thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Deflate-gate
« on: 16 May 2015, 11:10 am »

dflee

Re: Deflate-gate
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2015, 11:55 am »
This could really deflate one's ego. And ya never know, he might even lose weight from this.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2015, 01:58 pm »
Frankly I don't care about the Pats or Brady, but don't want to lose whatever entertainment the league provides.  The NFL has turned into such a joke.  Millionaire criminals playing for billionaire owners, while we debate 2 psi?  Suggest the NFL and WWF merge.  Nearly all professional sports have turned into circuses.  Recommend minimum 90% pay cut, no product endorsements allowed, drop ticket prices by 75%, and limit advertisements to world cup style during the game.  We should all boycott.

Were any of the officials at the game fined?  Why didn't they notice (or is ball inflation really not that important)?  If it's a big deal, why don't officials have a pressure gauge with them (plenty of stoppages of play to have the time to check) or better yet maintain control over all the balls used?  Was Brady (and why him versus the ball boy, center, etc.) supposed to stop the game to get the pressures checked by an independent gauge?  The commissioner/league is overcompensating for their screw-ups.  Typical American lawyer solution - throw money at the problem versus coming up with some fixes.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2015, 02:21 pm »
That's true.  Sports is all about the money.  I'll watch stuff but I certainly don't have the same feelings I had about it 50 years ago.  It's the times.  Many if not most things are that way today.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2015, 02:25 pm »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2015, 02:48 pm »
Frankly I don't care about the Pats or Brady, but don't want to lose whatever entertainment the league provides.  The NFL has turned into such a joke.  Millionaire criminals playing for billionaire owners, while we debate 2 psi?  Suggest the NFL and WWF merge.  Nearly all professional sports have turned into circuses.  Recommend minimum 90% pay cut, no product endorsements allowed, drop ticket prices by 75%, and limit advertisements to world cup style during the game.  We should all boycott.

Were any of the officials at the game fined?  Why didn't they notice (or is ball inflation really not that important)?  If it's a big deal, why don't officials have a pressure gauge with them (plenty of stoppages of play to have the time to check) or better yet maintain control over all the balls used?  Was Brady (and why him versus the ball boy, center, etc.) supposed to stop the game to get the pressures checked by an independent gauge?  The commissioner/league is overcompensating for their screw-ups.  Typical American lawyer solution - throw money at the problem versus coming up with some fixes.
I couldn't agree more, JLM. It's just show biz now. Any pretense of sport was wrung out before Goodell showed up and exposed the raw seething innards of the NFL to the whole world with his clumsy, ham-handed mismanagement. Now it is all about sideshows, soap operas and glitz. Once upon a time statistics were pretty basic. Now the networks have announcers declaring that Jockstrap just set a new personal record for most curveball strikes in the second inning of a home game. Or Timmy just prayed four times during the half for his Aunt's younger daughter's nephew's friend who had to read about an abortion in order to get his dental hygienist Eagle Scout Badge.
The punter's wife is visiting their sick nephew in Baltimore while he's playing here in Minnesota. How do you think that will affect his game, Chris?
I've already entered into my personal boycott. No more Super Bowl trips for me. Doesn't matter if Peyton blows out his knee or Elway has a crippling stroke. My interest will remain steady disinterest.
It would serve Goodell and his handlers right if Brady just decided he's had enough of their crap and chose to retire. They need him a damn sight more than he needs them. Giselle makes enough for both of them. In his place, I would sell the mansion and retire to a quiet life in Germany or France.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2015, 06:20 pm »
I couldn't agree more, JLM. It's just show biz now. Any pretense of sport was wrung out before Goodell showed up and exposed the raw seething innards of the NFL to the whole world with his clumsy, ham-handed mismanagement. Now it is all about sideshows, soap operas and glitz. Once upon a time statistics were pretty basic. Now the networks have announcers declaring that Jockstrap just set a new personal record for most curveball strikes in the second inning of a home game. Or Timmy just prayed four times during the half for his Aunt's younger daughter's nephew's friend who had to read about an abortion in order to get his dental hygienist Eagle Scout Badge.
The punter's wife is visiting their sick nephew in Baltimore while he's playing here in Minnesota. How do you think that will affect his game, Chris?
I've already entered into my personal boycott. No more Super Bowl trips for me. Doesn't matter if Peyton blows out his knee or Elway has a crippling stroke. My interest will remain steady disinterest.
It would serve Goodell and his handlers right if Brady just decided he's had enough of their crap and chose to retire. They need him a damn sight more than he needs them. Giselle makes enough for both of them. In his place, I would sell the mansion and retire to a quiet life in Germany or France.

And yet, Tom Brady does not retire, even though, as you point out, he could quite comfortably indeed.

Hmmm?  Why would he keep playing?  Clearly he is in it for more than just money, and this proves to me that there still is a lot of Sport and Competition in mainstream professional athletics, despite the nay saying.  Yes, there are very likely some players in it for just the money, but I would present an alternative view, that most NFL players do it for the competition, challenge, and sport.
Some of these guys really want the challenge of sporting competition, and want to win, very, very badly.  Have a conversation with John Elway sometime, shrewd businessman yes, but also a guy who really, really wants to win, beyond the dollars, both as a player, and now as a manager.

I would not confuse the NFL League with the NFL player (or even manager and some owners).