35 Years of VMPS

John Casler

Re: 35 Years of VMPS
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2012, 12:26 am »

No, it's just that freight shipping on an approx $500 VMPS sub is not very attractive. I'm forced to look at other options. More subwoofer, less shipping cost in the deal. I understand that ultimately it might be worth it, but in the end I want to run potentially 4 subs, at least two, and the thought of how much the shipping would be on all that is a tough pill to swallow.

Got it.  However, shipping will be a cost and part of the price, no matter what the sales path.  I know some companies mask it via claims of free shipping, or reduced shipping, but unless they use Magic Carpet Shipping lines, they will be paying to get it to the customer.  And the customer will be paying for it too.

And I might mention that quite often VMPS speakers are far heavier that their "counterparts" who might use smaller magnets, or lighter weight MDF to the detriment of performance.

While there are cheaper and lighter subs, most do not compare to the capabilities of the VMPS "tunability" for MUSIC.

Strangely enough, the SUBS have been moving like hotcakes over the last several months or so.

And while talking about subs, Brian now has a NEW 215 Series II which is a bit smaller and slightly lighter.  Just started shipping.  Not sure if we even have a picture of it yet.

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2012, 12:53 am »
Since you are primary web-based now, some sort of reasonably up-to-date price list would seem a good idea as well.

Currently the most "up-to-date" Price Schedule is HERE

However, we will hopefully be re-doing it (to be easier to understand) after VEGAS.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2012, 12:54 am »
We now offer Series II versions of three subwoofers in the $549 to $699 range housed in 3 cu ft cabinets that weigh in around 70 lbs and measure about 20" square.  Since  UPS charges aaprox. 90 cents/lb for domestic shipping, freight charges can be quite reasonable.  These models are not yet on the website but will appear there soon after CES.  Here's the lineup:

Series II Dedicated Sub (12" active, 12" PR) with Megawoofer $549
Series II New Original Sub (12" active, 15" PR) with Megawoofer $599
Series II 215 sub (15" active, 15" PR) with Megawoofer $699

This is in the satin black finish.  We offer piano black, lite oak, and cherry veneers for $100 more.

Match these with the partsexpress (Dayton) plate amps such as the 240W model for around $229, the 500W model with parametric EQ for $329, or the 1000W rackmount amp with parametric EQ ($399) and you have a great sounding compact powered subwoofer for small dollars extending into the 20Hz-25Hz range at high output levels.  Driver upgrades are available where HT sound effects (explosions, dinosaur footfalls) require even higher power handling and output levels.

Even the Series II Larger ($899 w/Megawoofers) is UPS shippable, albeit at their weight and size limit of around 150 lbs.  Only the VSS and VLA require truck transport. Four finishes are available at this price, and piano black is $100 more.

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:04 am »
Brian,

Do you have a demo room(s) in El Sobrante?  I am somewhat local.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:20 am »
Yes, by appointment.  Call 510-222-4276.  What models are you interested in?

rbbert

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2012, 02:37 am »
John, I know all those things, but you aren't selling to me.  :D.  BTW, the identification of which pot belongs to which frequency range is not in the setup guides or any of the "sticky" topics, although it is mentioned in a different topic in this Circle.  The price list you link is NOT up-to-date (2007??), the one on the old website was more recent.  And what is an "HiVi" tweeter?

In the pages devoted to specific models, I saw zero examples of the new CDWG's, 2 of the old-style, and several with grill cloths.

Hey, I'm trying to give you guys a helping hand here :lol:

Doublej

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jan 2012, 02:49 am »
Any plans for a small two way?

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jan 2012, 03:31 am »

VMPS has been going strong for 35 years, so they've proven their ability to market products. We should humbly respect them for that achievement.   

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jan 2012, 04:12 am »
VMPS has been going strong for 35 years, so they've proven their ability to market products. We should humbly respect them for that achievement.

I currently run RM40's, and had a pair of Original Subs for about 10 years also.

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:01 am »

That actually does sound reasonable and CES is very soon. Would these new subs be available for order this month?

John Casler

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2012, 07:25 am »
John, I know all those things, but you aren't selling to me.  :D.

True and as Brian said all input is appreciated.

BTW, the identification of which pot belongs to which frequency range is not in the setup guides or any of the "sticky" topics, although it is mentioned in a different topic in this Circle.

I have corrected that now, so it explains which shaft to the L-Pads is which. Thanks for letting me know that wasn't clear.

The price list you link is NOT up-to-date (2007??), the one on the old website was more recent.

That date is the date the Price List was first posted, not the last update.  It has been updated many, many times since then, with the most recent being yesterday with the new Series II Subs Brian has announced.

The new VMPS website links directly to the one here on AC, as the old one was even more dated.

And what is an "HiVi" tweeter?

HiVi is a speaker driver manufacturer of the tweeter in the RM50.

In the pages devoted to specific models, I saw zero examples of the new CDWG's, 2 of the old-style, and several with grill cloths.

You are correct, the new pic(s) are on the home page slide show of the CDWG and the RM30 Series II w/CDWG.  Actually all the stock models designated SERIES II (except the RM50) will have CDWGs on them.  As pics become available for them, they will be uploaded to the website to replace the non-CDWG versions.

All appreciated, and keep the suggestions coming, as Brian said he tends to care more about building and designing speakers than marketing, and that is why pictures and websites are lower on the priority list than speaker building and Live versus VMPS demos.

I think we would all thank Dubravko of VMPS EUROPE who put a lot of work into the new Website.  Not being a computer geek, I know he has put many hours into the new site.

THANKS DUBRAVKO!! :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2012, 07:27 am »
That actually does sound reasonable and CES is very soon. Would these new subs be available for order this month?

They can be ordered now, but delivery would be shortly after VEGAS, which is only a couple weeks away.

Darac

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jan 2012, 09:10 am »
Congratulations for such a long-standing work in a volatile industry. Colleagues in sound-Mr. DUBRAVKO , who participated in the design of a new web site is away from me just 60-kilometers.

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jan 2012, 09:17 am »
Ok, I'll check for them on the site.

Can I ask how you would compare the Dedicated and New Original subs, with their passive radiators, versus subs that have dual active drivers?

rbbert

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm »
I'd still like to know more about the tweeters in the RM50.  The FST and older tweeters were described on the Website, but I haven't been able to find similar postings on the RM50's tweeters.

I know Big B cares more about the designing, manufacturing, etc. than the marketing, I wouldn't have it any other way.  But he's got to keep selling them too, or I might not have the option of getting new VMPS speakers when I'm ready to upgrade!

John Casler

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jan 2012, 03:56 am »
I'd still like to know more about the tweeters in the RM50.  The FST and older tweeters were described on the Website, but I haven't been able to find similar postings on the RM50's tweeters.

I know Big B cares more about the designing, manufacturing, etc. than the marketing, I wouldn't have it any other way.  But he's got to keep selling them too, or I might not have the option of getting new VMPS speakers when I'm ready to upgrade!

If you can break free to come to VEGAS, you can hear the tweeters in the RM50, and B, can explain in detail why he uses them for this design.

Hope to see you there.

Darac

« Reply #36 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:03 am »
In his 35 years VMPS was present in many places. One of these is the eastern-called Croatian-Slavonia in Osijek. My colleague Dubravko prepared a small audiophile session.

« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2012, 09:49 am by Darac »

Darac

« Reply #37 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:05 am »

Darac

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:42 am »

rbbert

« Reply #39 on: 3 Jan 2012, 03:03 pm »
If you can break free to come to VEGAS, you can hear the tweeters in the RM50, and B, can explain in detail why he uses them for this design.

Hope to see you there.

Not gonna happen.  :lol:

but it would seem to be a worthwhile addition to the Website