Updated Line force (Super LS? )

mkrawcz

Re: Updated Line force (Super LS? )
« Reply #140 on: 2 Apr 2021, 03:53 pm »
Hopefully Danny comes up with a comparable line source soon.

Captainhemo

« Reply #141 on: 2 Apr 2021, 04:47 pm »
Still working on  alternatives for the Neo10
Not a flat pack either,  these  come glued up ready to finish.  Base and crossover board bolt right  on and there are no corners/edges etc left unfinished. Lots of attention to detail....

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #142 on: 2 Apr 2021, 08:32 pm »
It's crazy that the (probably) best midrange driver in the world has had it's availability just sort of dry up.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #143 on: 2 Apr 2021, 08:40 pm »
Cursed.

mkrawcz

« Reply #144 on: 2 Apr 2021, 09:04 pm »
It's crazy that the (probably) best midrange driver in the world has had it's availability just sort of dry up.
Just speculation on my part, but I suspect PS Audio is going to have them in their new speakers and they are hogging up the production.

cjsailer

« Reply #145 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:53 pm »
So what was the sensitivity and ohm rating on the prototype Super LS?  Do these type of designs require an insanely good amplifier?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #146 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:57 pm »
So what was the sensitivity and ohm rating on the prototype Super LS?  Do these type of designs require an insanely good amplifier?

Not in the least. IIRC the sensitivity is somewhere around 94-95dB and can be driven very well with 5-10 watts.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #147 on: 5 Apr 2021, 05:09 pm »

Since all the bass is offloaded to the self powered OB bass section, your main amp only has to drive the main panels from 150hz on up.  And as Mike says, the main panel section is 95db and a nice flat impedance.  A good 300b amp at 8 watts sounds amazing with them. 

cjsailer

« Reply #148 on: 5 Apr 2021, 05:39 pm »
Thanks guys.  I might have to wait and see if a replacement for the neo10 materializes.  Seems like an end game speaker design.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #149 on: 5 Apr 2021, 07:58 pm »
Thanks guys.  I might have to wait and see if a replacement for the neo10 materializes.  Seems like an end game speaker design.

Danny is diligently working on a replacement. Not sure how long it’s going to take with all the supply chain problems down to raw material producers but it will be worth the weighr

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #150 on: 5 Apr 2021, 09:44 pm »

There is no seems like.  It is an end game speaker design from someone that has heard them with passive and DSP crossovers and the dual 3x12 servo subs!  :thumb:

mkrawcz

« Reply #151 on: 5 Apr 2021, 10:16 pm »
I will take out a home equity loan in 3 seconds flat for this speaker.

david45

« Reply #152 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:05 am »
Since all the bass is offloaded to the self powered OB bass section, your main amp only has to drive the main panels from 150hz on up.  And as Mike says, the main panel section is 95db and a nice flat impedance.  A good 300b amp at 8 watts sounds amazing with them.

180hz on up and 98db efficient vs 97 for the Super-7 and 93.5 for the NX-Otica speakers, unless things have changed (?)

jeno

« Reply #153 on: 6 Apr 2021, 05:44 pm »
Where exactly do you find reasonably priced NEO10s?  I've seen them only priced @ $370 a pop, so a pair Super LS will run you $4440 just for those drivers, you'll still need a whole mess of NEO3s, the crossover, then the flat pack.

I believed Parts Express had them for $199, but didn't realize they were gone again. Anyway, if anyone is buiilding a speaker like this, they should be prepared to dig deep in their pockets. So I guess there is an economical and not an acoustic the reason for the relative short line of drivers. It probably works well anyway.  :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #154 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:34 pm »
The last price of the BG NEO10's at Parts-Express was $370.00 per planar.  They jumped alot on the last production before they went away.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #155 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:38 pm »
I think the cheapest i ever saw them was $249 a year or so ago, but they were still really limited as far as stock goes.

Jaytor

« Reply #156 on: 6 Apr 2021, 09:28 pm »
I was able to get the NEO10s for $320 each by buying 13 together (one spare). I ordered them last July from PE and finally got them in November.

Working on the crossovers now, and hopefully Jay (Captainhemo) will be able to make the cabinets for me this spring.

I'm excited!

Early B.

« Reply #157 on: 6 Apr 2021, 10:11 pm »
Working on the crossovers now,

I assume you're gonna use super premium crossover parts???

cjsailer

« Reply #158 on: 6 Apr 2021, 10:35 pm »
I assume you're gonna use super premium crossover parts???
Nah use the cheesy crossover parts to more easily match a yellow theme for the baffle.  After dropping that much cash on the drivers, you have to cut corners somewhere, LOL.

Jaytor

« Reply #159 on: 6 Apr 2021, 10:44 pm »
Here's a photo of one of the caps. There are several similar size caps in each crossover  :green: