• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: College Football Anyone?
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jan 2015, 04:34 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:

Mike B.

« Reply #101 on: 12 Jan 2015, 05:21 pm »
I live in Eugene Oregon and I am a Oregon alum so you know how I feel. I was really up for the game tonight until late last week. Two of our starting players were suspended for testing positive for smoking pot. Here we have two young men playing for one of the top teams in the nation about to play for a national championship and they throw that all away. They not only sabotaged their future but also their team. Disgusting

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #102 on: 12 Jan 2015, 07:21 pm »
Well isn't it silly that we put so much importance (and money) into games played by college kids, most of whom have had their heads puffed up by fans, family, coaches, leaches, and the press.  No wonder so many of them (and their "professional" cousins) live like total idiots.

That said I enjoy watching football and hope it's a good game (well played, well behaved players, with no major injuries, and not a blow out).  I've got friends from both schools and although I'm a MSU fan, will root for the stylish Ducks.  (Boy Dantonio didn't give anything away when interviewed by ESPN this AM.)

charmerci

« Reply #103 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:40 am »
Well, I guess the game was interesting for a while in the 3rd qtr. Fairly disappointing....oh well.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #104 on: 13 Jan 2015, 06:04 am »
Well, I guess the game was interesting for a while in the 3rd qtr. Fairly disappointing....oh well.
Au Contrare.  I was sweating the score down to the last play... had 60 points for the tie breaker in the annual family bowl game pot and my nephew had 72.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #105 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:41 pm »
Congratulations to tOSU. They dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides. Great blocking schemes. EE had some truck size holes to run through. He also is a very strong and punishing runner. Jones throws an accurate ball, especially deep and is strong too. The early Oregon drops kept it from being a closer game, but the best team won.

Urban Meyer is clearly a great coach. He has done it at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and now tOSU. However, I thought it was classless to not take a knee on the one yard line at the end of the game in the last 30 secs and let the clock run out.

Mudslide

« Reply #106 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:43 pm »
Congrats to the National Champion and better team. 

Go....Bucks.   :cry:

charmerci

« Reply #107 on: 13 Jan 2015, 03:10 pm »

Urban Meyer is clearly a great coach. He has done it at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and now tOSU. However, I thought it was classless to not take a knee on the one yard line at the end of the game in the last 30 secs and let the clock run out.

Probably because it was the Ducks.

Why the t in front of OSU?

JCarney

« Reply #108 on: 13 Jan 2015, 03:31 pm »
"Why the t in front of OSU?"

It stands for "The" Ohio State University. In line with "The U" when alums refer to the University of Miami. College bravado.

JCarney

vinyl_lady

« Reply #109 on: 13 Jan 2015, 04:06 pm »
If you go to their website you will see "The Ohio State University."

Emil

« Reply #110 on: 13 Jan 2015, 04:17 pm »
"Why the t in front of OSU?"

It stands for "The" Ohio State University. In line with "The U" when alums refer to the University of Miami. College bravado.

JCarney

I thought it was to differentiate them from Oklahoma State Univ :scratch:

Mudslide

« Reply #111 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:19 pm »
I thought it was to differentiate them from Oklahoma State Univ :scratch:

And Oregon State University.  tOSU has called themselves that for a couple of years now.

Mudslide

« Reply #112 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:21 pm »
Probably because it was the Ducks.

:wtf:

charmerci

« Reply #113 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:25 pm »
:wtf:

Because they tend to run the score up on other teams plus they can score pretty fast. It's just my opinion. (Contrary to popular belief - I have been known to be wrong before!   :roll: :lol: )

vinyl_lady

« Reply #114 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:33 pm »
And Oregon State University.  tOSU has called themselves that for a couple of years now.

It goes back to the late 1800s according to friends who went to school there. Part of the official name from the state legislature. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:33 pm »
A couple thoughts...How many commercials is too many? Kinda disrupted the flow of the game IMHO. How can Ohio State keep digging up "second string" QB's that are as good if not better than the starter?  No question Ohio State was clearly the best college team in the country, especially in the last month or so.... and they barely sneak into the play-off. TCU gets snubbed and FSU gets in. This would have been a good year for an 8 team play-off,  even though OSU would have still come out on top. I'd eventually like to see an 8 team play-off, but certainly no more than 8. Eight is certainly a big enough pool to determine a true national champion. Four teams still somewhat leaves me with that crappy BCS feel.

Mudslide

« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:34 pm »
Because they tend to run the score up on other teams plus they can score pretty fast. It's just my opinion. (Contrary to popular belief - I have been known to be wrong before!   :roll: :lol: )

They have not been known for "running up the score".  They do score big, yes.  In almost every game this season the Ducks have pulled their starting units early in the 4th quarter...including Mariota.  Yep, you are wrong again.   :icon_lol:

Mudslide

« Reply #117 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:39 pm »
A couple thoughts...How many commercials is too many? Kinda disrupted the flow of the game IMHO. How can Ohio State keep digging up "second string" QB's that are as good if not better than the starter?  No question Ohio State was clearly the best college team in the country, especially in the last month or so.... and they barely sneak into the play-off. TCU gets snubbed and FSU gets in. This would have been a good year for an 8 team play-off,  even though OSU would have still come out on top. I'd eventually like to see an 8 team play-off, but certainly no more than 8. Eight is certainly a big enough pool to determine a true national champion. Four teams still somewhat leaves me with that crappy BCS feel.

Agree.  8 teams seem just about right.  BUT...they'd have to eliminate a game or two earlier in the season.  These 15 games the two teams have played this year was brutal.  Witness the Ducks without 6 starters for the CF game.  tOSU was into their 3rd string qb.  They for sure can't add another game on top of that to make it an 8 team playoff.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #118 on: 13 Jan 2015, 06:50 pm »
Congrats to the National Champion and better team. 

Go....Bucks.   :cry:

:(  Sorry your guys couldn't bring it home to the NW mud. For whatever reason whenever I flipped thru NBC last night I got commercials, so I didn't catch the game, wasn't sure where it was on the dial. Anyway, we'll keeps hopes up for next year, even if your QB heads to the bigs.  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #119 on: 13 Jan 2015, 06:53 pm »
ESPN