A question about digital I/O

JakeJ

A question about digital I/O
« on: 5 Feb 2010, 05:01 pm »
Hi all,

This may not have been the right circle so if needs to be moved that's cool.

Which I/O is the most preferable?

I recently upgraded to a separate DAC/transport kit.  I didn't really consider I/O when I was shopping and ended up with a transport that has Superlink (proprietary?), Toslink, Coax, and AES/EBU outputs and a DAC that has Coax, AES/EBU, I2S, and Toslink.  So which is the best interface?

TIA,
JakeJ

audioengr

Re: A question about digital I/O
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2010, 08:08 pm »
Hi all,

This may not have been the right circle so if needs to be moved that's cool.

Which I/O is the most preferable?

I recently upgraded to a separate DAC/transport kit.  I didn't really consider I/O when I was shopping and ended up with a transport that has Superlink (proprietary?), Toslink, Coax, and AES/EBU outputs and a DAC that has Coax, AES/EBU, I2S, and Toslink.  So which is the best interface?

TIA,
JakeJ

For the lowest jitter, the computer interface should be asynchronous.  This can be PCI, Firewire or USB.  My new 192 USB interface on the Pace-Car USB is async.  With a properly designed async interface, the cable is unimportant, so this saves money.

The DAC interface for lowest jitter, at least with my products is the I2S interface, but my S/PDIF is also extremely low-jitter.  In most systems, you will not hear a difference.  The cable to the DAC is critical.  Buy the best you can find in 1.5m length.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2010, 08:56 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  I was under the impression that I2S was better because the data and clock streams were separated thus providing lower jitter.  Obviously if S/PDIF is done properly it isn't an issue.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2010, 09:38 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  I was under the impression that I2S was better because the data and clock streams were separated thus providing lower jitter.  Obviously if S/PDIF is done properly it isn't an issue.

Correct.  Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't do a good job with S/PDIF.  I have modded dozens of products to fix them in the last 10 years.

Steve N.