EM7

Flyin_V

EM7
« on: 11 Feb 2010, 10:58 am »
I'm interested in a SET and the EM7 looks interesting. How are you EM7 owners liking yours after using it for awhile? Have you compared it to other 2-5W amps (Decware, etc.)? 

Thanks  :D

~Lary

acresm22

Re: EM7
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2010, 08:12 pm »
I have a 2.5 watt EM7, and like it very much. I haven't compared it to a Decware amp, but I went through various 2A3 SET amps and an ASL 300B amp before moving to the Music Reference.

One big improvement is the amount of noise the amp generates...none. I use it with 104db Klipch LaScalas, and they're pretty revealing of upstream noise. The EM7 is virtually dead quiet at idle through the LaScalas, and that's with my ear right up to the speaker. The previous SET amps all had varying degrees of hum, but not the EM7. It's even more quiet than a battery-powered SI T-amp I use on occasion...the T-amp produces audible hiss through the LaScalas.

Flyin_V

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:26 pm »
Which 2a3 amps did you use? When I had the Decware Select we did a comparison with the Fi X 2a3. The Fi had bloated images bleeding together, a softer presentation overall; more like a watercolor than a photograph.  With the Select there was a distinct spacing between the performers that was very easy to hear and an overall clarity w/o any hardness/brightness. Clearly the Select was more accurate and let more information thru.

Thanks for the info.

~Lary

tybee

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2010, 01:52 am »
I also own the 2.5 watt EM7 driving a pair of 8" Radian 96 DB Coaxials.  I have compared the EM7 to both a 45, 2A3, and 300b amp and the EM7 is more extended in both treble and bass when compared to the 45, 2A3 or 300B.  The 45s are alittle more neutral and not soft like the 2A3 and 300B when comparing the EM7.

Decware amps are known for their neutrality and clarity, and I have auditioned the small Decware amps as well as the Torii and mini Torii. The EM7 would  be closer to the warmer side of the block when compared to more neutral Decwares. If you want alittle more power and neutral sounding, try the Music Reference RM10 amp.

Flyin_V

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:30 am »
Haven't heard the RM 10, but I'm leaning toward the simplicity of a single output tube.  The Transcendant SE OTL looks very cool, but just too many tubes (even if they are small) for my taste. A Decware TABOO SEP @ 6 watts would be OK, but I'm not sure if it will be warm enough, as I'll use it for TV audio and CD playback via my laptop. The EM7 might just be a good balance for my purposes. When the Select was here, I had great analogue so things were just fine.

I had a RM-9 back in the mid eighties and enjoyed it very much.

Thanks

~Lary

acresm22

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:38 pm »
In the past I had the Wright WPA3.5 amps and the Handmade Audio Basic 2A3. I also spend some time with a friend's ASL Tulip. I liked them all very much, but my impression (based on memory alone...I never directly compared any of these amps to the MR em7) is the same as tybee's...that the EM7 is more neutral and a bit more extended at the frequency extremes.

jmudrick

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2010, 02:53 am »
I'm loving my little EM7 2.5. Simple, low-heat, enough grunt to drive my 94db Hornshoppe Horns to levels plenty loud for me.