a 4-way that I designed:

This design was all passive since the owner wanted to drive the speakers with a single 2-channel amp or two mono-blocks. In order to have higher sensitivity and good bass extension in a sealed box we used a 15" woofer. That dictated the cabinet shape to avoid having it look like a refrigerator!

All passive 4-way designs are not easy to do which is why I would suggest a hybrid of active and passive or going fully active with a DSP crossover. With a 4-way you have many driver choices because each one is optimized for a smaller operating range. I have a specific set of drivers that would be excellent in a 38"-40" high cabinet (plus about 2"-3" for a base w/spikes), 10.5" wide, and 11"-13" deep. Bass extension would be -3db / 35hz passive or down to 20-25hz with active equalization. Dual 8" woofers, 7" midbass, 2" Accuton dome mid, a new ribbon tweeter for $7,000/pair shipped to the CUSA. Includes a 4-way passive crossover or a Mini-DSP 4x10HD for fully active operation. A hybrid is also possible with Hypex or MiniDSP plate amps.