Any plans regarding mods for Lavry DA-10?

325xi

« on: 30 May 2006, 08:53 pm »
Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding between DAC1 and Lavry DA-10... Just wondering if there are any plans to develop mods for Lavry?

Thanks!

audioengr

Re: Any plans regarding mods for Lavry DA-10?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2006, 08:57 pm »
Quote from: 325xi
Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding between DAC1 and Lavry DA-10... Just wondering if there are any plans to develop mods for Lavry?

Thanks!

This would be interesting.  This DAC has some real innovations in it.  If you sent one, I would mod it.  I am working the backlog real hard to reduce it to a reasonable wait...

Steve N.

slwiser

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2006, 10:18 pm »
Yea, but how would you mod it?

What changes would you make?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2006, 04:53 pm »
Quote from: slwiser
Yea, but how would you mod it?

What changes would you make?

Same changes that I make to all DAC's.  They all have essentially the same weaknesses.  See my mod list for the Benchmark DAC-1 on the website.  Also, I will look for other problems, such as broken ground-return paths and stray capacitance etc..

Steve N.

325xi

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2006, 07:49 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
They all have essentially the same weaknesses.  See my mod list for the Benchmark DAC-1 on the website.

If the problems are well known and obvious, what is the reason they're not treated as part  the original design? Budget?

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2006, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: 325xi
Quote from: audioengr
They all have essentially the same weaknesses.  See my mod list for the Benchmark DAC-1 on the website.

If the problems are well known and obvious, what is the reason they're not treated as part  the original design? Budget?

Knowledge and experience, and occasionally cost.  Very few designers are experts in all areas of design.  They are not well known and obvious to most designers, even Sony's best.

See this paper for more info:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/modsnugent.htm

mikey300

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2006, 11:40 pm »
I too might be interested in a mod for my LavryBlack DA10. I just received the DA10 a few weeks and will be turning it up when I get my new Odyssey Mono Extremes in a few days.  I already have a EA turbo modded Sony S7700 that Steve modified for me so this could turn into a pretty good front-end!

So who wants to be the guinea pig on this? Supposedly, the DA10 is a damn good stock DAC so it would be interesting to see how much extra performance that Steve would be able to tweak out of it.

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2006, 05:12 pm »
Quote from: mikey300
I too might be interested in a mod for my LavryBlack DA10. I just received the DA10 a few weeks and will be turning it up when I get my new Odyssey Mono Extremes in a few days.  I already have a EA turbo modded Sony S7700 that Steve modified for me so this could turn into a pretty good front-end!

So who wants to be the guinea pig on this? Supposedly, the DA10 is a damn good stock DAC so it would be interesting to see how much extra performance that Steve would be able to tweak out of it.

What would be interesting is to determine whether an I2S interface is possible, particularly if I can leverage designs that I have done for other DAC's.  If it uses a CS8414 receiver, then this may be relatively easy.

Steve N.